• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Southern Sounds :-)

Southern Sounds :-)

Northern Sounds.... East West and everything in between. Cool place. I\'ve been hearing nothing but good things from my sound developer friends. So, by tomorrow afternoon you\'ll have a Sonic Reality forum in here too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That would be technically \"southern\" because we are making sounds down here in the southern tip of the US... Florida. It\'s hot and sunny down here. Samples grow very nicely though.

I\'ll make a proper introduction when the forum is up. I just wanted to say hello because we\'re excited about being here. Also, we have a lot of multi-format libraries (yes, including Giga support) to discuss.

For those of you who don\'t know Sonic Reality, we make sample libraries that are distributed by ILIO. We also have new multiformat \"UFO\" libraries through esoundz.com that use a special technology we created with your resident Chicken (Garth Hjelte, creator of Translator) that allows many format versions of certain SR titles to be installed on your computer such as Kontakt, Battery, HALion, EXS, Reason, Sampletank, Giga, Soundfont and potentially any popular software sampler format that comes out. So you get all of these format options at no extra cost which is nice and flexible for the user.

In addition to that we have Reason refills being released by M Audio this year and a nice selection of virtual instrument plug-ins based around Sampletank (such as Sonic Synth and expansion ROMS). If you want to know more about us then just go to these web sites:

There are even pictures of some of us on esoundz.com (I am the one with the wall of samplers behind me). I go by Squids on the forums (you can see me sometimes on cubase.net and we have a VST plug-in forum we host on K-v-R). But, that is just a nick (oh really?). In reality (npi), I am Dave Kerzner from Sonic Reality. I started the company and do a vast amount of sampling and programming around here. I like to make myself available to talk about samples in general or answer questions about our products. Other programmers who work with SR will try to make themselves available too whenver possible.

Hope to see you in our new forum on Nothern Sounds!

Re: Southern Sounds :-)

Let me be the first to welcome you and shake your virtual hand.

Alex Cremers

A big welcome to this forum. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This place is really unique with almost all developers talking direct to the users.

Wellcome Dave!

thank y.....

er...I mean

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Hi Dave, and welcome.

I\'d like to know more about the UFO. Specifically this: Suppose I purchase a library, and want the library to be installed to the hard drive in GigaStudio format. Does the UFO build a literal \"GIG\" file on the hard drive? Likewise, if one wants a Kontakt version, does it build the appropriate directory structure, then build the NKI file to point to that?

I guess what I am asking ultimately is this: Is the UFO in any way a tool which must be invoked in order to use the sample? If so, can a person freely edit/copy/paste waveforms into new instruments of his own construction?

There is a lot said about the UFO on your website, but these issues were a little fuzzy to me.

Welcome again!!

Orcas Island

A hearty welcome Dave!

You\'re going to like it here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan

Cool. My first juicy question and a good one at that. I think I am going to like this place. I like to hang around intelligent musicians who appreciate the same stuff I do.

To answer the first part... yes, essentially the UFO (Universal Format Outputter) application is like an installer program and translator all in one. It does use some of Garth\'s Translator technology in it (which we help him with as well in terms of checking format compatibility in general for his program) but the limitation is that it only works with Sonic Reality multi-format titles as the input (so, it is not a translation program for general purposes... for that you have Translator itself).

It differs from a universal translation tool though in a great way by this limitation of being tied to our titles. There are scripts inside the application that \"know what to do\" with each of our titles so they are installed onto your computer as if they were programmed natively in your chosen format. If anyone is interested I can explain how we do that and how it is different than just using a Translator-type program generically.

So, currently, the UFO supports Kontakt, EXS, Reason NNXT and HALion. Soon to be added are Sampletank, Giga, Battery, SF2.1 and others. The formats supported now are installed with separate program files (nki for Kontakt for example) and their associated wave files (you can also choose to install them as AIFF if you prefer). One cool thing too is that when you install it onto your hard drive it writes the \"path to the samples\" as you choose on the fly. This way you can move them to wherever you want and the samples are instantly found by the program file. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

When the UFO supports monolithic file formats such as Giga, Sampletank and SF it will export in those formats natively as well. You can always bug Garth himself if you are waiting for a specific format to be supported. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (Another reason why we want to be here... Garth is here and he\'s happy to answer UFO questions since it is a joint project we share together).

As to the second questions... well, in some ways you can play around with any of the data for your own use (obviously not to make other sound products with or other license agreement infringements). Since you have full access to the raw waves on products like Sonic Station (we even call it\'s samples a \"universal wave bank\") you could really go to town with them. I know some people who have done some really creative things with them inside Reaktor for instance. Likewise you have access to the separate NKI files so you could apply any program parameters you like from the say 1,400 patches in Sonic Station to your own samples.

As to what flexibility you\'ll have with monolithic files... that remains to be seen. Over time we might add some features to the UFO that even help facilitate some bulk editing or template programming... we\'ll see. In the meantime, the UFO is a great solution for the user who either has multiple software samplers or might change samplers over time and doesn\'t want to lose the use of the sounds they\'ve invested in.

Originally posted by Garritan:
    A hearty welcome Dave!

You\'re going to like it here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Gary. Can\'t wait to check out your full string collection (very impressive).

Yeah, I like it here already. Seems like all of my favorite sound developers are here too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum