• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Sandpipers Ghost (wind quintet)

Share/Bookmark

The Sandpipers Ghost (wind quintet)

I finished this about a week ago as a guitar piece. I transcribed it for piano and then decided to orchestrate it for a woodwind quintet. I used GPO flute, oboe, clarinet, french horn and bassoon. Please give it a listen and let me know what you think of it.
    Thanks. Jay

www.jesse.us.com/ghost.mp3

*---------------------------
    * 6/14/2012: I have udpated the piece by adding panning and dynamic suggestions made by forum members.
    * --------------------------

Re: The Sandpipers Ghost (wind quintet)

Hi, Jay - Nice! That's worked out really well for the wind quintet - Isn't that something the way it sometimes can work for a piece to have several incarnations, rather different from each other. Here you have a guitar piece, which was then a piano piece, and now this lovely woodwind piece. Magic.

There's a calm dignity to the gentle sadness of the piece. And the way in which the momentum keeps going forward without much hesitation, melancholy is at bay, over powered with the peaceful determination that momentum indicates.

I'd like to add a few technical observations - One is that the panning sounds too limited to me. The flute is a bit to the left, which is the default position of the GPO flute, and the rest seem pretty much just to the right of the flute, at center. That may be the default positions for those instruments too, I'm not sure. But since there are just the 5 instruments, having them more spread out in the field would work fine, with each instrument in a distinct location. Perhaps something like -Horn 70% L, Flute 35% L, Oboe 20 % R, Clarinet 40% R, Bassoon 70% R. Hmmm, maybe, would need experimenting. I'm just saying it sounds like they're pretty much scrunched together at center stage.

I mentioned the steady momentum - The tempo doesn't seem to vary much, but my impression was this was an important part of what the music is doing. So, the steady pulse seems fine - But the constant volume level from all of the instruments seems too steady, too unchanging. I kept wanting to hear a bigger dynamic range, maybe not with a lot of drama, but some sudden shifts to ppp, gentle swells, etc - I did feel that would be helpful.

Anyway, I've typed so long because I enjoyed listening, and it put me in the mood to talk.

Thanks, Jay.

Randy

I always enjoy it when your in a mood to talk. I did take the default panning positions on the instruments. I am going to revisit that and see if I can get a more sensible stage position for the players. I was mostly trying to slow the tempo down at breathing points at the end of phrases and generally trying to keep the tempo fairly steady. As far as the dynamics goes, I did not hear any other way to express it on this. I will be sending you a private message about this.
    Thanks as always for your thoughts.
    Jay

Hey Jay,

This was nice to listen to ... I'll bet it was equally lovely as a guitar piece and as the piano transcription. Like Randy said, it's so cool how a piece of music can take on such fresh incarnations and sound different and the same all at the same time.

I agree with the panning comment. The only thing I'll add is that I personally find I need to space virtual instruments even further apart than I would if I had a bunch of mono tracks of real musicians playing the same music. The electronic counterparts seem to benefit from the extra elbow room!

I enjoyed this Jay; someday I would love to hear the genesis guitar or piano transcription for comparison. Thanks for posting!

Take care,

Frank

Hey Frank! Thanks for listening. I have not gotten around to adjusting the panning yet but I intend to do so. Just for the heck of it, I am attaching the piano version of this in case you are interested in hearing it. I don't own the garritan steinway so I am using the electric piano. I find it to be an interesting sound translated guitar music.
    I am glad that you enjoyed this. Jay

www.jesse.us.com/ghost_piano.mp3

[QUOTE=jaynkate01;689165]I finished this about a week ago as a guitar piece. I transcribed it for piano and then decided to orchestrate it for a woodwind quintet. I used GPO flute, oboe, clarinet, french horn and bassoon. Please give it a listen and let me know what you think of it.
    Thanks. JayQUOTE]

The others who commented had some excellent suggestions. The exact position of the players in a wind quintet varies some from group to group. As a general rule (viewed from the audience) the horn player is in the center at the back and the flutist is in the front on the left. The others will vary from quintet to quintet but the bassoonist is rarely in front. Spreading the instruments will help show off your interesting inside parts and nice bassoon lines.

Norman

Norman! Thanks for listening. I applied your panning suggestions along with some dynamic improvements(hopefully).
    I think the instrument positions that you suggested make the piece sound a lot better. If you get a chance, give it another listen. Thanks for you input.
    Jay

I listened to it it again and I like it. Thanks for sharing your music.

Norman

Thanks for the advice Norman. I appreciate it.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hey Frank! Thanks for listening. I have not gotten around to adjusting the panning yet but I intend to do so. Just for the heck of it, I am attaching the piano version of this in case you are interested in hearing it. I don't own the garritan steinway so I am using the electric piano. I find it to be an interesting sound translated guitar music.
    I am glad that you enjoyed this. Jay

www.jesse.us.com/ghost_piano.mp3
    Hey again, Jay!

Thanks so much for posting the piano version ... I really liked this one. And not to disparage in any way the woodwind adaptation, I think I prefer (borderline!) the intimacy of the slightly funky Rhodes-ish version. So cool to hear different orchestrations of the same source material!

The fact this was adapted from a guitar piece (where semi-open voicings are the norm), I would have thought it perfect for the woodwind version ... and I liked that one a lot too. Can't put my finger on it exactly, but the piano flavor is just too cool. Nice composition at any rate (and quite mallable, right?!) ... would sound good in any setting.

BTW, the newly-panned woodwind one sounds much better; fuller.

Take care,

Frank

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast