• Register
  • Help

Topic: A sneek into the workshop....

Share/Bookmark

A sneek into the workshop....

I\'ve been tossing around the idea of making some electroacoustic pianos (Rhodes, Wurlis, Hohner D6 etc.) using a miked amp as a source rather then lining the keyboards.
    Yes, it hisses and hums more, but there are good noicereduction algoritms these days.

Currently I\'m working on a Rhodes (a mid 70\'s mark I) where I used a Fender Twin on rather high volume and just miked the thing.
    Look upont this as first rough schetches, There\'s 8 velocities and no releasesamples (yet).
    Anyway, I just wanted to hear what the forum feels about the idea and concept.
    There are at least two splended Rhodes right now. One\'s Scarbee\'s and the it\'s our own that\'s been around a while, but I still think sounds great (if you then consider the $59 pricetag you can\'t really go wrong....) but you know me, I wanted to try something different, and then the idea about miked tube amps came about.

Soooo, here\'s a first sneek at what I\'m talking about.
    NOTE: The piano isn\'t tuned yet, so please don\'t comment on that, but any other pro\'s and con\'s are very much welcome!
    Tubed Keys - Rhodes (a bit of reverb added)

Re: A sneek into the workshop....

That sounds perfect worra!!Just add that extra bit of realism.Great work...Rich Pell

Thanks Rich! Any more comments...???

You could use vintage microphones, tubeamps and record to tape before you transfer it to your computer dirt is cool!!!

/Tobias

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hey Worra,

The release envelopes give it away...they are too long.

I would emulate Scarbee\'s 12-release-sample mapping. It is sublime. A Rhodes is nothing without the releases--that\'s the magic. Without them, you can\'t get the horn-like articulations.

I like the amp idea. Good luck.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Hey Worra,

The release envelopes give it away...they are too long.

I would emulate Scarbee\'s 12-release-sample mapping. It is sublime. A Rhodes is nothing without the releases--that\'s the magic. Without them, you can\'t get the horn-like articulations.

I like the amp idea. Good luck.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">On this very early beta I haven\'t begun working on the releasesamples yet, so they are to be included. I have some ideas on how to design the release samples that I\'ve been thinking about. Don\'t know if it will work out, but in any case, releasesamples will be included in next beta.

For me it\'s the attacks that sound funky - and sorry, I don\'t mean that in a good way...

There\'s a kind of computer-y uniform \"clickiness\" to the notes that makes it feel as if there\'s no dynamics to the sound. Although it\'s very possible that\'s just the fuzzy junk that mp3 conversion adds to percussive attacks.

I\'ve heard your other libraries and think they\'re pretty darn good, so I have no doubt you\'ll eventually whip this into fine shape. The question, at least from me, is \"why bother\"? Seriously, the Scarbee Rhodes is so freakin\' wonderful, are you sure this is what people want? Maybe some folks, but not me.

Sorry to be a downer -- just my two cents, with grains of salt included absolutely free.

Here\'s my useless suggestion for a much-needed library: \"Drums of the 70\'s\" - And no loops. Just big honking sounds reflecting the era of the fat snare, the flappy kick drum, the funky ringing toms, roto-toms, double-kick drums, etc. I\'d kill for a library like that and if nobody\'s gonna do it, then maybe I\'ll have to do it myself.

RnB brass combos would be good too...

cheers and please feel free to disregard everything I say. My wife certainly does. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

PS. If you insist on a new Rhodes library, make it as funky as heck. Lots of real distortion, oddball pedal effects, and strange noises that can\'t be found in the other \"purist\" libraries.

cheers

Go Back to forum