• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Building Library Seeking Advice

Building Library Seeking Advice

Hello All,
    I have been reading these pages for a while and have found some wonderful information. I have decided to invest in Giga and will be purchasing samples in the near future. I cannot help but think buying the Garritan Strings and Giga 160 bundle is a great start. I definitely will be buying VOTA and Symphony of Voices as I work a lot with choir. What I need is advice on filling out the rest of the orchestra. I prefer warmer sounds to loud. I don\'t really need anything exotic. I would just like something I could purchase in a bundle. I would love to hear your recommendations. I would prefer to keep the price down if possible but am aware that it may not be possible. Thank you all for your time!

Re: Building Library Seeking Advice

THe GOS/Giga bundle is a great buy. (I bought it myself!) If you want to keep thiings cheap look at;

Sam Horns
    Sam Bones
    Sam free Trumpets and Timpani

All the G-Town samples (free also)

Perhaps Dan Dean Solo Woodwinds.

This covers all your bases.

You can buy it all bit by bit like that or just go the whole hog and buy EWQLSO when it comes out. Keep in mind though, you will need more than a couple of powerful computers to run it all.

You could also consider an older library like AO or Miroslav. Admittedly though, my copy of AO is getting less and less use these days. It does have a lot of nifty trills/runs/glisses, etc though.

Hope this helps, Scott.

Dont forget Prosonus Orchestral from Big Fish Audio, and if you can find the Roland orch disks get em too. People still rave about those Roland Orchestral sounds,

For the sound quality you mentioned, I\'d highly recommend Bigga Giggas Orchestral Brass. www.biggagiggas.com

1st and 2nd instruments for French Horn, Trumpet, Trombone and Tuba.

I really like the sound quality and the price makes them even more attractive. You can buy each separately or all four together.

Don\'t forget Kirk Hunter\'s stuff!! He recently released a flute library (solo + ensemble) and it\'s great.

Not to mention his solo strings are getting some attention as well.

Thank you all so much! I appreciate the information. I\'ve been checking out everyone\'s demos. Scott, do you think I will need more than 2 computers to run the non-EWQLSO setup you mentioned? I am still open to suggestions. Thanks again!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Assuming that your main machine has the hard drives set up properly and you have plenty of ram you can do a surprising amount on just one machine. Depending on the complexity of your piece, you are more likely to run out of note polyphony. This is speaking more for orchestral music. If you do any form of dance/pop modern stuff with lots of FX and filter sweeps, etc, the CPU will probably choke first.

I run a PIII with 448mb ram as a second DAW and it will load up a surprising amount of samples. These days it is getting cheaper and cheaper to run 2 or more DAW\'s, with products like FX Teleport coming to market you dont neccesarily need a sound card in the subsequent DAW\'s either.

I forgot to mention earlier, perhaps consider buying Kontakt as well. It comes with a pretty decent (non-orchestral) library when you buy it and more and more libraries are being ported across to Kontakt format. This includes GOS and Sam. Since Kontakt runs as a VST, you can make use of programs like FX Teleport mentioned above and the new Freeze program coming out. You would also be able to convert SOV thats in AKAI format anyway, over to Kontakt.

Hope this helps. Please ask if any of the above doesnt make sense. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Also, keep searching through the forums here as there are lots of gems.

the more samples you load, the more your RDRAM or RAM get\'s consumed. A few computers with the right sound card interfaces (GSIF) will keep you loaded up at all times. This is the catch 22 with GS 160.

Alan Russell

Kirk Hunter\'s Solo Strings are nothing short of just plain remarkable. Period. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And Kirk\'s service to his customers is the best I\'ve experienced to date - I\'ll have no problem sending him more of my hard-earned cash (if he stays in the sample business... that last piece he posted was superb, and with stuff like that, he\'ll be getting a lot more gigs pretty quickly. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

BTW, I had no trouble porting _all_ of his patches to Halion - just took a slight bit of Megatrigg work. Easiest port of a large, complex sample set I\'ve had so far.

Hi drdrt,

If you are coming from hardware samplers/sound modules/keyboard sounds like I did, you might be surprised how difficult (and expensive) it will be to acquire that broad range of \"workhorse\" sounds in new software samples. If you have something like a Roland 1080 or Akai, or a keyboard with decent sounds, consider designing your new configuration/setup and new sample buys assuming you\'ll use some of those older sounds, which are still relevant in today\'s productions. I didn\'t realize that when I first upgraded my studio to GS and other soft synths.

You guys are the best! I\'m running a 3 hard drive setup with 1.8Ghz Pentium 4 and 1 Gig of ram. Would doing a piece with strings, voice, horns, and woodwinds blow out the system? I\'m mostly working on neo-romantic/neo-classic stuff. Definitely not anything too funky [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . What do you guys think about classical percussion? Thanks for all the advice- Now I have to research Garritan vs. Hunter strings!

Go Back to forum