• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Instant Orchestra VST problem...

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Instant Orchestra VST problem...

Hiya...

I'm a newbie to this forum so please be gentle with me.

I purchased Garritan Instant Orchestra 2 days ago and I want to use it as a VST plugin with Sonar 5 Producer Edition.

However, when I install GIO it works perfectly in it's "stand alone" clothes but Sonar fails to recognise the VST plugin!

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Re: Garritan Instant Orchestra VST problem...

fiddlingmick, I've using Sonar and Garritan Libraries for years, so should be able to help you.

After installing IO, did you run the plug-in manager scan so Sonar could pick up the new .dll file?

If so, when you want to insert IO in a project, do you understand that it's ARIA you need to look for. That's the sample playback engine for all Garritan Libraries. Load ARIA into Sonar, then start inserting the instruments you want in the ARIA interface.

Randy

Hi Randy...

Thank you very much for your prompt reply to my last post.

I have recently upgraded to Sonar X1 Producer and have managed to install Garritan Instant Orchestra as a VST Plugin.

When I record a midi track in Sonar the mod wheel in GIO resets itself to zero when I stop recording and I need to manually reset this so I can hear what I have just recorded. I'm sure there is a simple setting somewhere to change this but I'm not sure how to do it.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Lovin' X1 Producer!

Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlingmick View Post
    Hi Randy...

Thank you very much for your prompt reply to my last post.

I have recently upgraded to Sonar X1 Producer and have managed to install Garritan Instant Orchestra as a VST Plugin.

When I record a midi track in Sonar the mod wheel in GIO resets itself to zero when I stop recording and I need to manually reset this so I can hear what I have just recorded. I'm sure there is a simple setting somewhere to change this but I'm not sure how to do it.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Lovin' X1 Producer!

Hudson
    Hello, Hudson - Good to hear from you. And it's great you now have IO working in Sonar X1. It would work exactly the same way in Sonar 5 that you were still using when you wrote your earlier post.

You didn't say in this new post, but I'm assuming you now understand that the Plug-in Manager has to be run after installing a soft synth .dll, and then when you want to use IO in a project, what you actually insert in the project is ARIA.

Your new issue is very easy to fix. It's the #1 problem new Garritan users when they first start working with any of the Libraries in Sonar.

Go to Preferences - That's under Edit in the main menu, or use the keyboard short cut "P." Then, 4th category down is Project. Click MIDI. On the right hand side, the second option down is labeled "Other Options." UN-check the first item "Zero Controllers When Play Stops." Apply the change and close Preferences. The issue you mentioned will be gone.

And you need to understand why that works:

Most of the instruments in IO and all of the Garritan Libraries have their volume controlled by MIDI Controller 1. That's what the Mod Wheel generates. The Mod Wheel in the ARIA interface displays the CC1 data you have in a project. When you just push that control up, as you've been doing, you're not creating any data. That wheel is just for audition purposes, just like clicking the keys in ARIA's virtual keyboard is just there as a way to quickly audition a sound. When you want data in your project, either notes or MIDI controls, that needs to be recorded in your project.

That default setting in Sonar, "Zero Controllers" does exactly what it says - Every time you stop playback of a project, Sonar will re-set all MIDI controllers to zero. That's a disaster for Garritan users, because since CC1 controls the volume, when CC1 is re-set to Zero - there's no sound, as you discovered.

Now, with that problem solved, there's something more you need to do:

Recording a MIDI track with IO isn't simply a matter of recording notes. That's only the bare essentials. Coupled with the notes, you need to record how those notes are to be played back. I think you're using a MIDI keyboard, since you were successfully using IO in the stand-alone mode earlier. You need to record volume data by using your Mod Wheel. But it's better to think of it in less technical terms. Using the Mod Wheel, you need to Perform your music. Expressively play the IO instrument you've loaded with an almost constant fluctuation of volume. Sustained notes don't just stay at one volume - they swell, or vary over time from softer to louder. A whole passage may progressively get louder, or softer. Complex variation may occur from note-to-note--And so forth.

