• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: WWDC

Share/Bookmark

Re: WWDC

Okay, that\'s really impressive...so I went to the Apple store and checked out the new G5s...they *start* at 2 grand...that\'s for a machine that has 256 MB of RAM...I\'m not trying to detract or anything (\'cause I\'ll probably be buying one of these Macs at some point), I\'m just saying that for 2 grand, I could build 2 PCs (w/ 1 Gig RAM each) that\'ll make a hell of a lot of music.

There\'s no comparison anymore! Those G5\'s will revolutionize music on the Mac and make multiple PC\'s a thing of the past.

For the time being Apple once again rules the speed barrier like it once did when the G4\'s first came out. I\'m sure that in 2-3years time PC\'s will once again surpass this technology....but right now, today, it\'s Apple time!

I can\'t wait to see what Emagic will do with all this power!

You can build FOUR p4 2.4 with a gig of 333 ram for 2 grand. If you want two gigs in each, make that exactly 2.430. I\'m picking mine up on monday.

I\'m really interested in these developments, but I\'ll believe one G5 outperforms four Pentiums running in parallel when I see it!

Originally posted by Hildog:
    Okay, that\'s really impressive...so I went to the Apple store and checked out the new G5s...they *start* at 2 grand...that\'s for a machine that has 256 MB of RAM...I\'m not trying to detract or anything (\'cause I\'ll probably be buying one of these Macs at some point), I\'m just saying that for 2 grand, I could build 2 PCs (w/ 1 Gig RAM each) that\'ll make a hell of a lot of music.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh, cry me a river...

Originally posted by midphase:
    There\'s no comparison anymore! Those G5\'s will revolutionize music on the Mac and make multiple PC\'s a thing of the past.

For the time being Apple once again rules the speed barrier like it once did when the G4\'s first came out. I\'m sure that in 2-3years time PC\'s will once again surpass this technology....but right now, today, it\'s Apple time!

I can\'t wait to see what Emagic will do with all this power!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That is called wishful thinking. Every time apple release something new they try to make it sound like a revolution.. things like when Steve Jobs showed how amazing it was that OSX could play MULTIPLE VIDEO FILES!!! (I could do that on my old P1 350mhz).. Im a mac user to but I\'ve learned to not believe what they say until I sit down and work with the machine.

Lets hope everything is true and that they really are TWICE AS FAST AS THE FASTEST PC, blablababla [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

/Tobias

I just bought a new dual G4 1.25 two months ago..... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] s h i t!

At that time many people told me the G5 would be next year or --> \"years away\"<---.......

BTW... 4 pc are ten times as noisy though! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Looks like they configured this G5 for audio/video people. 3x less noisy than the G4..... Check out the pix! It \"looks\" really impressive.

Originally posted by kid-surf:
    BTW... 4 pc are ten times as noisy though! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not necessarily. Go with a Fortron power supply, which is 34 db peak. Asus MB (fanless), Radeon 9200 (fanless), Zalman 6500Cu (inaudible) and Seagate drives, and PCs are pretty competitive in the noise department. The PS and heatsink together are about $75. Asus ($135). Radeon ($75). Seagates (depends on the model). Quiet PCs are easy and cheap.

But I don\'t mean to hijack the thread. For people with a Mac software investment or a general Mac preference, the new Apple computers are pretty killer, compared to the previous generation. It\'s all good.

Some of you guys are cracking me up. This thing is a monster, no question. The Pcs that are in the same ballpark cost around $4000. Yeah, I\'d say it\'s a *pretty* good machine.

PS kid, I bought an MDD 1.25 last week and I have no regrets. It\'s still tough to get anything done in OSX for me.

Buy a MAc or a PC, do your work, be happy.

Cheers

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I dunno. To me it looks like this changes the whole picture. Two PCs with 1GB will do 320 voices right now. If what they\'re saying is true, one Mac with 8GB will do 1000. That\'s the equivalent of several Giga machines - even if it is the $3000 model that meets those specs, not the lower ones.

But Tobias is right - you really need to see what this really means.

On the other hand, this is looking pretty good, especially with many of the big libraries available in EXS24 format: VSL, Grandioso Bösendorfer, SI strings, and of course the EWQL orchestra on the horizon.

And one Giga machine and one pre-G5 Mac is a pretty good rig already.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast