• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can't hear some instruments when pointing and clicking.

Share/Bookmark

Can't hear some instruments when pointing and clicking.

Well, here’s a first. I have a suggestion that may solve some problems that others (myself included) have been having with I/O, percussion, etc. It is so extremely simple that I can’t believe I didn’t think of it before.

If you are entering from a music keyboard, you may not have run into this problem. This is for those of us who point and click.

I am using Finale 2012 and all kinds of Garritan samples.

If you are trying to use a powwow drum from W/I, for example, and simply cannot get it to sound on point and click method, try using a Bass Cleff with a small number eight below it. (you will find the symbol by selecting the clef icon in the upper left corner, highlighting the staff and right clicking).Then enter a C note – voila – the powwow drum plays great. Same with the I/O scifi bowed percussion: You have to be in bass clef to get it to work.

It may not be a solution with all systems, but it surely opened up a world of new sounds for me. Hope it helps.

Re: Can't hear some instruments when pointing and clicking.

Interesting, Tom - I really am constantly amazed to hear about the hoops notation users have to go through sometimes to get things to work. You're right that using percussion from any of the Garritan Libraries is straight forward for those of using a keyboard and recording software. With ARIA's interface open, we can immediately see where we need to play to reach notes.

I guess you didn't get the Pow Wow Drums until you were in the bass cleff because that instrument's notes are down there, 2 octaves below middle C, as can be seen in ARIA's virtual keyboard.

The only trick, such as it is, for the Sci-Fi Bowed Percussion you mentioned is that you when play one of its notes, you don't hear anything at first. You have to keep holding the note to hear the slow swelling up that's built into the programming.

P.S. I've tried to PM you a couple of times recently, but your inbox is always full.

Randy

Re: Can't hear some instruments when pointing and clicking.

Oops - I just went in and cleared all my messages.

Go Back to forum