• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Music Analysis Software

Share/Bookmark
    andyt

OT: Music Analysis Software

Okay very off-topic. You\'re not going to like this, but you might find it interesting never-the-less...

I recorded a short news article off the radio about software which the pop music industry has started to use. Basically it does some fancy mathematical analysis of a song to determine whether it is likely to be a hit or not .. on the basis of the results the record company may or may not release it !!

Here\'s a link to an MP3 of radio broadcast (900k). (I\'ve turned the quality right down to keep size down.)

http://www.geocities.com/polestarblue/Today2.mp3
    (save target as...)

And here\'s some gumpf from the company\'s web site.

\"Polyphonic\'s Hit Song Science (HSS) analyzes the underlying mathematical patterns in unreleased music and compares them to the patterns in recent hit songs. The new technology can isolate individual patterns in key aspects of the music that humans detect and that help determine whether or not they like a given song.\"

http://www.polyphonichmi.com/about_us.html

Re: OT: Music Analysis Software

Judging by the music these days, I thought that they were already using it to death.

Suppose this was the Seventies and Bohemian Rhapsody was put through the machine. The patterns would have predicted a non-hit for Queen. Conclusion? Burn the machine and save humanity!

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by andyt:
    Okay very off-topic. You\'re not going to like this, but you might find it interesting never-the-less...

I recorded a short news article off the radio about software which the pop music industry has started to use. Basically it does some fancy mathematical analysis of a song to determine whether it is likely to be a hit or not .. on the basis of the results the record company may or may not release it !!

Here\'s a link to an MP3 of radio broadcast (900k). (I\'ve turned the quality right down to keep size down.)

http://www.geocities.com/polestarblue/Today2.mp3
    (save target as...)

And here\'s some gumpf from the company\'s web site.

\"Polyphonic\'s Hit Song Science (HSS) analyzes the underlying mathematical patterns in unreleased music and compares them to the patterns in recent hit songs. The new technology can isolate individual patterns in key aspects of the music that humans detect and that help determine whether or not they like a given song.\"

http://www.polyphonichmi.com/about_us.html
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Soooo... if I hack HSS, I can be a Rock Star!!!! At last......

andyt

Agree with you all the way ! The article is very sceptical also.
    If you listen to radio article, they tested the software on Lennon\'s \"Imagine\" and guess what ...

Hi I\'m going to say something I thought I would never say.

I really hope, I do pray that this software is going to be hacked, cracked, copied billions times.

I really hope this company is going to die very very fast.

That would be one of the best day for MUSIC, ART and HUMANITY.

-----------
    Note that I can never imagine me thinking only 1 millisecond that those same things also happen for all the nice people here that develop marvelous things here.

God bless yo all.

Hell, Devil, pain, and tears for that company.

And for those who wonder : I don\'t crack, don\'t know how to do that, don\'t want to know how to do it, don\'t want to own or use something illegal.

I paid for everything I use. I\'m glad I did and will always do it.

Jeff.

Go Back to forum