• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample start by trigger AND Mod-wheel?

Share/Bookmark

Sample start by trigger AND Mod-wheel?

Hi,

I have just tried converting my new Halion bass to Kontakt and i wanted to select samples by Keyswitch ANF modwheel, so that the modwheel decide 4 different strings.

I thought I could do this by assigning the mod-wheel to control volume and then make 4 differnt settings.

It works - but the problem is that if the modwheel is at 0 and I play a note and hold it, then turn modwheel to 32 (to swicth from E to A string) the held note fades into the note from A-string!!

I know this is a great feature to use fro brass instruments, but isn\'t there a way to turn fade-function off and have a note off when switching from one position to another?

I guess what we need is the possibility to have BOTH sample start by trigger AND sample start by mod-wheel.

Is the update gonna fix that?

I can\'t release the Kontakt bass version before this...

Re: Sample start by trigger AND Mod-wheel?

cant you draw every CC\'s curve?

I dunno maybe I\'m not getting what you\'re trying, besides I\'m really ngreen with Kontakt [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I still haven\'t really gotten into its Keyswitching features.

Hi King Idiot,

Ok - in Halion I can do this:

Use 8 keyboard triggers to control articulations.

+

Mod-wheel:
    0-31 selects samples on E-String
    32-63 selects samples on A-String
    64-95 selects samples on D-String
    96-127 selects samples on G-String

Now, when trying to do this in Kontakt I have to \"cheat\" because you can only assign one kind of sample-start controller: it\'s either key-trigger OR Mod-wheel.

So I have tried to \"cheat\" by setting mod-wheel to control volume of the 4 strings, by drawing squares so that when mod-wheel is at 0-31 voulume is full up for E-string etc.

Now since there is no note-off send when you switch the mod-wheel the notes played before you switch position will be \"faded in\"

Ex: mod-wheel 0. play A2 on E-string - hold the key and switch modwheel to 64 (D-Strng) now the A2 note will morf into the A2 on D-string.
    This is how the fade should work - but I don\'t want that!!

I anly want new notes to sounds when I switch mod-wheel. (sample-start)

Unfortunately I can\'t use program-changes either as Kontakt don\'t have that feature...

It\'s really bad for me since I have many Kontakt users waiting for the bass.

regards

aha!

ok I get it now! Yah I think you\'re screwed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There might be some way to trick it into working as a multi instrument, but thats jsut too much prolly.

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] too complex for me!
    you can layer the srings and start experimenting with the mod wheel settings to see if you can get them to switch; I doubt it will work. You will always have crossfades.

I think you need another approach to this to make this work.
    I think you need to use the mod wheel as a switch in the source page \"on controller\'(not in the amp page). There you can dictate the exact range it should respond to: eg. cc1 = val 1-35 (group 1), cc1 = val 36-64 (group 2) and so on.
    Then another set of groups could use the traditional keyswitches for the articulations.
    This is just guessing I\'m afraid!

MP

Hello Michiel!

My problem is that I need both switch-keys AND modwheel to select which samples to play.

or

Strings could be selected by program-changes.

Alternatively you can have strings on different channels, but this is a bit un-cool since you have to set channel number for both notes, swich-keys and all kinds of controllers - like pitch bend. I have been there... and it is a lof of programming. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

As it is now Halion takes the lead in flexible programming. If I should do the same with Giga (as the structure is now) I would need 16(velocities) x 8 (keyswitch) x 2 (release samples) x 4(string select) = 1024 dimensions!!! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum