• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonar X1- is there a Drum map for GPO4?

Share/Bookmark

Sonar X1- is there a Drum map for GPO4?

Are there drum maps available for Sonar X1(Essential) for GPO4?

I came across links in an old post on the forums but they were no longer active.

Has anyone got any info/links?

Martin Lord

Re: Sonar X1- is there a Drum map for GPO4?

Yes, pages 120 to 122 of the GPO4 manual lay out which notes have what instrument allocated to them.

As well as there being a 'basic orchestral percussion" set, there are separate groups of cymbals, snares and percussion 'toys' (cowbells, shakers, etc.). There are also separate instruments such as the glockenspiel, timpani, marimba, vibraphone and so on. Each of these has its own key mapping.

Re-reading your post, though, I wonder whether you mean an instrument definition file (.ins)?

Any help?
    SXJohn.

Good info, John - and it's a start. Martin is actually asking about Drum Maps used in Sonar. When those are used, there's an otherwise hidden window in the PRV available that displays the names of instruments on the left so the user can see exactly where each part of a kit or percussion layout is located.

Martin, by referring to the pages John pointed out, you can construct your own Drum Map.

I will add that I've never bothered to put together maps for GPO. It's always seemed simple enough to load a bank, and with the ARIA interface open, I can see the range of notes, and playing my keyboard, I can quickly locate things.

Randy

Thanks Randy & John for your responses

I had started to - laborously(!)- define a map for GPO4/Basic Orchestral Percussion when I realised that I might be re-inventing the wheel. Hence the query.

As regards .ins files ,I don't see where they are referenced in X1. The files are there and are actually old ones from my previous installation (Sonar Home). I would expext to see references under edit/preferences but dont. Probably not much use anyway with GPO/IO.

Randy, may I take the opportunity to congratulate you on your video series 'Planet Mix'- introducing IO. I have watched them several times and expect to watch several times more. Great stuff!

Regards

Martin Lord

Quote Originally Posted by mlord View Post
    Thanks Randy & John for your responses

I had started to - laborously(!)- define a map for GPO4/Basic Orchestral Percussion when I realised that I might be re-inventing the wheel. Hence the query.

As regards .ins files ,I don't see where they are referenced in X1. The files are there and are actually old ones from my previous installation (Sonar Home). I would expext to see references under edit/preferences but dont. Probably not much use anyway with GPO/IO.

Randy, may I take the opportunity to congratulate you on your video series 'Planet Mix'- introducing IO. I have watched them several times and expect to watch several times more. Great stuff!

Regards

Martin Lord
    Nice, thank you very much, Martin. It's always good to hear from folks who've been enjoying the tute series. Those were great fun to put together.

"Laborious" is indeed the word for putting together a Drum Map from scratch. That's probably why I've only done it a handful of times over the years. But it's good to hear that you know how to do it. If you're inserting notes by hand, more like what's done in a notation program, then I can see the value of having a GPO map. Otherwise, it really is simple enough to get a handle on what's going on with percussion by using a keyboard and looking at ARIA's interface.

Do you mean the "ini" file? In X1 you access that through Preferences>File>Initialization File. I think you need to have the "advanced" option checked at the very bottom of the Preferences dialogue. BUT, once you open this, it's just a blank slate. The assumption is made that you know what you want to do - there's no guide. That's why I haven't fussed with that for years. It hasn't seemed of any consequence to me.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Do you mean the "ini" file? In X1 you access that through Preferences>File>Initialization File. I think you need to have the "advanced" option checked at the very bottom of the Preferences dialogue.
    Randy
    I was referring to *ins files ('instrument') - defining patch,note and bank names. Not really relevant to VST plugins.

I have actually just finished setting-up a drum-map for the GPO4 basic orchestral percussion. Very tedious as the Sonar drum-map manager is rather rudimentary.

The map can be exported and picked up in another project but it appears to direct midi to the first vst instance. I need to do a bit more exploring!

I was referring to *ins files ('instrument') - defining patch,note and bank names. Not really relevant to VST plugins.

I have actually just finished setting-up a drum-map for the GPO4 basic orchestral percussion. Very tedious as the Sonar drum-map manager is rather rudimentary.

The map can be exported and picked up in another project but it appears to direct midi to the first vst instance. I need to do a bit more exploring!
    OH yeah, ins - I haven't used those in years. You're right, not relevant for VSTs. I used them when I still did my MIDI work with external sound modules.

Using a drum map - You have your MIDI track in the project, and when you click on the track's Out, the last choices in the menu are for drum maps. You make your choice there - I don't think there's an automatic selection made for you.

So are you hand inserting percussion notes, and that's why it was helpful to make the maps? I've used Garritan Libraries almost exclusively for quite a few years now, and have never bothered with maps, as per my earlier posts. But I use a MIDI keyboard, so there's instant feedback on what I'm playing, since I can see what I'm doing by watching ARIA's virtual keyboard.

Randy

So are you hand inserting percussion notes, ..
    Randy
    I don't have a midi keyboard - I started out by using the notation program 'Personal Composer' and later I generously gave my Roland piano to a promising grandson.

At the moment I am experimenting with developing a program to enter continuous controller data via mouse mouvement
    and note data via a virtual keyboard.

Martin

I don't have a midi keyboard - I started out by using the notation program 'Personal Composer' and later I generously gave my Roland piano to a promising grandson.

At the moment I am experimenting with developing a program to enter continuous controller data via mouse mouvement
    and note data via a virtual keyboard.

Martin
    Hello again, Martin - Thanks for the post.

Right, I see - I figured the drum map was so important because you're inserting notes by hand. The work you've done on the maps will indeed be very helpful.

Entering CC data with mouse movement - That's basically what you can do in the Piano Roll View. You want to be able to add any controller with the mouse, correct? In case you're not sure of the process, here's a quick outline:

--Piano Roll View. Click the button so you have the Controller Pane displayed under the main notes window.

--Click the Plus sign on the default Velocity pane so another track is inserted.

--With that new pane selected, click the menu to choose a new value. Type in any controller number you want, and the new pane is now where the data for that controller can be inserted.

--While holding down Ctrl, you can freely sweep through, drawing data in perfectly smooth hills and valleys, as detailed as you want.

That's entering continuous data via mouse - are there more capabilities you want to add to that?

One more thought - Have you investigated Vimidi? It's a free MIDI controller interface which uses your mouse and computer keyboard. I haven't tried it, but looking at the info online makes it sound Very interesting:

VIMIDI- Virtual MIDI Controller

Randy

Entering CC data with mouse movement - That's basically what you can do in the Piano Roll View.
    Randy
    I had forgotten that controllers can be recorded via the piano roll view while playing the project.

I have only re-started again on music projects after several years absence - and time has not helped my memory!

I have had a quick look at VIMIDI - appears to be exactly what I have developed (prototype at the moment). I shall probably stop my development project and concentrate on the music.

Would my Drum-map would be of use to other GPO users?

regards

Martin Lord

Go Back to forum