• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyswitching for Finale 2012

Share/Bookmark

Keyswitching for Finale 2012

I have seen a number of threads on this subject, however, after a while they all run begin together for the newbie. And I'm sorry and apologize to those who've seen this thread a thousand times... To cut to the chase and save time, I need to set up a number of keyswitches in Finale 2012 for the GPO library. I understand the basic concepts - "create" a new articulation, expression, etc. in Finale, set and assign the KS to be used to it, then when I want to invoke it I simply use the newly created set (preferably using symbols?) to turn on/off between the articulations I'm using in a piece (e.g. sustain to tremelo and back in violins). I want to be able to do this inside of the Finale software in the appropriate areas with symbols to make it easy for me to apply to any new works I create.

One last thing... I am exporting the final orchestrations to a MIDI file, bringing them into ProTools and/or Logic for mixing down for a CD I'm working on. Will the KS carry over to these so that no matter what instuments my audio guy applies (GPO or whatever), the KS effect i'm attempting will carry over as well? If not, how would I address that?

Can anyone "quickly" just tell me how to create one for the road, easily without too much rhetoric or Q&A? I'm confident if I can get one done (step by step), then I can figure out the rest I would assume (hopeful?).

Best regards,
    Isaac

Re: Keyswitching for Finale 2012

First question, why do you need to do this? The GPO keyswitches are already programmed into Finale's default preferences. The work by default.

Adding the text expression "pizz" switches to pizzicato. Putting in the tremolo slash articulation switches to the tremolo patch, etc....

To test this out, create a test file in Finale using the setup wizard to create your blank score. Finale will automatically load the correct samples, and the correct libraries to achieve correct playback. Put some notes in this test file with "pizz, arco, tremolo, slurs, accents, ...) and see if they work for you.

Regarding the midi file, I assume that the midi file will include the keyswitches, but I've never tried it so I don't know for sure. But if the keyswitches are missing, simply pencil them into the piano roll in PT and they'll work.

Jeff

Thanks much for your response. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been traveling for work.

Since your posting I've been playing around with music notation and they work well for the most part. But I've noticed a few exceptions here and there. In many instances I also need to create personalized expressions, articulation, etc. Typically I just copy/create a new. Changing tempo is easy, but I'm not well versed enough in some of them to make then work as I'd like (e.g. making a ritard. into a slight ritard, a crescendo into a slight crescendo or decrescendo equiv, shortening a cesura, introducing a luftpaus or breath mark, and so forth).

Another thing is the KS settings do not carry over into ProTools via MIDI, even when I reassign the same GPO KS instrument to the instrument track for some reason. To save time I've just been creating a new extra instrument in PT's and only placing the music lines that I want to get the effect. It works, albeit it cumbersome and duplicative. The other thing I've noticed when using a KS instrument in PT's is that during playback it can, at times, get distorted. So I stick with a separate instrument track.

That brings up another point ... Have you (anyone) experienced when working on a piece after making extensive changes that eventually the file, when played back begins to introduce "noise" or distortions, holding notes, etc.? Almost like it's a corrupt file? The only workaround I've found is to create a clean manuscript and copy/paste old file to new and resave. Then it plays back fine. Any ideas as to why? Is there a way to view any "hidden" data to clean it out?

Thanks again
    Isaac

Use Finale's Tempo Tap to "conduct" your performance. That'll give you more control over the tempo nuances.

I don't use PT, I use Logic. As a test, I exported a midi file with keyswitches from Finale into Logic, all of the keyswitches were indeed included in the midi file that I opened in Logic. So Finale is including them, as to why PT isn't seeing them, I can't answer.

Great! Thanks for the insight Jeff!
    All my best

Go Back to forum