• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL on ESX-24 mk II

Share/Bookmark

VSL on ESX-24 mk II

Anyone on this forum using the ESX-24 version of VSL? How does it work compared to the Gigastudio version?

Re: VSL on ESX-24 mk II

Hey J. -

The same. I\'m able to load the same amount of VSL into my Windows XP Giga and EXS machines (both with 1.5GB of RAM), although the XP machine has lots of RAM left over that Giga can\'t access.

You do get more polyphony on the EXS for now - I was able to get 180 stereo voices off one Firewire drive.

A couple of the Giga multi-Lay brass programs modwheel-crossfade more smoothly, but the transitions aren\'t smooth in the first place, so it\'s not a big deal.

Multi-machine Giga setups are certainly cheaper than buying lots of Macs, but then the new Macs will access 8GB of RAM later this year so you may not need to do that.

The Performance Set isn\'t out yet for EXS, so I don\'t know how that figures into the equation.

Thanks for the info Nick.

Since you can\'t buy VSL once and use it for both platforms, I\'m thinking on a G5 with 8 megs, freeze etc....

Still waiting for EWQLSO, to see where the dollars will ultimately be allocated, but VSL as a Mac option is an important factor in the decision.

A couple of the Giga multi-Lay brass programs modwheel-crossfade more smoothly, but the transitions aren\'t smooth in the first place, so it\'s not a big deal.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I should clarify: you\'d normally want to layer modwheel crescendos/decrescendos with one of the naturally played ones in the VSL. Obviously, brass instruments get buzzier as they get louder, so you can\'t just fade from one volume to another the way you can with strings.

Also, Freeze is great, but it only helps with VSL if you can sequence the entire track and remove the EXS to free up the RAM.

Also also, you do know that the G5s won\'t access 8MB until later this year, right?

nick somewhere on the esx side on the vsl forums there are some detailed threads on this.

Go Back to forum