• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Advantages of Kontakt compared to Gigasampler?

Share/Bookmark

Advantages of Kontakt compared to Gigasampler?

I would just like know whether Kontakt has some big advantages other than the possibility to run it as a plug-in instrument.
    Thanks
    Ondrej

Re: Advantages of Kontakt compared to Gigasampler?

so far I find it has way more control options

better filter options

all sorts of cool things one can do with simple samples.

Kontakt really is a full-fledged sampler with a lot of synth features that enable you to treat the samples as if they\'re oscillators in an analog synth. That plus the granular stuff takes it way beyond a traditional sampler.

Samplers like Giga and Mach5 are more traditional samplers -- set up a keymap, add effects, and trigger from a keyboard. Kontakt is capable of much more.

So if I do only orchestral stuff and have already a dedicated computer with Gigastudio it would not bring to me any great advantages (for instance as regards ability to reproduce orchestral instruments\' performance more realistically)if I switched to Kontakt?

Originally posted by ondrej:
    So if I do only orchestral stuff and have already a dedicated computer with Gigastudio it would not bring to me any great advantages (for instance as regards ability to reproduce orchestral instruments\' performance more realistically)if I switched to Kontakt?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The control options could allow for a more realistic performance in some cases.

At this point in both applications development I really don\'t think the question should be whether or not to switch to Kontakt, but instead should be whether or not to add Kontakt in addition to Gigastudio. I see allot of people doing this at least at this point in time. In my experience Kontakt has been steadily growing in popularity. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

One cool Kontakt feature that rarely gets mentioned it seems is Time Machine and Tone machine features.I used the Time Machine analyzer today to speed up a \"Drumkits from hell\" Loop. and i ended up with a wicked Deathmetal Drum track.Very handy if for times when u dont what to bother with Hitpionts and stuff... GL Rich Pell [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

As others have said, ideal scenario is Kontakt AND Giga. Although you can to some degree import giga samples to kontakt, you loose stuff most of the time in the conversion. Presently, there are no good strings/orchestrals specifically for kontakt. Anybody know differently?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Kontakt is a great complement to Giga and vice versa. They are both great samplers, with different strengths. I think this will continue to be the case--they\'re pursuing very different paths.

Hi Bruce,

I\'ll ask the obvious. What are the different paths?

Thanks

Originally posted by David Das:
    Kontakt really is a full-fledged sampler with a lot of synth features that enable you to treat the samples as if they\'re oscillators in an analog synth. That plus the granular stuff takes it way beyond a traditional sampler.

Samplers like Giga and Mach5 are more traditional samplers -- set up a keymap, add effects, and trigger from a keyboard. Kontakt is capable of much more.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Very true, I think.

It can really be used as a subtractive synthesizer with standard (and not so standard) modulation features, filters etc. Very deep and results are sometimes much better than any classic Moog, Oberheim or Prophet. That, without actually sample one of these. Though this has been done in hardware in the 90\'s (Kurzweil, E-mu), perhaps this is the best software in this area.

Also, It\'s a \"sampler\". I havn\'t checked out that feature yet [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hakan

Go Back to forum