• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need middle step before EWQLSO

Share/Bookmark

Need middle step before EWQLSO

Hi guys, I\'ve come to the conclusion that I need to buy a middle step before I buy EWQLSO. (That\'s if I don\'t win in the free giveaway game! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Ok, here\'s the thing: I\'m buying a new computer which will contain about 2Ghz Intel p4 I think, and 1GB of DDRAM. Therefore I can\'t go straight away to VSL or EWQLSO. - I currently have BOB and VOTA, so I need strings and woodwinds to complete an orchestra. Then I can make some good demos and get some gigs to buy the big libs. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

For the strings (sections), I was wondering if I should go with GOS Lite or SI Lite. I need strings which covers both soft and powerful sections.

For the woodwinds, I was wondering about DDSW or if I should buy something less pricey if I can find it. Is there any good woodwind lib out there which costs less than $300?

I don\'t want to spend more than $700-$800 max on this middle step!

Btw. it would be good if I could use those libs together with VSL or EWQLSO when I get that.

Re: Need middle step before EWQLSO

Dan Dean Solo Woodwinds for $387.95

Sonic Implants Mini for $399

And remember, there\'s no tax on those. I\'m in your same situation and this is what I\'m getting, so maybe you\'ll think its a good deal too. I already bought the SI Strings.

I see that there are lite version of DDSWW available, anyone own it and/or tried it?

I honestly think you should also pick up the 2 LCDX Roland Orchestral cds and convert them.

Ed

Guys, I noticed that on the NI forum here on NS that Kompakt is bundled with some samples from EastWeast and more.

Could anyone tell me if that would be good move to buy Kompakt to get a temporary orchestra going? Are the samples good?

Also, I own some Giga libs - Can I run Giga and Kompakt together?

Btw. I plan to use the temp. orchestra as a way to get gigs so I can buy the BIG! libs. So the samples may not be of low-quality.

As a middle step, DON\'T cheap out on the strings. They are the HEART of all you do. Stretch to get GOS. I say this because if you\'re on a budget, GOS has lots of free updates, and it\'s constantly expanded from Day One. So as an investment it keeps renewing itself. For full string ensemble work it\'s very strong.

For SISS, it too has a beautiful, sound, but it\'s a little more money, less support, and the sound is smaller, more intimate.

Ideally, you\'d get both, because each has its own unique sound.

However, another reason (if you can only have one string library) that I favor GOS is because SAM Horns, SAM Bones, SAM trumpet (free download) blend well with it. For the solo woodwinds, look at Dan Dean.

Here\'s the bottom line - whether SISS or GOS, get the full set so that you have a full string session, then build around that.

peter, thanks for your advice! Is it wise to get Dan Dean woodwinds Lite version? I figure that if I have the full string body, the woodwinds blend more in so maybe it\'s ok to save on that section because like I said I\'m on (extreme) budget.

However, the budget also depends on how much I need to pay for the new computer. Of course I have a quite good idea of how much I need to spend on that part, however maybe I can find lower prices online. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You don\'t sell computers for people on low budget? Those Gigakillers are too expensive for my budget.

Originally posted by falcon1:
    peter, thanks for your advice! Is it wise to get Dan Dean woodwinds Lite version? I figure that if I have the full string body, the woodwinds blend more in so maybe it\'s ok to save on that section because like I said I\'m on (extreme) budget.

However, the budget also depends on how much I need to pay for the new computer. Of course I have a quite good idea of how much I need to spend on that part, however maybe I can find lower prices online. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You don\'t sell computers for people on low budget? Those Gigakillers are too expensive for my budget.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">1. I haven\'t heard the Lite versions of DDSW&B so I can\'t say, but I\'m sure they\'re quite good, knowing Dan.

I haven\'t heard them, but you should also check out QL Brass done by Nick Phoenix. THey have an excellent reputation.

2. The parts list we use doesn\'t permit us to create a cheap Giga workstation. Also, we\'re not \"box\" movers. Our approach is more IBM-like with sales and service and training. When we\'re selling to professionals, to schools and to studios, we have to know that the parts we use won\'t cause pops, clicks and other conflicts.

Besides, shipping to iceland...! Shades of Lief Erikson!

Peter,

thanks for replying.

re: 1 - I have the brass covered by BOB, so I just need the woodwinds. I\'ve only read good things about Dan Deans woodwinds, however I can\'t find a thread about the lite version anywhere.
    Also is there any other complete woodwind package which I should check out before I decide going for Dan Dean or not?

re: 2 - Ok, I understand.

Go Back to forum