• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need critiquing on a new song

Need critiquing on a new song

Some of you may have noticed that this song was posted in another post I made shortly before this one. I removed it from the earlier post so I\'m not plugging everywhere on the forum. I think I\'m figuring out this compression thing now.

What I really need is some real good advice and critiquing on this song. I tried a lot of new things from way I used instruments to the mixing. I was inspired by Yoko Kanno to make, cause her music is just dead set sexy. I\'d appreciate anyone to point out the pros and cons, and what I need to do to possibly make it better. Anything from volume control, mixing, composition, etc. Thanks a lot, and your advice is most valuable! This is my first slow orchestral piece I\'ve seriously attempted.

Main instruments used:
    SAM Solo Horns
    DSX Superstrings (soundfont)
    SI Strings
    SI Orchestral Percussion (soundfont)

Link: http://www.bsu.edu/web/jlhudson/Jared%20Hudson%20-%20Dream.mp3

Jared Hudson

Re: Need critiquing on a new song

Not enough dynamics, seemed too squashed as a whole.
    You need to cut some bass off the piano bells part and put it louder. You also need to EQ the strings they take too much place

Clarinets at beginning and melody is burried by the string section, in fact everything seems burried by the string section, not enough seperation between parts, alot of parts in the same EQ spectrum region makes for a very muddy song.

Timpani seem muffled or too much top end cut from them.

In the middle part you have to many counterpoint stuff going on with like the string pad in background, makes it all seem muddy.

Those are the problems with it, however it\'s a nice mellow tune, keep on it you do great stuff and you\'ll get better stick with it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Vintaudio Prod.

Jared, I liked the strings in the beginning, very realistic, beautiful sound. But soon I felt uneasy with them. The strings were crowding everything. My suggestion would be to write a more simple arrangement for the strings which probably will keep them more realistic and less suffocating for your music.

Alex Cremers

I second Franky\'s opinion. I\'d say he covered it. I\'ll just add that backing down the strings will also help them be more dramatic during the swell.

Nice tune,

and yah kanno\'s work rocks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I feel liek you used a bit too much compression/limiting. It seems like you\'ve got alot of pumping \"hiss\" and the rich frequency response of the strings is swallowing everything up.

EDIT after re reading Franky\'s post my post should say

\"what he said\"

very nice composition, Keep ON.

Go Back to forum