• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A drum-map for GPO4 Basic Orchestral Percussion & Sonar

Share/Bookmark

A drum-map for GPO4 Basic Orchestral Percussion & Sonar

I have just created a drum-map for GPO4 Basic Orchestral Percussion.

https://www.box.com/s/b187f17107a2fc858455

I use SonarX1-Essential so I have only tested it on that version and on Windows7.

Drum maps reside in ..users/<user-name>/AppData/Roaming/Cakewalk/SonarX1 Essential/DRUM MAPS

To use it ,click the output field on a track,select 'New Drum Map' and scroll through the list to 'GPO4-Orchestral Percussion'

The output channel is set to channel 1 in the map and the VST to '3 Aria ...' but it appears that the output is sent to the first VST anyway.

Because of my inate laziness,some names are shortened versions of those in the GPO4 manual. There is one addition to that list -'bass drum0' - D0#. This is a variant of the 'bass drum' at C1 (see the corresponding sfz file).

If errors are found please report them to this thread.

If anyone has the energy to make the names 100% compatible with the manual , a copy of a revised map would be appreciated!

Martin Lord

Re: A drum-map for GPO4 Basic Orchestral Percussion & Sonar

Quote Originally Posted by mlord View Post
    I have just created a drum-map for GPO4 Basic Orchestral Percussion...
    Excellent, Martin! Thank you so much for posting this. I know in the technical support Forum you reported finding the dead links to previous, out-moded drum maps. You've done a great service, putting a current one together for GPO users in need of a drum map.

I have X1, but still rely on Sonar 8.5 for my work, so I'll be trying out what you have later today. As far as I know, the maps still work the same way in X1, so I'm predicting that it will be compatible. I'll report what I find on this thread later.

Maybe it will be more clear when I try out the map, but right now I don't understand this part of your post, "...The output channel is set to channel 1 in the map and the VST to '3 Aria ...' but it appears that the output is sent to the first VST anyway..." But it's been awhile since I've used any map, so I'm a bit rusty.

Thanks - I'll be back to let you know if it works in 8.5 also.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-;689899
    Maybe it will be more clear when I try out the map, but right now I don't understand this part of your post, [I
    "...The output channel is set to channel 1 in the map and the VST to '3 Aria ...' but it appears that the output is sent to the first VST anyway..." [/I] But it's been awhile since I've used any map, so I'm a bit rusty.
    Randy,I have just realised that it would be better to avoid channnel 1 - having just re-read your 'tip of the day' re Aria ambience being directed to Aria slot 1. I have therefore changed it to channel 10, the traditional midi percussion channel.

I have also set the ouput instance to '1 Aria..'

Will upload shortly.

Martin

Revision now available

Uses channel 10 and instance 1 of Aria Multiplayer VST

Martin lord

Revision now available

Uses channel 10 and instance 1 of Aria Multiplayer VST

Martin lord
    Hello again, Martin

OK - That was an easy test to run. Basically, this works fine in Sonar 8.5. Drum maps haven't changed since forever, because it's really a pretty straight-forward proposition that I don't think needs re-doing. You're simply mapping where you want your keystrokes/notes to be directed.

Now - feedback:

You're confusing MIDI channel and Audio channel. In ARIA, the default settings are for slots 1 through 16 to be set up to MIDI Channels 1 through 16, but they don't have to stay that way. The Audio defaults are with all slots going to stereo pair 1, labeled "1/2" and usually you Do want to change those. To avoid confusion, I usually have my set so I use all 16 stereo outs, each with the same numbering as the slots.

In my Tip Of The Week you're referring to, what I was pointing out is that if you use ARIA's reverb, the processed signal from all slots will be pumped out of that first stereo pair. But that has nothing to do with what MIDI Channels the instruments are on, but only to which Audio out they've been assigned.

MIDI Channels and Audio outs can be set up any way you want. You might have several instruments all on one MIDI Channel, but each coming out of their own Audio channel, for instance.

SO - it doesn't matter what the MIDI Channel of the percussion is - You've changed the map for the percussion to be on MIDI Channel 10, and that's fine, since it's the convention for all drums/percussion to be on Channel 10 - but that doesn't change what Audio out the instruments are using. For instance, in my test, I set the Basic Orchestra Percussion to MIDI Channel 10, since that's what your map is set at, but I have the sound coming out of "3/4"--the second Audio stereo pair from Aria. That's all that matters for avoiding having the sound come out of that channel that ARIA uses for reverb. See? Having your GPO map set to MIDI Channel 10 doesn't avoid the problem of using Audio out 1/2.

More importantly - the maps, yours, and all the pre-sets in Sonar, have my sound card set as the default OutPort. That's the first device listed in Sonar - and that makes sense, my interface is an Audio/MIDI interface, that's where all my sound comes out, and it's my default MIDI device.

Your attempt to set the OutPort to ARIA didn't work, because Sonar simply sets the OutPort on all of these maps to the first available device. I checked - all of them are like that. So to use your drum map, I just need to go through and change the OutPort of each instrument to ARIA. Unfortunately you can't change them all at once, you have to do them one at a time. Tedious, but no big deal. Once I've changed all those settings, I can save the edited version by over-writing the existing version. Now when I set a project up, the GPO map will be set to ARIA and I'm set to go.

Hope that helps. AND thanks again for doing this!

Randy

Hello Randy,

Thanks for the clarification re Aria slots/channels etc.

regards,

Martin Lord

Thank you, Martin, for compiling this and sharing it with all of us.

I hope to experiment with using your map soon.

Regards,

Frank

I have fixed a number of errors and re-uploaded

Martin Lord

I have fixed a number of errors and re-uploaded

Martin Lord
    Hi, Martin - I've now had the chance to download and install the new version of your GPO drum map. Like the first version, it works fine once the map's Out Ports have been changed to ARIA and the edit is saved as a re-write.

Clarification to others who may be following this thread: The Sonar Drum Maps need to be directed to the specific device(s) you want to use. By default, the Out Port in a map is to the first MIDI device listed in Sonar. If you use an Audio/MIDI external interface, that is your #1 Out Port. But to make this GPO map work, you need to open the Drum Map Manager through output menu on your percussion MIDI track, and then change each instrument's Out Port to ARIA.

This map has the Basic Orchestral Percussion set to MIDI Channel 10. So be sure to change the MIDI channel accordingly in ARIA. Direct the audio to whichever of the 16 available audio outs you want.

Besides giving the user a visual display of all the instrument names in the Piano Roll View, Drum Maps can also be used to direct your MIDI data to multiple sound sources. For instance, you can put together the "ultimate drum kit" from as many different VST drums as you have or want. Kick can be directed to one drum set, snare to another, toms to another - etc.

Martin--Some feedback!

---Your map is upside down!--At least it's the opposite of all the Drum Maps that come with Sonar, and any I've seen. You have the lowest notes at the top, highest at the bottom. Once the user orients himself to that, it's fine, but it is the opposite of all other maps. The basic PRV for pitched instruments displays notes starting with the lowest notes at the bottom, and that's intuitive - and so traditional Drum Maps go in the same direction. I'm sure you for some reason preferred reversing the direction of notes, - I'm just pointing out that it takes getting used to.

--You've misspelled Cymbal several times. Sometimes you spell it "Symbol," other times you spell it "Symbal" and then sometimes correctly, "Cymbal."

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Martin--Some feedback!

---Your map is upside down!--At least it's the opposite of all the Drum Maps that come with Sonar, and any I've seen. You have the lowest notes at the top, highest at the bottom. Once the user orients himself to that, it's fine, but it is the opposite of all other maps. The basic PRV for pitched instruments displays notes starting with the lowest notes at the bottom, and that's intuitive - and so traditional Drum Maps go in the same direction. I'm sure you for some reason preferred reversing the direction of notes, - I'm just pointing out that it takes getting used to.

--You've misspelled Cymbal several times. Sometimes you spell it "Symbol," other times you spell it "Symbal" and then sometimes correctly, "Cymbal."

Randy
    Spelling - never was my strong point! but I seem to have excelled myself this time.

Order - the names were entered in the same order as in the GPO manual.

I will have a go at fixing these points.

As regards the port-name the Drum map manager gives a drop down choice from the VST devices in use. You suggest(?) users should change port-name to ARIA (in the map) - does that work with the Sonar assigned names? Or are most users changing the ARIA instance names?

Martin Lord

Go Back to forum