• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: G5, The perfect soft-sampler computer?

Share/Bookmark

G5, The perfect soft-sampler computer?

- 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz or Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 processors
    - Up to 1GHz processor bus
    - Up to 8GB of DDR SDRAM
    - Fast Serial ATA hard drives
    - AGP 8x Pro Graphics options from NVIDIA or ATI
    - Three PCI or PCI-X expansion slots
    - Three USB 2.0 ports
    - One FireWire 800, two FireWire 400 ports
    - Bluetooth and Airport Extreme Ready
    - Optical and analog audio in and out

I just drowned in drool.

I\'m assuming this thing has 8 RAM slots since you can stuff it with 8GB. It might be too expensive to fit 8x 1GB chips at present but cheap to fit 8x 512MB chips.

Two bottom of the range G5s loaded with a complete mic set up of QLSO anyone??? It looks like a distinct possibility.

I wonder how long Digi can keep on selling expensive DSP hardware? In the UK I could probably get 4x dual 2GB G5s for the price of a single HD3 system.

Re: G5, The perfect soft-sampler computer?

wont matter much if the performance of the sampler still sucks on this format.

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Depends on which sampler. I\'m getting massive polyphony counts with the EXS24 and it\'s as solid as a rock. With 8Gb of RAM in a G5 I\'d say that\'s pretty appealing if you own the EXS version of VSL.

You may have a point regarding Kontakt. STILL waiting for NI to come up the goods there.

I wasn\'t trying to start a PC/Mac war with this thread. I do own two Giga PCs!!! .... F%*@!g hate them though [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The next thing is going to be magnetic memory, according to a story I read a few days ago. No startup - it\'s like battery-backed memory.

They say it may be out in a year, but I don\'t know what its capacity is going to be like. If it\'s big enough, we wouldn\'t even need hard disks!

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m getting better performance out of my Dual 1ghz G4 with EXS24 than I was getting with Gigastudio running on a P4 1.8ghz....seriously! I have more polyphony, less crackling and popping, more stable environment and I love it enough that I retired the PC (which makes me officially a non-gigastudio user). I have all the functionality of GOS and the rest of my libraries and I don\'t have to deal with multiple audio interfaces, noisy computers, KVM switches and such.

I have no reason to doubt that the new G5\'s will give me twice the capability of what I have now which means....hello Altiverb!!! As soon as developers like Emagic start taking advantage of the 64-bit coding and OS X.3, the power will increase even more.

But, if you prefer to have a room full of PC\'s packed Matrix-style running up your power bill like there-s no tomorrow....be my guest!

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Depends how it\'s configured. If you allocate 8 Gigs of ram to Kontakt/Kompakt for example, performance will run rings around any dfd sampler performance.

Doug Rogers
    -------------------
    EASTWEST
    www.soundsonline.com

The report I read said only 4 RAM slots, but we\'ll know on Monday.

of course if I load a whole lib into 8GB of RAM it should rock [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

65 GB on the other hand [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Still its cool and all. I actually used to be a MAC fan, and was a network manager for a MAC network at quite a few years ago. Price vs performance had me jump ship tho. Here\'s to hoping the software on the mac side starts to look really good.

I personally would think about this route if Kontakt\'s synthesis side is strong on the MAC and if FXT worked crossplatform [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by midphase:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> wont matter much if the performance of the sampler still sucks on this format.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m getting better performance out of my Dual 1ghz G4 with EXS24 than I was getting with Gigastudio running on a P4 1.8ghz....seriously! I have more polyphony, less crackling and popping, more stable environment and I love it enough that I retired the PC (which makes me officially a non-gigastudio user). </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">IF this is really true I\'d consider jumping to Logic from DP. I already have an MDD 1.25 and the price of the hardware to set up 2 PCs as standalone giga machines has already run about $2000. That\'s not counting the computers or KVM switches either.

The thing is, can you get all the libraries you need? VSL, SISS, PA, VOTA. QLRI. I know, I should check.

well definitely I\'d go the G5 route, but I\'d prefer actual numbers and testing [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I mean I can get 160 poly from a duron 1.1 no sweat, so I\'m not sure whats going on with your 1.8.

I\'d totally look into another MAC if the performance and software was there.

If the price vs performance is actually better on the MAC then I\'d go that route, if its not, then I wont switch, running rackmounts is easy enough and I\'ve found some nice quiet parts to start using on all the new systems. So \"server\" setups is still the way I\'m headed (not to mention I can always jsut add a machine to the farm via FXT now). The modular setup just works way better for me right now, since I know I\'ll always need more machines to do this stuff realtime, 64 bit, 128 bit, googleplex bit [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (well maybe then [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

My main wish is that someone would design a new mass storage system thats faster than HDD and at a good price point. THAT is much more important than the fastest computer on the block with all the $$$ RAM you can stuff in it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This coming from a guy who had a Umax clone that had something like 10 RAM slots in it to make for 2GB of ram, and actually THOUGHT about filling it up [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast