• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How does Protools compare to Cubase,Nuendo or Sonar.

Share/Bookmark

How does Protools compare to Cubase,Nuendo or Sonar.

I have a friend that wants to help him put together a recording system .
    After he spent his spending money on a Yamaha 02R96 and Montu\'s latest soundcard and interface[I think its a 2408 mk 2 firewire] and 2 AMD XP2200 computers[one for the sequencer and one for giga]and spending $500 to a employee of the store were he bought it all from ,to hook it all up, he was finally informed that the 02r wont work with his setup.

So the Samash store said they would give him all his money back on the Yamaha board towards items in the store.
    So he\'s thinking of getting the latest Protools setup.
    Im trying to talk him out of it and to use the money on other things in the store to complete a working recording system.

2 questions
    Are there really any advantages of Protools if he doesnt care about compatability with other studio\'s .All the recording will be done at his location [no need to send hard drives to other studio\'s for the rest of the projects].

Second question If the consences is to use another sequencer other than Protools then , what is a midi mixing desk of choice, compatable with current sequencers?

Re: How does Protools compare to Cubase,Nuendo or Sonar.

Opps I should have proof read it before posting.
    Well you know what I mean.

Ultimately it all depends on what he wants his setup to do. I\'m somewhat surprised that they would say the O2R is not compatible... what does he want it to be compatible with? What is his application? From the hardware you posted it should all be compatible to do what each piece of gear is designed to do. I know several people running O2Rs with 2408\'s.... works great. The bad purchase decision may have been the $500 to the employee [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If he wants a straight forward Audio workstation, PT is pretty simple to use I think. However it stops there. I don\'t think it\'s good for MIDI at all - and it\'s sooo freakin expensive. There\'s an insane number of recent threads going between all the different programs and what they do, so try reading a bit of them for specific program advice.

As for a MIDI Mixing desk.... probably one of the Mackie units would be a good choice. They have the same basic board available for several DAWs.

If it was my money, I\'d spend the PT $$$ on a way less expensive DAW with some great audio cards, and spend the rest on some great front end gear (high quality mics and mic pres etc...) and then of course drop as much into cool sample libraries as possible!!!

You might check out some online stores for a good reference on DAW packages. That\'s my 2¢

Ken,

I have 3 Pro Tools rooms and a few 02Rs around the place.
    I actually beta tested (meaning bought one of the first batch!).

The guy at the store could be a complete idiot.

An 02R96 should kick *** in that application. you just need the lightpipe cards for it.

As far as Pro tools goes......
    I love.
    I live in it.
    I am loving the depth in my mixes in it.

But I would never buy a Pro Tools rig from an ordinary retailer. Too many variables to trust to anyone other than a long time PT user.
    Plus depending on how much power he needs he may be far better off buying used PT mix series cards.

If you would like to give me more details I may be able to point you in a clearer direction.

But again, the 02R96 would kick butt in that application.
    Send me a PM. I would be glad to help.

Hi Ken.

Opinions vary; here is mine. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Once upon a time, it made sense to spend $12,000 USD to get a ProTools rig if you were serious about doing audio. The main advantage was the fact that all of the processing took place externally within the PT gear, which meant that your Mac was only left with managing MIDI and screen re-draws. (Not literally, but you get the idea)

As computers began to get faster and faster, it became possible to get \"like ProTools\" quality if you had a limited amount of audio tracks. The popularity of the VST plugin format was a direct indicator of this trend. While ardent VSTers claimed that ProTools had become obsolete, we all still knew that when push came to shove, there were a lot more things that PT could do that we couldn\'t.

Now that Apple has announced the G5s and their ridiculous processing power, this question has re-emerged with a vengeance. Does it make sense to spend $12,000 for an audio sequencer when Apple itself has now gotten into the game with Logic? And is the TDM brand as powerful a factor now that Apple is pioneering AUs with near-zero latency? Remember the test they did in the QuickTime video in which they had something insane like 80 EQs and 5 reverbs running on 115 tracks? Has the ProTools advantage become academic?

