• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Legend of Erthia OST - Call to Arms

Share/Bookmark

The Legend of Erthia OST - Call to Arms

This is another composition I created for LOE. This will be used in the scene where the king's men are preparing for a great decisive battle on a large scale. What I wanted to get out of this composition was a military and heroic kind of feel.

Re: The Legend of Erthia OST - Call to Arms

Hi, Richard "sururick" - As you described, I got the vibe of this being a preparation for battle - but I have to say, with one ingredient missing.

You said this part of the game is where, "...the king's men are preparing for a great decisive battle..." but there's no percussion! I don't think you can do without percussion in this, considering the scenario. Just a snare drum corp playing that same insistent DUM dadada Dum dum rhythm would complete the scene.

Maybe you were concerned about percussion being too cliche for a military scene?-- But there's a reason things become cliches --because they're originally based on truth. They just become used and heard so often, people start calling them "cliche"--but that doesn't mean those elements are false.

And this dramatically over-the-top world of fantasy games is all based on themes and stories we've all heard before, --in a sense, they're one big In Your Face cliche - so I say, don't shrink from the task - give the audience what it wants to hear! The trick is to make it sound fresh and exciting, even if it's familiar territory.

If not wanting to sound like music that's already been written would have stopped famous composers from writing, then 95% of classical music wouldn't have been written - we'd have almost nothing. Because all classical music from each period really sounds very much like the other music from the same period. - The writer just can't worry about not being entirely original - because he really can't be totally original. Or, if he is truly ground-breakingly original--he probably won't be listened to, because he will have gone way beyond the tolerance level of his audience.

Nice work, just under developed - add percussion and you'll have the track more fully as you described.

Randy

Thanks for the feedback Randy! I did implement a snare drum in it, but I guess it is very faint and I should maybe increase the volume level.

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Randy! I did implement a snare drum in it, but I guess it is very faint and I should maybe increase the volume level.
    Oh! Well, yes, I couldn't hear it.

I really went On last night when I wrote my reply - I'd been writing elsewhere about the concern of using musical cliches, and I was on a roll with the topic, so that spilled over into my reply to you. Thanks for indulging me in my rambling lecture. hehe.

A single snare could maybe add more to the martial feel of this cue, saving the larger drum section for battle scenes. Or, if you did use a group of snares, they could be controlled at lower velocities to be more subtle, like foreshadowing - a bit quiet, but still present enough to be heard.

You're using Instant Orchestra I think - In the Ensemble preset, under Combos and FX, you'll find "Lots of Snares." That's a patch I was really happy to see be included. It layers 5 insertions of "Snare and Rolls," spread out in the stereo field, and de-tuned so the combined sound doesn't have the phasing that would happen otherwise.

When you take a look at the Controls page in ARIA with that Ensemble loaded, you can look at what else was done to program that snare drum line. There are different amounts of Delay added, High Pass and Low Pass levels vary, and there are different EQs and amounts of Saturation. This really shows off the greater control of sound available previously not available in Garritan Libraries.

That Delay setting, starting the triggering of a sample at various delay levels, is something that helps enormously in IO - When you have the same or similar sounds layered on the same MIDI channel, you don't risk the overly-perfect timing that otherwise can happen when building up sound that way.

Anyway, you could try experimenting with that "Lots of Snares" patch.

Randy

Go Back to forum