You don't have to record that volume data at the same time you record the notes. Many people find it easier to focus on one task at a time. Play the melody line, then go back over and perform it with the Mod Wheel. You can record as many layers of MIDI data as you want. Look on the Controls page for an IO instrument and you'll see all of the MIDI controls available for that particular instrument. Volume is just the basic, mandatory control to use. But there's After Touch for Vibrato, CC17 for Vibrato speed, Pitch Bend - the list goes on.

Once you have a complex MIDI track built up, when you stop a project, Sonar will no longer set your data to zero, but will set the track's controls to the last data in the track. If you stop at the end of a measure, you will probably have data no father back than one note. So when you start playback again, you'll still be at the state the track was in before you stopped.

Don't hesitate to return with any other questions that come up. I also invite you to visit the General Discussion thread. That's the most active Forum. These technical pages aren't visited very much anymore, and it's perfectly fine to ask questions in General - More people are likely to see your posts and reply.

Have fun with IO!

Randy

Hi Randy...

Thank you once again for your help with this. I was thinking along the lines of your reply but wasn't too sure how to go about it. Sonar X1 is quite different to Sonar 5 and I've only just started using it a couple of days ago.

Guess I've got a BIG learning curve in front of me with both Sonar X1 and GIO.

You have solved my problem though so thank you for all your help. I really am most grateful.

Regards,

Hudson (in Cornwall, UK).

Hi Randy...

Thank you once again for your help with this. I was thinking along the lines of your reply but wasn't too sure how to go about it. Sonar X1 is quite different to Sonar 5 and I've only just started using it a couple of days ago.

Guess I've got a BIG learning curve in front of me with both Sonar X1 and GIO.

You have solved my problem though so thank you for all your help. I really am most grateful.

Regards,

Hudson (in Cornwall, UK).
    Glad to help, Hudson.

And you're certainly right that X1 is very different from the previous Sonar series. It actually functions in basically the same way, but for reasons still not clear to users, the programmers moved everything around. Seasoned Sonar users have to find where the controls are all over again. Everything's there, just more hidden, in the interest of that less cluttered, austere and grey interface.

They've made us step back again to when programs used a lot of mouse clicking and menu diving.

You can probably see I'm not thrilled with X1. I have it, I keep it updated, but my DAW software is still Sonar 8.5 - to me, the last good software produced by Cakewalk.

Take your time and X1 will work out for you, I'm sure.

Randy

Hello again Randy...

One last question for you... When I used Sonar Producer 5 I was able to edit my audio files in Sony Soundforge from within Sonar.

How do I do this in X1?

Cheers,

Hudson

Hello again Randy...

One last question for you... When I used Sonar Producer 5 I was able to edit my audio files in Sony Soundforge from within Sonar.

How do I do this in X1?

Cheers,

Hudson
    Hi, Hudson - That really is a slick set up when you can open Forge up as you work in Sonar, make an edit or two on an audio file and instantly import the new version into the project. I depend on that all the time, selecting just a second or so of audio that needs tweaking, and fixing it up in Forge.

Do you know about Scott Garrigus? He is The Cakewalk/Sonar guru. He's written all the Power books about using Cakewalk software, and runs a very helpful site full of tips and info on home recording. Here's the link to his post which explains exactly how to set up Sound Forge so it can be accessed in X1. For starters, Forge has always been in the Tools menu, but now with X1 it's in the Utilities menu:

HOW TO SET UP SOUND FORGE TO USE IN X1

Randy

Randy I can't thank you enough. Your help has been invaluable.

Thank you very much my friend!

Hudson

...and for any cheapskates or broke souls like me reading this...Cakewalk's entry level Music Creator is effectively a stripped-down Sonar, and all the preceding directions work for it and need to be applied to it too.

Go Back to forum