• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Garritan Solo strings

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Solo strings

Gary, will your solo strings be out next week, next month, the month after next, or next year?

Hoping you can give some projected release date.

Thank you.

Re: Garritan Solo strings

Originally posted by Marty:
    Gary, will your solo strings be out next week, next month, the month after next, or next year?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Steve,

I wish I could give you a definitive date. We cannot know the release date because we don\'t know when GigaStudio 3.0 will be available.

In the meantime, a revolutionary violin with the expressive capability of physical modeling, but retaining the timbral characteristics of a Stradivari, is expected to go into preliminary testing on Giga and Kontakt within a few weeks

With what we are planning, we still don\'t think we can do it in Giga 2.5x. We need more dimensions and we developed the library based on some of the proposed features of Giga 3.0. So when Giga 3.0 comes (and hopefully copy-protection implemented) we expect to have a better idea of a release date. We\'ll hopefully know more soon and keep you posted.

Many other solo string instruments (including Del Jesu, Guarnerius, Amati and other great instruments) are expected to follow.

We will soon be making a major announcement for another exciting new library.

Gary Garritan

And some demos ? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

In the meantime, a revolutionary violin with the expressive capability of physical modeling, but retaining the timbrical characteristics of a Stradivari, is expected to go into preliminary testing on Giga and Kontakt within a few weeks [...] Many other solo string instruments (including Del Jesu, Guarnerius, Amati and other great instruments) are expected to follow [...] We will soon be making a major announcement for another exciting new library
    Gary Garritan [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">WH [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] A!

W [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] W

Can\'t wait!!!!!

Gary, do your experimenting with kontakt mean that it is possible that you release your solo strings on that platform, even if GS3 is not released? That would be nice!

\"del Jesu\"?! Did the Guarneri company split up?
    What happened to \"del Gesu\"? Must have moved from Cremona to Acapulco.....

Originally posted by Jeannot Welter:
    \"del Jesu\"?! Did the Guarneri company split up?
    What happened to \"del Gesu\"? Must have moved from Cremona to Acapulco.....
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Jeannot,

It is the Cremona model - Del Gesu Guarneri (also spelled del Jesu). In addition, we also sampled a Pietro Guarneri (Acapulco Pete\'s?). Guarneri was a famous family of violin makers from Cremona, Italy in the 17th and 18th centuries. The Guarneris, along with Stradivari and Amati perfected the art of violin making. While Stradivari and Amati remained in Cremona, the Guarneri family branched out into Mantua and Venice, but never did get as far as Acapulco. In the Guarneri family, Giuseppe del Gesu\'s violins are among the most prized in the world. Some of the great violinists prefer the \"del Jesu\" over a Stradivari (the Del Jesu sampled is worth several million dollars).

Gary Garritan

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

[quote]Originally posted by Garritan:
    Originally posted by Marty:
    [qb]So when Giga 3.0 comes (and hopefully copy-protection implemented) we expect to have a better idea of a release date. We\'ll hopefully know more soon and keep you posted.
    Gary Garritan
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have never been so disappointed to read a statement from anyone as I am with this.

Gary, your string library is the most shining example of what happens when sampleware is freely editable from every standpoint. If not for access to the waveforms, certainly Ashif would not have been inspired to tweak endlessly, and combine so many different elements to give your library new life after new life.

Cut off access to waveforms, cut off access to saving in and out of compression schemes, and you cut off functionality that power users of GigaStudio are waiting for and dreaming of. You turn the only truly open sample platform into the equivalent of a plug in.

I hope that Tascam does not reopen this Pandora\'s Box. If you want to protect your sampleware, fine. Do it some other way. Don\'t make it a part of the sampler, dooming a platform of ultimate flexibility to a jukebox. GigaStudio\'s potential is just awakening, and the 3.0 platform stands to redefine a lot of limits. I hope to god that Tascam will resist the temptation to cave in on copy protection, and will realize that developers will support a superior platform on its own merit.

Sorry. This isn\'t personal Gary. It\'s just that your library, to me, has always represented every reason that copy protection is a bad idea. None of the most interesting updates would exist had the waveform access been blocked, and the sad truth is that there is NO way to have it both ways. If you are going to copy protect sampleware, then you are going to necessarily block waveform editing access. And even if you don\'t block it--even if you try to \"slow it down\" as some have suggested by making this a \"one wave at a time\" process--you make the task of a major creative edit so laborious as to make it a no-win situation. A person just wouldn\'t have the time to mess with it if he can\'t batch it all and have every access to development tools as the initial developer.

I certainly know all the reasons a developer would be attracted to copy protection. But really, copy protection as a phrase doesn\'t describe the true result of the process. What REALLY happens when sampleware is copy protected is that there becomes a wall. Your approved \"developer\" gets the real sampler, which just works no matter what. The consumer no longer gets a sampler which just works. His gets selectively crippled. a sampler whose feature set becomes dependent upon what a given developer \"enables.\" It is no longer truly a sampler at that point. It becomes a sample player, with a variable degree of editing capability.

Sorry. This subject arouses the very core of my being as an artist. Sampling is just now making huge strides. It is far too early in the life of software sampling to start crassly commercializing the tools, to the point that they become little traffic cops for third party developers. Tascam should absolutely reject any attempt by any third party to suggest that it provide protection for sampleware. Let the sampleware developer knock himself out providing his own tools for that purpose. But do not put them in the sampler. That is the road to hell.

Bruce,

You make some good points and, for a good part, you are preaching to the choir.

GOS has definitely benefited by user mods. It was designed to be an evolving library and that could only be accomplished by giving users access to the samples. GOS will remain an open-ended library and I am committed to developing other open-ended libraries.

Not all libraries will share a similar goal and scope as GOS. There are some libraries where it would not be beneficial to provide access to the waveforms.

Copy-protection is an important \'option\' for the developer. There are some cases it would be advantageous, and others it would not. It\'s not just a simple issue of protecting intellectual property and copy-protection would be appropriate for other reasons.

In our solo strings project, we are working extensively in the frequency domain with samples. The samples must remain inviolate for our special processes to work. In this instance, we do not want tweaking or it will undermine the functionality of the library. Not only have we sampled extremely rare instruments, we have been working for several years on doing things that have never been done before with samples. For technical reasons, we would prefer to avoid sample vivisection in this case.

It really depends on the nature of the library and why limit Giga to only libraries that could be tweaked. Other software samplers, like Kontakt, are providing the option to copy-protect. Maybe the solution is for Giga to develop a copy-protected \"Player\" for certain libraries. I would like to be able to develop for the Giga platform - not only for the libraries I want to keep open-ended, but also for those I would wish to protect.

Gary Garritan

Yeah well dont forget who did set the standards for modern samplers. GS 3.0 will in my beliefe catch up and surpass the sample makers. I think its a wonderful time to be a composer these days.

Cheers

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast