The second movement to my String Trio is now available at

http://youtu.be/9USXradm4js

Comments are welcome.

Best regards to everyone.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: String Trio No.1 - 2nd Movement "In Memoriam Poa Sörlin"

I enjoyed the way this has several moods, more complex than someone could anticipate before listening, and knowing it's been composed in memoriam of a dear friend. I appreciate that achievement in this, Fabio. When it was over, I realized I missed hearing any sustained, more slowly gently sweeping passages that could have added yet even more variety, but that was my own expectation - it has nothing to do with what you wanted to write. Thanks for posting this, Fab.

Randy

Thank you Randy for the special attention you pay listening to the music of all of us Listening Room contributors and for the comment to mine.
    Is there a place you can point out that especially needs the sustained, more slowly gently sweeping passages you missed?
    Fabio

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Thank you Randy for the special attention you pay listening to the music of all of us Listening Room contributors and for the comment to mine.
    Is there a place you can point out that especially needs the sustained, more slowly gently sweeping passages you missed?
    Hi, Fab - What a nice thing to read first thing this morning as I start my day.

I do make a point to listen to all of the music the Forum members post here in The Listening Room. It doesn't take very much time to set aside a few minutes throughout my schedule and listen to what members have been up to. I find it constantly fascinating and inspiring to hear the huge variety of music people are sharing here. Usually I can also stop and add a post to each thread, letting people know I've heard their work, and I try to express how I've found it inspiring to see that they want to share what they've been working on. When I don't post a response, it's just a rare occasion of feeling stumped at that moment.

To me, the primary function and purpose of this LR is to encourage each other in our endeavors. I find that of much more importance than any specfic critique that can be offered. When I do offer suggestions or try to explain what didn't work for me, I try to not presume having any more authority than the person who created the work - because no matter how flawed the posted music may be, the creator is Always the authority on what was intended. And so I tend to be more specific about technical matters, maybe suggesting things that could improve the audio mix.

And so here on your "Memoriam" thread I mentioned that I thought there were going to be some less active, more sustained sections - and an important part of what I wrote was that it was only my own expectation, not really having anything to do with what you actually wrote.

I can only let that reaction remain general and non-specific. I wouldn't be able to tell you that I think there's a "...place you can point out that especially needs the sustained, more slowly gently sweeping passages..." There wasn't a moment while listening where I suddenly thought, "That should sustain" - It was a general reaction after listening. I thought of how there was a steady rhythmic pattern throughout, and how I might have expected a reflective piece written in memoriam to have some more peaceful passages, maybe even at 1/2 time to the rest. And so I wrote that, but wasn't suggesting a specific idea.

What you've written is something I find very effective, and I appreciate you posting it for us to hear, Fab.

Randy

Thank you for your reply.

I asked about where to place the sustained passage just because what I write is what I hear in My head while putting one note after the other on the staves. I try to avoid my natural tendency to sustained passages, but sometimes I feel I stay too much afar from myself, resulting into a breathless pace.

And I consciously wanted this piece being a sui generis "In Memoriam", more or less un-clicheed.
    I can't say or judging if I reached the scope by myself. So listener's comments and suggestion are welcome.

In some way, chamber music is a new field for mine. I was ill and needed to get into something simple, so I started to write a string trio, discovering you can have GPO Solo Strings to play better than just uploading it into Aria.
    Fabio

Fabio,

Did the "bird sounds" represent something in the music or your friend's life?

~Rodney

Hi Rodney.
    Yes, he recorded an acapella version of a Swedish song, "Såg du den lilla fågel" (http://youtu.be/06v58fFmo8E).
    It is not about a particular kind of little bird, but when I searched Google for, it showed me first a bluetit.
    Bluetitis are the birds we are use to feed at home, so I figured that he visit us in the form of hungry bluetitis
    and their chant is onomatopeitcally recalled by the solo highest note of the violin, a thing I have to better tune in the soundrack cause it went partially lost).
    Thank you for asking and listening.

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Your string trio seems to be coming along very nicely. I found this 2nd movement washing over me with the loss you must have experienced.

Music is so cathardic. When we can harness a small portion of our soul, and translate it into notes and sounds, it's just amazing how emotional it can be.

But I have to say, the sadness that's inherent in your piece I think turns into one of peacefulness. And that is the emotion and feeling I'm left with. Peacefulness.

This was a lovely piece to share with us Fabio; thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Frank

Dear Frank,
    thank you for your moving comment.
    Being able to convey the right feeling, having people feel the same I feel when I write a piece of music it's a rich, new experience for me.

Thus far O Friend! did I, not used to make
    A present joy the matter of my song,
    Pour out that day my soul I'm measured strains
    Even in the very words which I have here
    Recorded: to the open fields I told
    A prophecy: poetic numbers came
    Spontaneously, and clothed in priestly robe
    My spirit, thus singles out, as it might seem,
    For holy services: great hopes were mine;
    My own voice cheered me, and, far more, the mind's
    Internal echo of the imperfect sound;
    To both I listened, drawing from them both
    A cheerful confidence in things to come.

William Wordsworth, The Prelude, I, 55-67.
    Fabio

Go Back to forum