• Register
  • Help

Topic: Save Tara ( Distant Memories Leave Their Tracks...)

Share/Bookmark

Save Tara ( Distant Memories Leave Their Tracks...)

I wanted to share this with the community. Save Tara, the original version was my very first composition which I created. Save Tara is included in my new album, Angel Tara - The Girl With Wings. I will be releasing it to everyone once I have everything completed. Would I

I used several different libraries to compose this including Garritan Instant Orchestra, EWQLSO, and Dimension Pro.

"Thanks again Randy! I find myself using less of the term song for my compositions. Just gotta break the habit part of it now."

Below is some information about Save Tara. I copied it from the description I placed in the youtube video.

This is the new remake to my most precious composition, "Save Tara." Since about 2003-present I have been creating many different compositions to Save Tara including a couple vocals. Save Tara plays the most important roll in all of my music, for the history and meaning behind the song is captured from my own past. Save Tara was created for the memory of a precious and wonderful girl whom once walked in my life.

This is my favorite passage and I often associate with Save Tara:

The darkening ink-colored sky
    Invites traces of distant days.
    Carrying childhood dreams and yearnings,
    Airplane trails flow and disappear.

If I crossed time
    To the me of that day,
    If I could tell her,
    I'd want to fly away.
    And as for fears, well
    Let them fall away just so
    From your tiny palms.
    The world is simply waiting
    For your shining eyes to make their debut.

Strange towns' unknown people
    Pass on by as though in a movie.
    Won't someone show me the path?
    The one remaining path I'm expected to follow?

If you open the door
    To the neighboring world,
    If you can go inside,
    Search for me.
    Follow your dreams, if only a little,

Those nostalgic days that took roundabout routes
    Do you remember them?
    And are you still
    Walking about with your shining eyes?
    The darkening ink-colored sky
    Invites traces of distant days.

Last edited by sururick; 06-03-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Uploaded the new version.

Re: Save Tara ( Distant Memories Leave Their Tracks...)

Hello again, sururick

This sounds just the way you described it in your post. A slow, gentle and plaintive tribute. The recording is nicely done, as is the uncluttered arrangement.

Do you mean for this to be part of your gaming work?--I wasn't sure about that.

As a piece standing on its own, I think it would be more effective at half the length. 4 1/2 minutes is a substantial length, and since this is one repeating chord progression, the second half isn't adding any more to the piece, it's just prolonging it unnecessarily, I feel. This is primarily one progression, with various harmonic lines coming in throughout. If a discernible melody emerged from it, possibly shifting the music into a new B section, and/or into a key change, then a length of maybe 3:00 could be sustained.

Very pretty - I'm just saying that it seemed to be over somewhere past the 2:00 mark, and that for me it wasn't effective to repeat the entire thing again.

Randy

Thanks for the feedback! This isn't related to LOE soundtrack, it's my own personal composition. I agree, it is quite repeating. I find sometimes when composing I tend to get stuck into music and for some reason my ears just love the loop! However, after not listening to it for few days, I can definitely see what you mean. I'll scrap everything past the solo viola and shifting the solo viola part would be a more effective approach to breaking the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! This isn't related to LOE soundtrack, it's my own personal composition. I agree, it is quite repeating. I find sometimes when composing I tend to get stuck into music and for some reason my ears just love the loop! However, after not listening to it for few days, I can definitely see what you mean. I'll scrap everything past the solo viola and shifting the solo viola part would be a more effective approach to breaking the loop.
    Hi, Sururick - I'm glad you took my feedback well. BUT, I'm just one person listening - I think it would be hasty to "scrap everything etc" only based on my post. If you really feel it could be shorter, or developed more, well great, but we do need to be careful about what advice/comments/feedback we react to.

When you described how much you "love the loop" when you're writing, and you've come up with something you really like - THAT is a very good description of what everyone feels as they write music. I know exactly what you mean, and everyone else here would too, I'm sure. It's a great feeling, a discovery has been made, and it can even seem like nobody's ever come up with anything like it before--and of course that's an illusion, since everything written has similarities to things that came before. But it's a great feeling, to be in that loop - And then I guess what we have to remind ourselves, is that as wonderful as our compositional discovery is, we don't want to wear out that passage's welcome in the final version.

Thanks for posting your music, Sururick. I always enjoy it.

Randy

Thanks again for the feedback, Randy! I have to agree, it is a sad thing to ruin a piece by over repetition of it. I uploaded the new version and posted it in the first post. It is now 2 minutes and 60 seconds as compared to the four and half minutes. I felt it was best to take out the solo viola part. The composition now has the beginning and two segments of the main theme of Save Tara and an ending sequence.

Go Back to forum