• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: String Trio No. 1 - !st Movement

Share/Bookmark

String Trio No. 1 - 1st Movement

Hi all.
    After a long time I'm back to the gold vein of composition.
    It all started from the basics: why bother my tired mind - and listeners' one too - dealing with big ensembles?
    So I went to write a string trio, whose 1 st movement can be heard here:

https://www.box.com/s/2638c82260a4894f98cc

I also wrote a 2nd movement and I hope it will be premiered next year in Sweden. I will post it as soon as I have news on this.

3rd movement will be a minuetto-scherzo.

About the 4th one, who knows? I trust in listeners bearing with me.

Comments are welcome.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: String Trio No. 1 - !st Movement

Oops, Fab, your Box file doesn't seem to be working. The page comes up, but the MP3 doesn't play when I click the button. Please check on that so we can hear!

EDIT: NEVER MIND!--It's working now. Some kind of momentary interference on my computer--Sorry. Now I'm listening.

Randy

Please pardon that earlier post when I couldn't get the file to play at first. Totally my problem.

I was taken in by the piece's quality which I can describe as a mood of a sad, groping kind. But throughout there's a strong feeling of determination that keeps cutting through the mood. Plenty of musical surprises that kept me interested.

Fab, you must be glad that you're back to composing - Thank you for posting some for us to hear.

Randy

Hi Fabio,

Glad you have returned with this seriously brooding piece; a lot of music. Very nicely done. I really liked that little octave cadenza at the end.

Good luck with getting the 2nd movement played in Sweden and I look forward to hearing the following movements.

Regards,

Frank

Thank you Randy and Frank for listening and commenting.
    It all started out as a time-filler, facing a row of blank virtual pentagrams.
    You both heard a lot of things I was unconsciuos they where there.
    Mostly the same my psychoanalyst finds in my speeches to her. And you are fairly less expensive!
    I wish to submit to your attention the comment a musical fellow sent to me - he is a teacher, composer and conductor:

I've listened to your new pieces. First your trio.

In the first movement, you open with a strong theme (in unison); that theme reappears a number of times and it closes up the first part. I must say that the end is very powerful and amazing. In the middle section, you seem to struggle with a rather classical melody line and a present day harmony: a continuous battle between modernism and classicism. Surprising that is! As a whole, I like it, though I miss some tension and building up to some sort of climax or antithesis. This may sound somewhat complicated, but longer pieces demand some relief (heights and lows), tension and release. Furthermore, I noticed some strange use of the up/down bows in all the parts, but that is probably due to the sound bank you've used (GPO?).

I find it interesting, because I feel he listened toin terms a musical director thinks: you can't force performers to be in the same stte of mind for about 10 minutes. They need to relax both mentally than physically.
    First dilemma: to shorten it or to introduce "climax" and "anthitesis" in what is already there?
    I will take care of all of your opinions.

Thank you again
    Fabio

Great piece, yes it is a struggle. A nice struggle!! Loved that hesitation at about 2;20. And the rest of course.
    This very first piece of music I've listened to this morning,what a way to awake!

Good luck and congratulations,

Raymond

Thank you very much, Raymond.
    What a credit to hear these words from a Master.
    Hope it isn't a bad new for you to know it's entirely Notion 3 made.
    May I ask your opinion about the comment my musical fellow sent to me?

Thank you again
    Fabio

Re: String Trio No. 1 - 1st Movement

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    So I went to write a string trio, whose 1 st movement can be heard here:
    https://www.box.com/s/2638c82260a4894f98cc
    I don't have much to say right now as I've only listened to this once but I liked it so much that I will certainly return again soon. (And not to disparage some things that you can come across on the Internet, but it's not always that you find music that you want to hear again!).

I liked the Notion rendition but I think this movement needs a wider range of dynamics in the performance. Did you have any control over that other than (I assume) the dynamic markings in the score?

Re: String Trio No. 1 - 1st Movement

Quote Originally Posted by Mabry View Post
    I liked the Notion rendition but I think this movement needs a wider range of dynamics in the performance. Did you have any control over that other than (I assume) the dynamic markings in the score?
    Hi Mabry.
    Thank you for listening once. At least.
    About your question, Notion doesn't give you a wide range of control in the midi field (e.g. you can record mod wheel in realtime but you can't "draw" or fine-tune it unless you re-record it. In short is a mess).
    But I want to assure you I will work on the "performance" side of this composition as soon as I will I've other projects done.
    Best regards
    Fabio

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Thank you very much, Raymond.
    What a credit to hear these words from a Master.
    Hope it isn't a bad new for you to know it's entirely Notion 3 made.
    May I ask your opinion about the comment my musical fellow sent to me?

Thank you again
    Copied text:
    I've listened to your new pieces. First your trio.

In the first movement, you open with a strong theme (in unison); that theme reappears a number of times and it closes up the first part. I must say that the end is very powerful and amazing. In the middle section, you seem to struggle with a rather classical melody line and a present day harmony: a continuous battle between modernism and classicism. Surprising that is! As a whole, I like it, though I miss some tension and building up to some sort of climax or antithesis. This may sound somewhat complicated, but longer pieces demand some relief (heights and lows), tension and release. Furthermore, I noticed some strange use of the up/down bows in all the parts, but that is probably due to the sound bank you've used (GPO?).

I must listen to it again. Remember, this is an opinion of somebody, nothing more. He may be right about it. Later today I will have a second look at it. A climax isn't always necessary in the sense that the voices clash together in one scream of freedom. Sometimes just fading away, - see this a discussion - when somebody suddenly shuts up and starts another thesis, is also a climax (more anticlimax).

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast