• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: VSL Strings & SAMs

VSL Strings & SAMs

Hi all,

I just finished my work on two tracks in which I tried to finally accomplish good staccato strings and as realistic brass as possible. Both tracks are held in a movie score style but they are used for video games.

I used the VSL Strings (finally some good staccatos) and SAM Horns/Trombones. The choir in the first track is enhanced with live singers - mixed with VOTA.

Perhaps you have a few suggestions about how to improve the sound. At the moment we are really deeply into the \"make a sampler sound as realisitic as possible\"-thing and any hint is very welcome.

Re: VSL Strings & SAMs

I really cant offer any critisicms at all. Very, very impressive. The first track was good, solid production, etc. The second track (Castle Siege) blew me away!!

I really liked when the piece went all sad and moody around the 45 second mark.

Actually, after a few listens I can\'t decide which one I like the best.

Where\'s my sword? I have to ride off to battle... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\'Das Ich\' meets \'Carl Orff\'? - Gefällt mir!

Well you Impressed me! VSL here I come. I was thinking Lord of the ringsey the whole time =) I dont know if you take that as a complimant. Very solid compositions and sounded realistic to my ears.

Sounds good....

Only sugestion I would have is maybe try to shift the brass around on a timeline a little..
    It sounds to quantized in some parts...not in relation to the rest of orchestra but in relation to it self...try offseting whole tracks a bit so that the trombones, trumpets and horns are not so much dead on beat with each other....

Oh, I know you didn\'t ask for an opinion on composing, but man are you close to Elfman\'s Spiderman in that second cue or what..hehe.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Sounds great tough...

Congratulations, it does sound fantastic! One thing though, and maybe this is only a problem for Mac heads like me, but your links used front-slashes (\\) instead of back-slashes (/). I kept getting a bad message until I corrected the URL by hand.

One other thing, and this is really not directed at your work, but the Elfman glockenspiel/celesta signature is driving me nuts!!! And now I read that he did the Hulk soundtrack as well? Arrgghhhh, I think I\'m turning green... and it\'s not with envy!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Holy POOP I Downloaded your tracks to listen to later and it d/l at 3.36 meg per sec! What kind of server are you on? I like the other tracks on your site as well! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seth you probably had listened to the song before downloading it, I had 3.36mb/s too.

69 Lois Lane, Metropolis

The two links you provided don\'t seem to be working anymore, but I did listen to some of the other stuff on your site. Very well done, and this is coming from someone who is uber-critical. Great arrangements, great sense of timing and melody, very nice use of the sample libs at your disposal...couldn\'t have done better.
    Now for the critic in me...the production sounds really flat to me, almost like its over compressed, and like everything was squeezed into the middle for lack of a better description frequency wise. Listen to any of Thomas J\'s or Simons works, for example, and the difference is very apparent. Give it a listen on a pair of headphones, and you\'ll (hopefully) hear what I\'m talking about. I\'m guessing it was something you did during mixdown, so please undo it...it\'s sucking the life outta them. Again, really enjoyed the music, but the production is really taking away from that.

Thank for your suggestions. As for the two links - just try again - the tracks are still online (Perhaps you\'ll have to switch the \\ to / I typed them the wrong way around).

Your sound issues sound interesting though I have to say that the stuff we have on our site is some 5 months old and we have moved onward a bit in the meantime.

I hope the two links will work, as these represent our latest work - I would really enjoy your comments on the sound of these ones.

We often have the problem, that the developers want as few dynamics as possible as most tracks are background music for games. They don\'t like the idea of having huge scales of volume shifting, because they fear that the actual gamer could feel inclined to tweak on the volume in such a way, that he only hears the louder bits.

This problem is also the reason why the first of the two tracks you couldn\'t download lacks a little bit of dynamics - our customer gave us a pop song as reference and told us that he wanted it mastered that way. That meant as loud as possible and nearly falling out of the speakers (very close).

Is there a way to get the mastering loud without loosing too much dynamics?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast