• Register
  • Help

Topic: Elementary sample editing question

Elementary sample editing question

I have a sample with some background noise that was probably introduced during the recording - a low rumbling noise. Is there a way to use Giga\'s editor to get rid of this, or at least improve the S/N ratio without too much damage to the basic sound? I\'ve never done any sample editing, so would appreciate any simple step-by-step directions.

thanks - jim

Re: Elementary sample editing question

The ideal way to get rid of this is to use a noise reduction programme/plugin.

There\'s some great ones out there which let you play an example of the noise (if you have it), and then use it as a \'fingerprint\' to pull the noise out of the sample. Programmes like Sonic Foundry noise reduction, Cooledit Pro has something too.

The best thing you can do if you don\'t want to go to an external audio editor is use Giga\'s filter.

Giga has filters similar to most analog synths around. The generic synth filter is a LPF - Low Pass Filter. All the way open, it lets everything through, but as you LOWER it you gradually remove frequencies, from high to low - the last thing to go is low frequenceis - hence low pass filter.

This is not for you. You need the HPF - High Pass filter. As you RAISE the level on a HPF it gradually removes frequencies from lowest to highest - the last thing to go is the top end. You\'ll need to experiment to see how much you want to carve out.

Get the gig up in the filter and click on the region with the problem.

Now (I\'m not in front of the PC so this will be vague) - click on the filter tab in case properties. There will be a filter type box with a drop down. Choose hpf and hit apply.
    Now you need to get rid of any \'dynamics\' which may be routed to the filter. You want no envelope control, and I can\'t remember how to set this. I think it\'s to do with the scaling function on the filter page. Hopefully someone can drop in a helpful hint here.

Next you need to play with the cutoff frequency - this determines the point below which the filter cuts off the low frequencies. This is trial and error. Change it, and listen. Sometimes you need to hit the apply button when changing certain functions, but I don\'t think so with cutoff.

When you\'re done, don\'t forget to save the instrument.

Sorry I can\'t be more specific. Perhaps later.

Good luck

Many thanks Rick. I will try it with Giga tonight and see how much it helps. The noise is audibly at a much lower frequency than the signal so maybe the hi-pass filter will be enough. If not, my adventure into sound processing will continue.

On the other topic of my difficulties saving Performances, I\'ve heard from several people who have had the same problem. There is some suspicion that it happens more with some samples than others. Can you think of anything about the sample you used (size, number of instruments, version of Giga used, etc.) that might account for your success? My theory is that if I keep bugging Tascam along with helpful hints they might fix it!

hmmm, I just made a default performance and used the sonic implants strat that I\'d just bought. It\'s not huge sample wise, but has twenty or so instruments in the gig file.

What do you have in your performances when things go South?

I\'ve been using four samples - Gigapiano, Hans Adamson\'s Malmsjo piano, Kip McGinnis\' Bosendorf and Michiel Post\'s Harpsichords volume 1. They\'re all pretty big samples (harpsichord is smallest) and have from 2 to a dozen instruments in each gig. The Gigapiano (with only two patches) works most of the time but not always. The others hardly ever work, I always get the first patch in the list and changes are impossible.

Back to the noise reduction problem. (BTW we could do this by e-mail if you\'d rather, I\'m at jjm542@pacbell.net). i understand the basic idea except for the envelope control. There is a slider on the filters page marked \"Velocity Dynamic Range\" which can be set from low to high. and a Velocity Curve which can be set to linear, nonlinear and \"special\" (whatever that means.) Are either of these relevant? There\'s also a Velocity Scale box with a numeric entry which can be set to zero - is that what you mean? Other than that there are no controls that appear to be relevant. (but what do I know, obviously!) Sorry for the ignorant questions - there really does need to be a tutorial on editing for dummies!

thanks again,

I suppose we should stick to the forum for everyone else\'s sake, but you an get me on chadwickdinkysounds@optushome.com.au (just remove the dinkysounds)

As you don\'t want the filter cutoff frequency to move around, you need to have NO dynamics in it.

I can\'t remember exactly, but I think to get zero response to velocity you change Velocity Dynamic Range to low and the curve to linear.

Scale interacts with dynamic range and curve type. (I hate this setup - it is so unintuitive) If you kill velocity sensitivity on the filter, then I don\'t think you\'ll be needing to worry about scale.

There should be a cutoff frequency box there somewhere - maybe I\'m wrong. That\'s what you would use to set the hpf\'s frequency.

When I\'m at work in the morning I\'ll have a proper look and get back to you asap.

Agreed, let\'s stay on the forum. Since you\'re half a world away (I\'m in California US) we can work all night!

There is a frequency cutoff box and I can see how to play with it. It\'s the other stuff that is, as you say, non-intuitive.

Getting to be my bedtime, I\'ll check in again tomorrow. Thanks Rick.

Go Back to forum