As an aside, I think Digidesign missed the boat on the whole MIDI/virtual instrument thing as well. It is kind of a joke that ProTools\' MIDI implementation is still stuck in the dark ages while even programs like CakeWalk and Digital Performer (no offense!) rock when it comes to MIDI.

I remember when I used to visit other composers\' studios back in the mid-90s. Every one of them had ProTools. Today, I hardly ever see it. Chris Young uses Digital Performer and is moving to Logic. Hans Zimmer uses Cubase. I know several successful TV composers who use either Logic, Cubase, or DP, but not ProTools.

So. If someone were to drop a fully-tricked out ProTools rig in my studio today, would I keep it? Sure. But it would be more cool in my mind if they just gave me the cash so I could pre-order a G5 and get my studio equipped with 5.1 surround instead.

My 2c. Let the flames begin!

Hi Ken.

Opinions vary; here is mine. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Once upon a time, it made sense to spend $12,000 USD to get a ProTools rig if you were serious about doing audio. The main advantage was the fact that all of the processing took place externally within the PT gear, which meant that your Mac was only left with managing MIDI and screen re-draws. (Not literally, but you get the idea)

As computers began to get faster and faster, it became possible to get \"like ProTools\" quality if you had a limited amount of audio tracks. The popularity of the VST plugin format was a direct indicator of this trend. While ardent VSTers claimed that ProTools had become obsolete, we all still knew that when push came to shove, there were a lot more things that PT could do that we couldn\'t.

Now that Apple has announced the G5s and their ridiculous processing power, this question has re-emerged with a vengeance. Does it make sense to spend $12,000 for an audio sequencer when Apple itself has now gotten into the game with Logic? And is the TDM brand as powerful a factor now that Apple is pioneering AUs with near-zero latency? Remember the test they did in the QuickTime video in which they had something insane like 80 EQs and 5 reverbs running on 115 tracks? Has the ProTools advantage become academic?

As an aside, I think Digidesign missed the boat on the whole MIDI/virtual instrument thing as well. It is kind of a joke that ProTools\' MIDI implementation is still stuck in the dark ages while even programs like CakeWalk and Digital Performer (no offense!) rock when it comes to MIDI.

I remember when I used to visit other composers\' studios back in the mid-90s. Every one of them had ProTools. Today, I hardly ever see it. Chris Young uses Digital Performer and is moving to Logic. Hans Zimmer uses Cubase. I know several successful TV composers who use either Logic, Cubase, or DP, but not ProTools.

So. If someone were to drop a fully-tricked out ProTools rig in my studio today, would I keep it? Sure. But it would be more cool in my mind if they just gave me the cash so I could pre-order a G5 and get my studio equipped with 5.1 surround instead.

My 2c. Let the flames begin!

Thanks for the input everyone.
    When I said that Bill mentioned that the 02r wasnt compatible, he meant with the rest of his system[2408\'s,Sonar or Nuendo, and giga on the other computer all connected via light pipe and a midi patch bay].
    He didnt specify why the stores sales guy that he had paid money to set it up convinced to him it was not compatable.
    I just know that guy has been trying to get it all running together , a few hours here and a few hours there for several months now and gave up . I will ask Bill to specify why the 02r wont work with eveything else and get back with you .

Your friend should be on the phone with Yamaha and MOTU tech support. They built the things, they know how they operate, and they should have him up and running in no time if there are any problems.
    -Hudson

Kenn, why don\'t you just download a copy of Pro Tools Free from the Digidesign site?

Your friend should be on the phone with Yamaha and MOTU tech support. They built the things, they know how they operate, and they should have him up and running in no time if there are any problems.

Reponse
    I sent Tascam a email tech question 2 months ago and still havent heard back from them.
    They are not the only company not reponsive to customers.
    He told me that he called the manufactures and I guess because there being many pieces in the setup ,he was unable to get the info.
    Although Yamaha did tell him to order the light pipe cards which he has done.

Kenn, why don\'t you just download a copy of Pro Tools Free from the Digidesign site?

Reponse
    Its not a question of downloading protools , because he has used it a few times and had limited knowledge of it.

I think he would be fine useng the Sonar or Nuendo that he already has ,and as someone already mention take that money you save and by a high end mic pre, better extenal converters etc.

Go Back to forum