• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Arabic vocals...

Share/Bookmark

Arabic vocals...

I have a client who wants some arabic like chants/melesmatic singing at the top of one of their songs (like Sting\'s Desert Rose). Does anybody know of a library with the goods?

Re: Arabic vocals...

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    I have a client who wants some arabic like chants/melesmatic singing at the top of one of their songs (like Sting\'s Desert Rose). Does anybody know of a library with the goods?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">\'Voices of Istanbul\' is cool..

http://www.quparts.com/mp3/istanbul.mp3

be careful though.. \"Allah is great\" isn\'t popular messages in all situations. Trust me, I know.

/Tobias

hehee

tob,

that can get you into some very \"basic\" religious debates. It basically means \"god is great\" and then we star to get into \"who is god, what is, god, does god exist....blah blah blah\"

anywho,

What I do find problematic tho is that in most Showas about arabic nations they use a chant specific to prayer to define mulsim/islamic prayer. \"Alla-hu-akbahr....allahhh-hu-akbahhr\" this is the \"God is great\" quote. I grew up in a fairly (majorly on my mothers side, only recently from my fathers old age side) religious household, I\'m still the completelly the \"black sheep\" of my fathers 3 boys, 2 sisters, and my mothers only child so BELIEVE ME, I\'ve lived my little religious issues. So it depends on what you consider religous. If you veer from using the word \"god\" in your cues, stay away from the word \"allah\" and the word \"mohammed\" or \"muhammed\". Many of the \"common\" \"chants\" associated with the middle east reference religion in some sort.

You\'ll be best off on your part and on a religious/cultural front just using generic vocal phrases that are in the double harmonic scale (wow I get to use theory in a post)

Its not really specific, and is \"generic\" for middle east/middle asia/northern africa, but it doesn\'t carry the stigma of using phrases.

and thats all said from a purely islamic houshold POV (mostly my mothers side), if I really had my say, I would have just not have posted because I dont give a ****. (remember that comes from a guy who was forced to sunday school and was told he wouldn\'t make any $$$ being a rock star because he wasnt of a lighter skin, so my religious \"les affair\" attitude *may* just stem from upringing.... ahem ... (whether I\'m happy or not about this situation is a TOTALLY different story and not worth the on topic discusion space that I\'ve already used up [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

if you really need things defined, I can try to do so, but beware there\'s only so much I\'ll answer back when I have to ask these questions of religous personel..... they *all* think of me as \"bad\" here, which is quite funny if you actually know me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ... then again, if you hanfg out with me on a drinking spree [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] heheheheee absitche order going in soon, anyone ein the bay area want to hang out? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BTW I have a 4 octave (3 when I\'m drining) voice, so if you REALLY need some voice work, write it with woodwinds, and I *might* be able to sing it live (when the isoraxx are installed

that said, you know it takes \"talent\" to sing those chants (allah-hu-akbar) before prayer. Man *THAT* staement can get me going about so many things.

damn you tob..... hehee

there\'s SO uch that can be discussed here with this sucker....and with that I say \"stay awaay fro words, use lots of double harmonics and tonal drones and be happy)

Wow King... that\'s quite the post.... do i detect some baggage..... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, there\'s really not a lot of collections available from what I can tell. I saw voices of Istanbul, looks prettty cool. This is a great need though. What we need is sample libraries of arabic chants. I can see it now, the ads will say:

\"100% royalty free. 100% Authentic. 100% \"Allah Is Great\" FREE! Absolutely NO mention of Muhammad! We are completly sure this is the final Arabic vocal library you will ever need. Created by only the best producers in vocal sampling, recorded in the great long lost studio of the middle east by a world renowned engineer, and brought to you dithered to 16/44.1 from an austounding 24/192 to preserve the most audio fidelity. And not to be out done by those people in Vienna, we\'ve recorded over 3 million samples for use in your next production. Northen sounds users say \'Arabic Vocals Of The World\' (AVOTW for short) is a MUST HAVE for 2003!\"

King, I\'m happy you didn\'t become a rock star.. that would be such a loss for sample industry and forums like this! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don\'t care what religion people have.. but some people do. And that was what happened when I used the \"Alla-hu-akbahr....allahhh-hu-akbahhr\" phrase (didnt sound like that though) in a tune I did for Volvo. It was used in a typical corporate film for Volvo Bus in a big trade fair somewhere in europe. The client wanted the music to sound \"Exotic\". 2 days later I got a call from my client who wondered why someone was singing \"Allah is great\" in the track.. AARRGGHH.. This was right after the Usama Bin Laden attack.. BAD TIMING! Had to lie and say that I had doubled checked it with my arabic friend.. Anyway, I replaced the vocal phrase with a guitar and everybody was happy. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Tobias

Now you\'ve got me worried Tob. A couple of months ago I did a bit of music for a big clock - the type you see in town squares, with moving scenery and different vignettes - and the clock builder wanted something to go with monks. I sang some Gregorian chants using cobbled together latin phrases which translated to things like \'we are naughty monks who like to go to the tavern and gamble\', and \'even the pope likes a drink\'.

At the time I assumed no one would ever listen that closely, but now... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    Now you\'ve got me worried Tob. A couple of months ago I did a bit of music for a big clock - the type you see in town squares, with moving scenery and different vignettes - and the clock builder wanted something to go with monks. I sang some Gregorian chants using cobbled together latin phrases which translated to things like \'we are naughty monks who like to go to the tavern and gamble\', and \'even the pope likes a drink\'.

At the time I assumed no one would ever listen that closely, but now... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hahahahaha.. that reminded me of when the 3d artists at work put hidden messages in their graphics.. things like \"microsoft sux\".. When the film was projected on a very big screen those small letters wasnt that small anymore.. hehehe.

hi Chadwick and all
    Carl Off got away with Carmina Burana, which
    is essentialy a bunch of chants about monks gambling, drinking and commiting adultery [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

So I would\'nt worry [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

By The Way KING, What IS a double Harmonic scale?

Originally posted by spectrum:
    King...thanks for your insight!

As usual, your contribution is invaluable.

spectrum
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The invaluable insight being the scales or the confessions of drunkeness? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks King! I\'d already figured the liquor intake, but the theory lesson was priceless! Glad I could bring up life\'s little lessons [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-

Go Back to forum