• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Tip Of The Week: Adding free instruments to ARIA

Share/Bookmark

Tip Of The Week: Adding free instruments to ARIA

It's handy to have extra instruments available in your ARIA Player. Besides all the Garritan Libraries, and other SFZ instruments you may find online, you can also make use of SoundFonts which can still be found free all over the internet.

Using this program, you can easily convert those SoundFont sf2 files to SFZ files that you can import into ARIA:

sfZed download

That free program has many options, but you don't have to do anything more than simply open an sf2 file, leave everything as it is, and export it as an SFZ file.

That's all there is to it! You may want to take a look at the program's controls, and fine tune your results, but you don't have to.

Instant access to all sorts of instruments you may currently be missing and wish you could have sitting alongside your Garritan instruments.

Randy

Re: Tip Of The Week: Adding free instruments to ARIA

Amazing. I had no idea.

Well then good, Tom - Glad that's a helpful tip. That program's pretty cool, and very nice that it's free. You can poke around with adding "opcodes," the codes that control SFZ instrument behavior, and try them out for improving sf2 files you find. Like it says at that site, add the free SFZ player to it, if you don't already have it, and you can audition the results right there in sfZed.

Randy

Very handy program... I've got a ton of soundfonts I've collected over the years from which I'll want to pull an instrument from every now and then. Heck, I've even got some ancient 8-bit samples hiding somewhere *looks around with a paranoid eye*.

Nice thing about the sfz format though is it's a flat text file, so you can always edit it afterwards by hand if there's something you want to tweak, but sfzed is a great place to start.
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    It's handy to have extra instruments available in your ARIA Player. Besides all the Garritan Libraries, and other SFZ instruments you may find online, you can also make use of SoundFonts which can still be found free all over the internet.
    Whoa! I had no idea. I'll definitely be making use of this handy program, I have a couple of SFZs that I use with other players but I think they'll work better in Aria, the interface is nicer. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

[snip]

Randy
    Randy:

Thanks! You're a great resource for all us Garritan users.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

Banned

I've made extensive use of this facility while waiting for GCPO to come along (and will continue to use it while Plogue works out some of the rough spots in Garritan's fabulous offering). One advantage is that these sfz files are lightweight - I can build a considerable pipe organ with these samples without taxing the overhead of my current setup.

So I'm having trouble getting this to work. I found some sound fonts on http://soundfonts.homemusician.net/, and I imported the .sf2 file to sfZed, and from there the soundfont works fine. However, when I save it in .sfz format and import it to Aria, all I get is a bunch of crackling. I thought updating Aria might work, so I updated it to version 1.5 from finalemusic's website, but it is still not working. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by lekkin View Post
    So I'm having trouble getting this to work. I found some sound fonts on http://soundfonts.homemusician.net/, and I imported the .sf2 file to sfZed, and from there the soundfont works fine. However, when I save it in .sfz format and import it to Aria, all I get is a bunch of crackling. I thought updating Aria might work, so I updated it to version 1.5 from finalemusic's website, but it is still not working. Any advice?
    Hi, Lekkin - There has to be something simple to fix this for you, because it really is a straight forward process to make SFZ instruments from SF2 files.

For starters, let's make sure you're ending up with what you need to play a new SFZ instrument in ARIA:

--Once you've done the conversion, you need to have the SFZ text file and the samples in one folder. You could make a master folder "SFZ Instuments" and place that wherever it's logical and easy for you to access. Inside that master folder will be the folders for each instrument you've put together.

--In ARIA, you click on an empty instrument slot, click "Import," then direct the browser to where your SFZ instruments are. Open the folder for the instrument you want - You should see both the SFZ file and all the .wav files. Click the SFZ text file, and the instrument should instantly load and be ready for playing.

--Something new in ARIA is that when you've opened a 3rd party SFZ instrument, in the Info window in ARIA, there's the "Open in text editor" button. Clicking that opens the text file, and you can modify it however you want and save the results.

Is there anything I've listed so far that's different from what you've been doing?

Randy

Crackling is a symptom of too many things in audio and samplers. (could very well be digital clipping)
    I would need a copy of the resulting SFZ/wavs to know more.

Cheers
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Go Back to forum