• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Miroslav in today's market

Share/Bookmark

Miroslav in today\'s market

Besides the wonderful SAM stuff, only woodwinds/brass that I have is AO, so naturally I was looking for another library to layer with. Dan Dean is a bit out of my price range, so I was thinking Miroslav.

But Miroslav seems to still be full-priced! The whole Miroslav set costs as much as VSL, and both the solo instrument discs and the brass/woodwind ensemble libe are about 600$.

Anyone have any recommendations?

-Matt

Re: Miroslav in today\'s market

We were just having a discussion on a similar topic at the Tascam forum. Prosonus came up as a $299 possibility. I don\'t own it, so I can\'t give a first hand review - but the price is right!

Dan Dean is very good....why don\'t you buy it a bit at a time? Start with the flute and clarinet, then expand to oboe and basoon!

I think the individual instruments are only $120 or so. If you look around you might even find them for the coveted $99!

Prosonus is pretty good, with a couple glaring bad points.

The woodwinds don\'t have very many multisamples. The clarinet and low reeds sound particularly fractured. I don\'t much care for the tone on most of the brass. The tuning is abysmal, although the update from about a year or so ago fixes most of it.

There is some very nice natural ambience to the samples, some clever and usable programming, and the marcato strings have a very satisfying bite.

My only advice: forget about Vitous.

Miroslav is still outstanding. But with that obnoxious price, you can get something MUCH better. Vienna has the best woodwind samples I\'ve ever heard, but that\'s $900! What about Quantum Leap Brass?

Originally posted by greatzed:
    Miroslav is still outstanding. But with that obnoxious price, you can get something MUCH better. Vienna has the best woodwind samples I\'ve ever heard, but that\'s $900! What about Quantum Leap Brass?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I was just about to start a thread on this question. I\'ve been looking for a woodwinds library myself, and I\'ve read good things in this forum on Dan Dean\'s libraries. However, I haven\'t been able to find any online demos of the individual instruments themselves. I have heard the Vienna woodwind demos. I was wondering whether you or anyone else might give me an opinion on how they compare, with regard realism, quality of tone, articulations, etc.

Many Thanks,

SB

If you want VSL or Dan Dean to be a part of your \"live\" orchestra you will need to render or have alot of computers hooked up with each other. It\'s a pity Vitous is still being overpriced because the woodwinds are quite expressive and they almost use no resources.

------------
    Alex Cremers

\"If you want VSL or Dan Dean to be a part of your \"live\" orchestra you will need to render or have alot of computers hooked up with each other.\"

Now, why is this, exactly? Are they REALLY that much of a resorce hog? I just can\'t imagine 3 or more computers hooked up for ONE sample library... Although I\'ve never used them before...

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    If you want VSL or Dan Dean to be a part of your \"live\" orchestra you will need to render or have alot of computers hooked up with each other. It\'s a pity Vitous is still being overpriced because the woodwinds are quite expressive and they almost use no resources.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Are you a VSL owner? What\'s the source of your comments if you\'re not?

Because I\'m not finding that the case if you\'re careful in picking your instruments from the Cube. Several composers are getting 32 or more channels setup.

Miroslav is definitely overpriced, but the woodwind ensembles are still very useful. Except for Kirk Hunter\'s flutes, the only other library shipping right now with 2-3 unison woodwinds to a melodic line is Miroslav.

However, when it ships, QLSO will have the multiple woodwinds in unison:

http://www.truespec.com/store/samplelibraries/ewqlso/woodwinds.shtml

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast