• Register
  • Help

Topic: room accoustics

room accoustics

anyone know how to apply sophisticated room accoustics that mimic a live hall to a sample, using gig le? i\'m looking for something more realistic than just digital reverb and delay...maybe a combination of the two?

i\'m trying to make the bosendorfer sample sound like it\'s being played in a concert setting...real warm, and resonant.

Re: room accoustics

You could try the Acoustic Modeler from Sonic Foundry. It can capture the room noise signatures of a room and apply it to a sample. For the most realistic reverb, it needs to be captured when sampling and the reverb tail edited and attached as a release trigger. With a long decay, this can be very realistic and effective. Also, the TC works reverb is pretty close to the real thing in my experience. In comparing some samples of real ambience and the TC reverb, it was fairly close. TC reverb is available as a plugin on the Soundscape Mixtream card which is soon to be compatible with GigaSampler 1.6

Dave of NemeSys

samplitude 2496 offeres in the upcoming 5.1 version a true surround (2+2) convolution. But my experience says convolution on all systems presently never sounds as good as high end \"systhetic\" reverbs like quantec, lex or TC VSS, because the trigger sounds all have frequency gaps and therefore the reverb tail also has. So conv-sounds might sound very good on the one range, but the other sounds bad. If you need high end realtime reberb for less money, try the combination pulsar / Timeworks 4080L, It sounds close to a big Lex! To process single samples with it, take the direct x version of this plugin, so you don´t need DSP´s,

IMAGINE, that precalculated reverb within a sample cuts with the sound when releasing a key - it never sounds natural!

[This message has been edited by holger (edited 07-06-1999).]

Since you mentioned reverb, I wonder if you would offer opinions on reverb for vocals. I use a Rhode NT1 microphone that does a pretty nice job. But the Cakewalk Pro Audio 7.0 reverb is pretty mediocre.

Would you say that the Pulsar with Timeworks Reverb directx is the most economical way to get a professional reverb? Or is the only way to really get satisfactory CD quality to go into a recording studio for vocals?

hi patrick,

at first: the 4080L is available as native plugin for scope/pulsar, so you can route through any sound via the I/Outs without latency like on any hardware-reverb. The same algorithm is also available as direct X plugin for many PC-based editors (samplitude, cool edit pro, wavelab etc.). Direct X is great and very cost effective, but you have latency times if you try to route external signals through. But If you process recorded audio within a multitrack software, it works great and needs very low processing power (15% on my P450)!!

I would say, the combination 4080/pulsar is great and sounds like a expensive reverb and with a medium pulsar system (mine has 1 pulsar = 4 DSP´s + 1SRB expansion = additional 4 DSP´s) you can run 4 Instances of 4080 L at the same Time (the RAM acess limits presently). There is still enough power for the 32 channal mixer with all EQ´s active and you still have left approx. 3 DSP´s for synths, additional plugins etc.
    imagine, even the whole system needs a fast host, two boards, the plugin and a ADAT I/O unit, so see a total price of just approx. 3000 $ + the PC (256 Mb, P400 upwards). If you only need a professional reverb, the alternative would be quantec yardstick, a lex PCM 90 or a TC VSS. But those can only create 1 room, the pulsar creates 4 at once.

A word about professionality: If you work with fine equipment like rhode ( I worked with the NT 1 amplifies by a focusrite red on the production \"voice spectral 2\" - great, outperforms the neumann ) you should use a pulsar system, because of it great DSP power it performs even 24 bit / 96 kHz very well and it it possible to connect state of the art 24 bit A/D concerters via ADAT ports or spdif/AES-EBU.

A word about TC reverbs: They all - except for the new, very quantec-like and really great sounding VSS algortihm found in the 3000 hardware - sounds very cold to me, hardware AND plugins . The native direct X Reverb is easy to adjust, but it sounds a little metallic.

holger is right. The pulsar/Sonic Timeworks reverb gives you about 4 lexiconish reverbs which can be program seperately; therefore, you have many rooms simultaneously. I can get about 6 reverbs on one pulsar card. Maybe I\'m lucky some people\'s mileage varies. I own an Nt1 mic also and It picks up ANYTHING. It picks up my water heater which is in another room! I can barely notice my water heater until I use the NT1. The quality is gorgeous and it has a flat response 20-20khz so no colorations here.

Good luck.

Hey Holger, try putting some Vitous/Siedleczeck gigasampler sequence with one of the gigapianos playing the melody and run through pulsar and run it through a 4 pole filter and place the cut-off frequency to about 1100hz and then place it through the reverb. You will swear you are listening to a live concert in the balcony seats. It blows me away. Anything you can think of, you can probably do with pulsar. Basically you put in ANY audio signal and route it through whatever you want and twist it around and just go haywire and pulsar will do it. Rumour has it gigasampler support will be ready in August for pulsar, all 16 channels. Then I will be in heaven. I probably won\'t ever leave the house again.

Again I have to say gigasampler and pulsar are the best musical investment I made.

Well, this reply is mainly for Jill. As I\'ve indicated eslewhere, the BOS is a tough sample to work with. I own it, and I also own the Steinway. I\'ve come to very much prefer the LATTER.

Anyhow, I achieved pretty phenomenal results using a hint of SB Live reverb (which works realtime with GS if you want an inexpensive verb to add to your live improv or performance work), supplemented with either the timeworks verb or hyperism hyperverb, layered RIGHT ON TOP of the recorded Live verb. I find hyperverb a little cleaner than timeworks; but they\'re both so good it may ultimately be a question of taste. DITTO what others have already said about TC works reverb.

If you like, I can e-mail you an example of my verb with the Steinway (strictly classical music, however).

This post is very old!

Did you dig it out for fun? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I think NS is haunted by the ghost of Simon

Go Back to forum