• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What mixer should I get?

What mixer should I get?

I recently got paid for a gig and I\'m in the market for a nice mixer. The basic purpose for it will be to comp all the computers onto one track with absolutely clean sound. I tried to comp the computers with a midiman multimixer 6, but it muffles the sound quite a bit. It was $100, so I guess you get what you pay for. *shrug* Suggestions? Around the price range of 400-no more than 550.

Re: What mixer should I get?

I haven\'t looked into it a whole lot, cause I\'m also educating myself on the subject, but I\'ve been looking at the Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer, and it looks great and has a lot of features. It also runs around $350, so it would fit your budget. All the specs are here:

Anyone familiar with this? I\'d love to know how it works out. I\'ve worked with the 1202-VLZ Pro, but not much. Thanks.

I can vouch for the Mackie. I\'m very happy with mine. The choice of the 1202 versus the 1402 comes down to channels. The latter gives you two more plus sliders instead of rotary pots. Note that there\'s two stereo aux returns and a tape in that you can use as 6 more inputs if you\'re really hard up.

I would suggest that you consider the Soundcraft Spirit boards. For one thing, if you have a 4 I/O audio card in your main computer, both the Spirit FX16 and the Spirit Folio FX8 have four busses on them. You\'ll have to save a little longer, but if you can do it, the FX16 might be the better value.

I\'m very happy with my Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro. I have a 1202 VLZ Pro in my performance rack also.

You can sometimes find them used on Ebay if you want to save some money, but make sure you get the VLZ Pro, and not the previous model. The preamps are much better in the newer model.

-- Martin

Actually, if all you need to do is combine the outputs of your computers, then spend the $500 on a Delta 1010 sound card, or an Echo Layla 24. That will allow you to input 4 stereo analog tracks and one digital stereo track (the Delta 1010), with high quality outboard A/D converters. You can do the mixing once you get all the tracks into your mixing/sequencing computer.

That will give you MUCH better results than mixing them on a mixing console and inputting it to a mediocre sound card. Plus you will have the option after the fact of applying effects to each track, rather than only the complete mix.

-- Martin

Yes, what Martin said - look into your mixerless options - if it\'s just about routing, not volumes, then there are better ways today than mixers. I went mixerless about 6 months ago & have never looked back. My studio now looks like a swiss hospital. But a really loud one.

Do you have analog or digital outputs?
    What exactly do you need the console for (do you wanna do a lot of filtering...)?

Alaia Simeonova

If you go mixerless, how do you monitor the different outputs? What are the pros and cons of a mixer or being mixerless?

Originally posted by vash:
    If you go mixerless, how do you monitor the different outputs? What are the pros and cons of a mixer or being mixerless?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I just sold my 02R and gone mixerless so I needed a monitoring solution.

The question is what to put between the main outputs of my DAW audio interface and my active monitors, how to do talkback etc. Basically I needed the monitor section of a mixer.

I ended up with this
    and it works a treat. You can monitor 4 sources (simultaneously if you want.) It has outputs for three sets of monitors which you can switch between and a cue output with talkback mic. There\'s a mixture of balanced and unbalanced ins and outs. I paid £120 (about $200)

Furman do something similar but more pricey I think

There\'s a UK company called Audient that do a similar thing for surround monitoring but it\'s silly money.

A cheaper solution for surround monitoring is:

Go Back to forum