• Register
  • Help

Topic: And now for something completely different...

Share/Bookmark

And now for something completely different...

...from my usual of late.

Quintet - piano, violin, viola, cello, bass.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9210690/Pia...ng_Quintet.mp3

Hope you enjoy this - it was something I wanted to write for a long time but kept putting it off.

I don't have a title yet either. Still mulling it over.

Not completely happy with the strings, but then I rarely am.

Garritan Basic Steinway.

Hope you enjoy.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: And now for something completely different...

Hello, Graham - I was ready to put the machine to sleep and call it a day, when I checked in the LR one more time - Surprise! There's this intriguingly titled new submission from you.

What a lovely piece - At the very least a good reminder to us that it's not only big, cinematic pieces at which you excel. The romantic minimalism of this could lend itself to something like the theme for a softer edged TV show perhaps - ah, there we are almost in the cinema arena again. Well, that's not such a bad place for writers to be!

But I don't bring that TV theme idea up as a way of restricting what this nice, compact piece does - it was just a thought that arose, idea association when I mentioned your recent cinema pieces.

"Was That You?"--- I have no idea why, but that title came to mind as I listened. It's a sweet piece of music, and with the piano driving it's cheerful sounding rhythm throughout, it doesn't come near "melanchoic" which this might have been otherwise. But there's perhaps a bit of a bitter sweet tone to it - And when that title occurred to me, I was thinking of someone catching a glimpse of someone from a distance, like on the other side of the street while walking, and the thought lingers - "was that who I thought it was? Heavens, haven't seen her in ages - But I'd like to." Something of the sort.

Allow me a slight complaint about the Steinway Basic you've used. I understand this version only has one perspective. I think it would work better in this recording if the stereo image were to be flipped. It's a player's perspective, very wide stereo, and that's all right, since you're not really trying to make this an "on stage" recording, but rather you're making a nice sounding recording which can break those kind of restraints - and yet, it still bothers me that the high register is to the right, lower to the left. Is that a fair complaint? I'm not sure - I guess I'm saying that I think I would have experimented with flipping the stereo, and maybe narrowing the width at least some.

Thanks for the pretty, light and pleasant piece. It's very effective.

P.S. --Since Frank brought up the length issue - I'm adding this edit to add that I actually also feel it's overly long...

EDIT: There was a technical problem making the music loop! So - the P.S. is not at all valid. (See my last post below).

Randy

I really enjoyed listening to this. I love the melody of the piano. I have to start making more faster compositions. A lot of mine tend to have slow tempo rates. Thanks for sharing Graham.

Hi Graham,

I enjoyed listening to your latest posting, this one in a very different setting than your big cinematic film cues. Nice, sweet, plaintive melody. I think your music, regardless of ensemble, always seems to paint a picture, a tribute to your writing style.

"Was That You?" ... I liked Randy's title; fits the mood!

Very Subjective Department:

1.- I thought the amount of reverb was a little deep considering the intimate nature of your piece (and ensemble); I think the delicate, chamber intimacy of the music is lessened.

2.- Unlike your underscoring and straight classical pieces, this piece seemed almost song-like to me (the piano repetitions, the relatively steady rhythms, dynamics, orchestration, little contrasting material, straightforward harmonic progression, etc.). And that's fine, no problem per se ... I love the song form and use it all the time. I just feel that this form can't sustain interest for as long a time as other forms and styles ... 12+ minutes I thought was stretching it a bit for this form (I welcomed the piano solo @ 7:30).

As I say, very subjective; a lovely piece nonetheless! I always enjoy hearing our members express themselves in different settings and this was nice. Thanks for posting it!

Regards,

Frank

Hey all thanks for listening. Some great points made here.

@ Randy - Glad you enjoyed it. I love your title suggestion, I really was in no-mans land with thinking of a title here. Yes, I guess when I said 'completely different' I don't really mean it :-)

The TV-esque theme comes naturally to the mind when you have this kind of repeated chord progression and steady piano. A small influence for this piece was the theme for a TV show called Downtown Abbey, which has a wonderful main theme (but is a lot more dramatic than my piece) - I didn't want to be dramatic this time.
    Here's a link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38wsS1zz77g

I'm purposely staying out of a more traditional classical element (which I was producing more of when I was just starting to produce recordings) as the music I'm writing is being put to use in and around that licensing area (I'm delighted to say). Of course, classical sounding pieces have their place there too - so I wouldn't rule it out at some point.

I like the stereo flip idea - such things don't occur to me, ever! Thanks for that one.

@ sururick
    Hey, glad you enjoyed this - I know the feeling, as when I'm on the piano and normally tend to have drawn out pieces with hesitant rubato chords and such. Exactly the kind of thing I wanted to counteract this time. Look forward to more music from you, such as the Erthia.

@ Frank
    Hi Frank, thanks for listening. The idea of shaving some reverb off is good one. I would imaging that having just produced some of the more big cinematic orchestra pieces, I haven't played with the reverb settings in a while as they have been preset. Here, I adjusted them, scaled them back, maybe I should have scaled them back some more.

The 2nd point confused me :-) Piece is only 2min 40 secs. Was it on loop?
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi Frank and Randy, I was confused enough about Franks comment on the length seeing as the piece is only 2mins 40secs long, so now even more so with Randy's edit about the length.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hey Graham! I like the simple quality of this piece. It reminds of of some other music that I also liked but for the life of me, I can't recall what it is or who composed it. I think that maybe the piano could be a little more understated so as to hear the strings a little more, and then come up when it does its thing. Anyway, I enjoyed this. There must have been something goofy earlier, with dropbox or something, because when I listened to it, the length of 2:40 seemed appropriate to me.
    Thanks for the post. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    ...must have been something goofy earlier, with dropbox or something...
    The only explanation! I'm relieved, Graham, to know you actually have this at a very reasonable length. Scenario:

--I clicked to play, then returned to a tab I already had opened, turned away from the computer to drink iced tea. I was enjoying the music. -- After awhile, I noticed that it was getting rather repetitious - I shrugged it off. But then many minutes later, I thought, "Well - it's nice, but this is too much!"

SO - I stopped the music simply by closing the tab!

------On a loop indeed! LOL! - Don't know how that happened - but apparently Frank and I had the same problem.

Anyway, even though I'm not positive why it looped, there's the scenario of me listening to it - will help clear up confusion over What the heck I was thinking!

Randy

I'm late ad discover this one...
    The title is too attractive for Pythoneer like me.
    I'll listen carefully to it. Hope is not a dead parrot. Or spam.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Hi again Graham,

Must be some Irish voodoo in your file! (Maybe all those great fantasy film cues you've created have finally taken over your rendering engine!)

Last night I just played your piece by clicking the link, which loaded 'Quintet' in WMP. When I thought it too long and had started my comments to you, I went back to WMP and the overall length was listed as 12:13! It never looped ... just kept playing the single long file.

Just now, curious, I did a save-as of your mp3 and same deal ... 12:13 in WMP. But as I was jumping around the file, the overall file length changed from 12:13 to 2:45!

None of this matters ... just glad it wasn't really a 12:13 song! LOL

Glad we were all on the same track afterall.

Regards,

Frank

Go Back to forum