• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I get cymbals to play back in Aria, GPO4 and Overture4 - help!

Share/Bookmark

How do I get cymbals to play back in Aria, GPO4 and Overture4 - help!

Hi - I hoped the separate samples for the percussion in GPO4 notation would let me treat Bass Drum, Cymbals etc as "normal" instruments. I use Overture4, which is super for everything else, but I've never got percussion to work. Bass Drum will play back on its own channel as long as I write it on a bottom G (as in GM sample bank), but not cymbals. I've tried changing the "heads" and the "pitch" I write them at as per the GM list I get if I double click on the clef at the start of the stave - but nothing happens, no playback sound.

I guess it has to do with mapping between Overture and Aria, but I am going round in circles at the moment. It would be nice to set up a full percussion section in an Aria player as I have done for orchestral strings, woodwind and brass - but the percussion just doesn't seem to work the same - not even sticking them all on channel 11 like old time GM sound fonts (I never got that to work properly either!).

All my orchestral scores play back without problems but the only percussion I manage to get is timpani and bass drum.
    Anyone point me where I'm going wrong - or suggest a method of re-setting it up to get it right?

AlanBartlam
    Last edited by AlanBartlam; 05-30-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: should be channel 10 - not 11

Re: How do I get cymbals to play back in Aria, GPO4 and Overture4 - help!

If anyone else is struggling with percussion as in my last post, I think I understand a bit more now. I think Bass drum is handled as a pitch instrument, and Aria player offers B (quieter) C (louder) and C# (bass drum roll) below the bass clef stave as playable notes. So set Bass drum in an Aria player on any channel and use ordinary notation on the 3 given notes (B,C and C# below bass clef stave) and it works as any other pitched instrument. The track properties window (right mouse click on track) is set to the Aria player VST instance being used, and the channels for the voices as set in Tracks window). The names of the tracks on the score, and the appropriate clefs can be forced in the usual way in setup track window (double left mouse click at beginning of stave before the clef to bring up window).

It seems Overture doesn't handle the separate Cymbals offered in GPO - presumably because non-pitch instruments are essentially different in their handling - so I loaded GPOs Basic Orchestral percussion onto another channel in my Aria player. The keyboard shows 3 blocks available, and the bottom ones are the same Bass drum, the top ones are the gong/Cymbals/triangle I couldn't get to work from the separate sample offered (however, they work perfectly in this combined set), and the middle bit (middle C# down to the Ab below) are various snare drums. Because of the huge separation in the note range, I modified a piano great stave and have bass drum on the bass stave, snare on either, and cymbals etc. on the treble stave. If these percussion instruments are used in combination (as typically they would be eg. Bass drum and cymbals clash - or cymbals and gong) the notation needs setting to separate voices to get it all on one stave in Overture.

There are probably other refinements to discover, but I'm pleased to have sorted my orchestral percussion out! It was possible to set the midi stuff through the on-board synthesiser on channel 10 and map it all - but the GPO samples are so much better, and I wanted to do it all through Aria player.

Alan

Re: How do I get cymbals to play back in Aria, GPO4 and Overture4 - help!

Sounds like you need what Sibelius calls an "instrument definition" file for GPO's percussion. The instruments are spread way out over the possible MIDI notes, as you've seen. When playing a keyboard, that's no problem - we can see as we play if we're in the right octave, because we can see the keys playing in ARIA's keyboard.

A definition file will re-assign those notes so you can make sense of them in your notation.

Randy

Go Back to forum