• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: PIRACY

Share/Bookmark

PIRACY

We just received the shocking results of a study in close cooperation with the BSA (Business Software Alliance). We participated in this study to find an indication of the amount of pirated intellectual property of my companies PAM (Post Audio Media) and PMI (Post Musical Instruments).
    I have produced between 15 and 20 different libraries. They contain well over 500 different instrument files. We sold a nice amount of these products so far but the study clearly shows that there are between 5 and 10 times more illegal users than legal customers.

The study was performed by visiting companies that are expected to use our property (both legal and illegal), a stealth on-line disk scan on the participant’s computer and a questionnaire.
    The outcome is that only 1 out of every 10 people who have one of my instruments on their computer has actually paid for it. This is partly “polluted’ by the fact that the questionnaire and scans were performed on-line, so musicians that keep their music computer disconnected from the internet stayed out of sight. Even so, I find the outcome a disaster and far worse that I expected.
    The results for my industry were calculated by the IDC. Their conclusion is that if piracy is reduced by 10% the income for our company would grow at least 30%. In my country more than 40% of all used software is illegal. The percentage of illegal soundware is over 80%. The rest of Europe shows almost the same pattern.
    If I could find a way (I mean ANY way) to reduce piracy of my libraries with 10% I will certainly do so. I hope people will understand that given the current situation producing sound libraries without adequate systems against piracy should be considered suicidal behaviour from the sound library developer. I don’t mind disputing this stand point.

One good thing: we can now (within legal restrictions) actively search for illegal files on users systems. Illegal users can expect us to send an invoice for the fruits of their CD-writers spinning overtimes.

Michiel Post

Re: PIRACY

1 out of 10 have legal copys...???? If this is true, I might, just out of pure discuss, end all production of samples.
    If 90% uses stolen samples it\'s much worse than I though.
    Terrible!!!!!!!

And it makes me feel dum as a dodo for spending thousands of $ on legal samples... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Alex

Originally posted by lex:
    And it makes me feel dum as a dodo for spending thousands of $ on legal samples... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Alex
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You shouldn\'t feel dum just because you don\'t use pirated stuff. For the same reason that you shouldn\'t feel dum for not shoplifting, pick pockets or hold up gas stations.

Originally posted by Worra:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by lex:

Alex
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You shouldn\'t feel dum just because you don\'t use pirated stuff. For the same reason that you shouldn\'t feel dum for not shoplifting, pick pockets or hold up gas stations. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Very true, but if you enter the super-market does half of the people inside shoplift?? No...

Alex

[/qb][/QUOTE]Very true, but if you enter the super-market does half of the people inside shoplift?? No...

Alex [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes, and here it seems we are talking about 9 out of ten that\'s shoplifting.....

The numbers are unbelievable, totally unbelievable. I have probably $1000.00 worth of samples that I don\'t even use anymore, and I\'m such a stickler, I won\'t even sell them second-hand!

John G.
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

Originally posted by Worra:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Very true, but if you enter the super-market does half of the people inside shoplift?? No...

Alex [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes, and here it seems we are talking about 9 out of ten that\'s shoplifting..... [/QB][/QUOTE]

Well I would love to see a super market where 5 out of 10 people inside are shoplifting, ewen better to meet the retarded menager...

My point is...if there is 1 person out of 10 of us in a store that is shoplifting, I would consider it normal, go on with my bussines and payed for my food.

Obviously this is not the case here...

I\'m not saying I\'m going to start using pirate samples, I\'m just saying that after reading this I felt seriously retarded for saving up to get VSL performance set..

ALex

It turns out we (musicians and developers) live in a world where at least 5 out of 6 people are like terrorists; they just do what their insane minds tells them to do.
    In the case of pirates I want to add that they don\'t just steal from us developers; they also steal from our legal customers. Our prices are based on a certain number of buyers. Our service and amount of work is based on this. Our possibilities to create new work is based on this. When it turns out that only a minority of the \"users\" pay, we could have had a totally different situation where I could have created more libraries, where I could have had lower prices for my products and better customer support.

I strongly believe that the vast majority of members who post in THIS forum here ARE legal users. This makes me love this forum even more.
    But where are the others? The member who post are only about 10% of the visitors. Does that ring a bell?

It\'s really getting time to act! If we don\'t undertake action now, we\'ll all be out of luck in a year from here. At least I\'ll be out of business.

How come there is a large scale operation against terrorists going on, (costing 220.000.000.000 $) while piracy is totally disregarded?

BTW, several minutes after I posted this message my firewall received 20 incoming attacks. Any hackers lurking this forum?
    We\'ll forward all the ip-adresses to the FBI today.
    [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

If people steal something in a shop, everyone looks at them as thiefs. When people copy CD\'s and computer software, than people don\'t really see it as thievery, although it\'s equaly bad as stealing in a shop and other kinds of robbery. E.g. copying a CD of $200 is as bad as stealing a watch of $200 from a store.
    All of my sample Libraries are original.

Isn\'t there a way to copy-protect sample libraries?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast