• Register
  • Help

Topic: Maple/Pedals/Bos???

Share/Bookmark

Maple/Pedals/Bos???

Any luck getting the pedal sound to work with the Post Bos using Maple??? Added the art file to my Bos, made the changes to gigasampler and to Cakewalk. Still no luck.

J.G.
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

Re: Maple/Pedals/Bos???

John,

Somehow I got it to work with Sonar when I first tried to update it. However, I had to upgrade my hard disk and had to install the Bos again. That\'s where the problems started, especially with the new updates that were posted. After trying several combinations of the update successions, I finally got it to work again. I just cannot remember how I did it though - sorry - but I can tell you it works. Also, recording straight to Sonar with maple FX turned on results in pops and clicks so the only way to go is by capture-to-wav.

I think the problem is that there are no specific instructions on how to go about with the updates. Which one goes first? I don\'t know. If you get it right, however, I think I will never go back to playing without maple FX again. It\'s only subtle, but it\'s just not the same without it. It\'s just awesome.

By the way, I\'ve been listening to your music - heaven! You remind me so much of Glenn Gould\'s style and yet not! Also, your use of the PMI Bos is ultimate realism. The sample library itself is wonderful - but the way you make use of it is simply fabulous. If I didn\'t know anything about GIGA, I would have thought those pieces were for real. Congratulations!

Nhick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by john g:
    [QB] Any luck getting the pedal sound to work with the Post Bos using Maple??? Added the art file to my Bos, made the changes to gigasampler and to Cakewalk. Still no luck.

Hi John,

It works fine for me, so obviously there\'s some glitch with your setup. I\'m sure you\'ve done it, but I should ask anyway - you did select the \"Grandioso\" effect in Maple, didn\'t you? :-)
    Are you using Maple for anything else, so you can confirm that Maple itself is behaving correctly? The first culprit I would suspect, after the above, is that the MIDI routing options are not set correctly. Check \"Midi Settings\" in Maple\'s Options list. ...

Trond

Hi John,
    Can you tell me a little more about the setup and what parts are working.
    Eg. is Maple and GRANDIOSO FX installed and working? You can see if Grandioso FX and Maple is working; if you have the midi setup set correctly and the FX plug-in enabled you will see the midi receive light flash when midi data is coming in Maple.
    Is GST set to receive midi from Maple port 1? You have to set this in GST settings menu, under the Hardware/midi tab. You can see if it works when a/ you can play a note on the keyboard and see two blue notes on the loaded Maple-enabled PMI Grandioso instrument.
    b/ you send midi data from your sequencer and see the blue notes on the GST keyboard screen.

Is your sequencer sending midi to Maple? To check look at the Maple midi receive indicator. It should flash when midi is received.

Is MAple set to receive midi from a sequencer? You can select this in the midi setup screen.

Is the articulation update for the GRandioso instrument correct? You should see a lot of white notes outside the normal keyboard range (A0 to C8). If you play these notes on the Gigastudio keyboard you should hear a release note, or the pedal sound, depending on where you play.

I admit that the set-up of Maple/GRANDIOSO FX lacks a clear and simple manual. I will find the time to write a good step-by-step instruction.

In the mean while I pasted these instructions that cover basically everything.

Sorry for the long post!

---------------------------------------------------
    STEP 1

DOWNLOAD THE FILES Contact PMI for the download link. (you can buy a cd with these intsallation files for $10 in our on-line shop www.postpiano.com)

STEP 2

Unpack the files. Now you need to unpack the different components of the update: simply double-click each .exe file or un-zip the files.

1. Maple (the host program),

2. GRANDIOSO FX (the Maple plug-in for GRANDIOSO piano libraries),

3. Pedals (the extra samples required in The PMI STEINWAY D Classic gig) and/or Extra files (release samples) for the PMI BÖSENDORFER 290.

4. The articulate updates.

STEP 3

1. Installing Maple and Grandioso Midi FX

-----------------------------------------

Grandioso Midi FX is a plugin for the host application called Maple MidiTools. You will need to do two installs. The order of installs is not important, but I suggest for you to first install Maple (unzip the Maple.zip to a folder and double click Setup.exe) and then install Grandioso Midi FX (Unzip the \"Grandsioso FX.zip\" to a folder and double click Setup.exe). After installing both, you will need to reboot your system.

Follow the \"Midi Configuration Instructions\" in the readme.txt and when you have finished your configuration steps, skip to the last heading at the very end of this document called \"Using Grandioso Midi FX\" .

2. Installing the extra folders: Pedals in the Steinway D Classic Gig or Rel F and Rel MF in the PMI Bösendorfer 290.gig.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PEDALS.EXE and Bosendorfer extra files.exe are self-executable files which unpack to provide you with a folder (or 2 folders) with the needed pedal noise or release samples. You will have to import these folders in the sample folder section of the giga-editor.

In Windows 98 you can simply drag and drop the folder from the explorer in an open editor window. In Windows XP you’ll have to use the IMPORT DIRECTORY command, right click while in the sample plane and select it from the pop-up menu.

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

-First exit GigaStudio.

-Open the GigaEditor.

-Open the PMI Steinway D Classic.gig or PMI Bösendorfer 290.gig depending on which library you want to update.

-Open Windows explorer and navigate to the folder(s) where the pedals/release folder(s) is/are located. Drag and drop/import the folder(s) in the sample pool area in the left corner of the editor. Then save the file. This may take up to 10 or 20 minutes. It is important not to disturb this save process as this will make the Gig file corrupt.

3. Updating the Steinway D Classic or Bosendorfer 290 Gig with the Maple update articulation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steinway D Classic MAPLE 2.zip and Bosendorfer 290 Maple 2.zip will have to be un-zipped to provide you with the articulation files you will need to apply AFTER you added the pedal noise/extra release samples as mentioned above.

- First exit GigaStudio.

- Open Giga Editor.

- Open the PMI Steinway D Classic.gig or PMI Bösendorfer 290.gig.

- Then choose LOAD ARTICULATION in the File menu. Select the Maple update articulation.

- And then save the file again.

Step-by-step instructions for updating the GRANDIOSO Libraries:

1) Loading the Bosendorfer .gig file into the editor.
    2) Importing the two release folders into the editor.
    Or
    1) Loading the Steinway D classic .gig file into the editor.
    2) Importing the pedal folders into the editor.
    ---
    3) Saving the .gig file.
    4) Exiting the editor.
    5) Re-entering the editor and loading the .gig again.
    6) Applying the Bosendorfer Maple 2 articulation file and saving.
    Or
    6) Applying the Steinway D Maple 3 articulation file and saving.
    7) Exiting the editor.
    8) Starting Maple. Setting up the effect on channel 1.
    9) Starting gigastudio, loading a Grandioso instrument.
    10) Going to hardware/routing and selecting Maple
    channel 1 on the mapping and hitting \'apply\'.

Maple MidiTools
    --------------------------

Installing Maple and Grandioso Midi FX
    -----------------------------------------

Grandioso Midi FX is a plugin for the host application called Maple MidiTools. You will need to do two installs. The order of installs is not important, but I suggest for you to first install Maple (unzip the Maple301.zip to a folder and double click Setup.exe) and then install Grandioso Midi FX (Unzip the \"Grandsioso FX.zip\" to a folder and double click Setup.exe). Afet installing both, you will need to reboot your system.

Follow the \"Midi Configuration Instructions\" below, and when you have finished your configuration steps, skip to the last heading at the very end of this document called \"Using Grandioso Midi FX\" .

Midi Configuration Instructions
    -------------------------------

1. Maple Configuration (REQUIRED)
    Close all your running programs. If you have installed both Grandioso Midi FX and Maple, you will see a \"Maple Midi\" icon on your desktop. Double click this icon to use the beta and start Maple. Start Maple, and in the menu, choose Options | Midi Settings... to bring up the Midi Settings dialog window. If you will be using your sequencer on the same computer as Maple, choose \"Accept input from Sequencer (or scoring program)\", and press OK. If you are not using a sequencer on the same computer as Maple, you should select the hardware devices that Maple will use. Select \"Open inputs from Midi Interface Hardware\", and then select a device for each port\'s input drop-down box. Configure the Midi Input Port 1, 2, 3, and 4, and for any port that should not (or cannot) have a hardware midi input, choose <none>. Press OK.

2. GigaStudio Configuration (REQUIRED)
    Start GigaStudio and within GigaStudio, select the \"Settings | Hardware/Routing\" tab. For the \"Midi In Ports\" under \"MIDI in to MIDI Out Mapping\" on this tab, select \"Maple Midi In: Port 1\" for the first input box, and \"Maple Midi In: Port 2\" for the second input box. If your version of GigaStudio has four input boxes, choose \"Maple Midi In: Port 3\" and \"Maple Midi
    In: Port 4\" for the third and fourth boxes. Click on \"Apply.\"

If you are not using a sequencer or scoring tool to send midi to GigaStudio on this computer, you do not need to continue to step (3)

3. Sequencer or Scoring Program Configuration
    If you are running a sequencer or scoring program on the same computer as Maple, please use the appropriate heading below to configure your sequencer/scoring program. There are topics for Cubase, Sonar/Cakewalk, and Logic, as well as a generic \"Other Programs\" topic to cover the instructions for configuring scoring programs and other sequencers.

(a) Cubase Configuration
    For a one time configuration step, start Cubase and open the menu item of \"Option | MIDI Setup | System...\". In the \"Input From\" selection box, uncheck every one of the Maple Midi In ports. Press Exit.
    For each of your future (or existing) arrangements, you should configure every midi track destined for GigaStudio to send its output to a Maple Midi Out: port x. While you are using Maple, do not send midi output from any track to a Nemesys MidiOut port.
    Whenever you begin using GigaStudio, Cubase, and Maple, make sure you use the following start up order: GigaStudio first, then Cubase, and finally Maple. The order of GigaStudio and Cubase will always be important, and though the order of Maple ideally should not matter, it will be most forgiving of any configuration errors for you to start it last. For shutdown order, shutdown Maple, then Cubase, then GigaStudio. Also see the following note...
    IMPORTANT NOTE: While using a Cubase configuration for Maple, do not start Cubase by using GigaStudio\'s launch sequencer button. Instead, start Cubase from the Start menu or from a desktop icon. However, if you later use Cubase without a Maple configuration, it will be generally best to resume using the launch sequencer button.

(b) Sonar Configuration
    For a one time configuration step, Start Sonar or Cakewalk and choose the menu item of \"Options | Midi Devices...\". For the Input Ports half of this dialog, ensure that no Maple Midi In Ports are selected. For the Output Ports half of the dialog, select and highlight every one of the Maple Midi Out Ports, and deselect every Nemesys MidiOut port. Press OK.
    For each of your future (or existing) projects, you should configure every midi track destined for GigaStudio to send its output to a \"Maple Midi Out: Port x\". You will do this by choosing the correct output in the Port column of each track. While you are using Maple, do not send midi output from any track to a Nemesys MidiOut port.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: While using a Sonar/Cakewalk configuration with Maple, do not start Sonar/Cakewalk by using GigaStudio\'s launch sequencer button. Instead, start Sonar or Cakewalk from the Start menu or from a desktop icon. However, if you later use Sonar or Cakewalk without a Maple configuration, it will generally be best to resume using the launch sequencer button.

(c) Logic Configuration
    There will be a number of configuration steps that you should follow in order to properly configure Logic Audio with Maple. Described below, these steps are changing the Win.ini file, creating (or editing) an environment layer, and finally starting Logic, GigaStudio, and Maple in the correct order.

Win.ini Changes:

After you have installed Maple, run Logic at least once and shut it down, so that it can update the win.ini file with information related to Maple. Now you should navigate with \"My Computer\" or \"Windows Explorer\" to the folder called C:\\Windows and locate the file called win.ini. You will be editing this file, so make a backup of win.ini and call it \"win.bak\", just in case you make an error in editing the win.ini file. Open win.ini in a text editor such as Notepad, and make the following edits:
    1. Locate the Logic heading. Under this heading will be listed:
    MidiIn_Maple_Midi_In__Port_1=1
    MidiIn_Maple_Midi_In__Port_2=1
    MidiIn_Maple_Midi_In__Port_3=1
    MidiIn_Maple_Midi_In__Port_4=1
    2. Change each of these assignment values from 1 to 0. As aa result, the items should read:
    MidiIn_Maple_Midi_In__Port_1=0
    MidiIn_Maple_Midi_In__Port_2=0
    MidiIn_Maple_Midi_In__Port_3=0
    MidiIn_Maple_Midi_In__Port_4=0
    3. Save your changes. If you make a mistake and you find you need to restore the backup copy win.bak that you made, you can delete the file C:\\Windows\\Win.ini and rename the C:\\Windows\\Win.bak file to C:\\Windows\\Win.ini.

Logic Environment Layer Changes:

Start Logic and open an environment layer. From the \"New\" menu item, choose \"MIDI Out Port\" four times to create four new midi outputs. Select the first new midi output interface and name it \"MapleOut1\"; select the second new interface and name it \"MapleOut2\"; name the third interface \"MapleOut3\", and name the fourth interface \"MapleOut4\". Select the midi output interface you named \"MapleOut1\" and choose the driver for it to be \"Maple Midi Out: Port 1\". Select the MapleOut2 interface and choose as its driver \"Maple Midi Out: Port 2\". Select the MapleOut3 interface and choose the driver \"Maple Midi Out: Port 3\". Select the MapleOut4 interface and choose the driver \"Maple Midi Out: Port 4\".
    For each instrument in this layer that has its midi output destined for GigaStudio, connect it to the appropriate \"MapleOutx\" interface that you created. For example, connecting to MapleOut1 will result in midi for that instrument going to the first GigaStudio port.
    Now when you choose any of these instruments (that is connected to a MapleOutx) in your arrange window, you will automatically be sending the midi output for the instrument to Maple and GigaStudio correctly. Save your new Logic setup under a name of your choosing.

Logic and GigaStudio Startup Order:

When you use the Logic/Maple configuration, make sure you always start GigaStudio first, then Logic, and then Maple. When you shut down, exit Maple first, then Logic, Then GigaStudio. Refer also to the following note...
    IMPORTANT NOTE:
    While using a Logic Audio configuration with Maple, do not start Logic from GigaStudio\'s launch sequencer button. Instead, start Logic from the Start menu or from a desktop icon. However, if you later use Logic without a Maple configuration, it will generally be best to resume using the launch sequencer button.

(d) Other Sequencer and Scoring Programs
    This topic can give you an outline for the sort of steps you will need to take in order to configure a sequencer or any scoring program for use on the same computer as Maple and GigaStudio.
    Shut down Maple and GigaStudio if it is running, and start the sequencer/scoring tool. Open your sequencer/scoring tool\'s midi output device configuration (if it has one), and choose \"Maple Midi: Port x\" for at least one output port, where x is any port number from 1 to 4. Apply the changes. When you work on your sequencer/scoring projects, you will need to configure each track that is destined for GigaStudio to use a Maple Midi Out port for its midi output.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Once you have configured your sequencer/scoring tool to send midi data to the Maple midi outputs, you must NOT start the sequencer/scoring from within GigaStudio using GigaStudio\'s launch sequencer button. Instead, start it from the Start menu or from a desktop icon. However, if you later use the sequencer/scoring without a Maple configuration, it will generally be best to resume using the launch sequencer button.

Using Grandioso Midi FX
    -----------------------

Start Maple if it is not already running. In Maple, you will need to select Grandioso as a plugin on one of the channels. You can do this by expanding a port in the left window and selecting a channel, or by double clicking a channel in the right hand window. I would suggest you to start by selecting Port 1, channel 1. A new screen will appear in the right window, and in it will be a \"Effect Name\" list box. Choose \"Grandioso\" from this list (the only entries during this beta should be <None>, Grandioso, and MaestroTools if you have installed it). You will now get the Grandioso Midi FX on the channel you selected. You will probably also notice that there is a Pedal Noise selector in the right window - you can change the position of the slider to control the volume of the pedal noises. If you wish to completely turn off the pedal noises, you can move the slider all the way to the left.

To use Grandioso Midi FX, you will need to load into GigaStudio a giga-instrument that is capable of handling the Midi FX. For the Grandioso Steinway, the Midi FX capable patches are called VIRTUOSO instruments, so select a VIRTUOSO patch. Load it in the corresponding port and channel to the port and channel you just selected in Maple (if you followed my suggestion above, you should load it in Port 1, channel 1).

You should now be able to use Grandioso Midi FX. If you have loaded a VIRTUOSO patch, you will be able to do re-pedalling (crossfading between pedal down and pedal up samples while a note is playing), you will get release samples with more velocity levels than previously possible, and you will have pedal action samples for further realism.

Using MaestroTools
    ------------------

First, if you have not already installed MaestroTools301, you should do so now. Once MaestroTools v3.01 for Maple is installed, start Maple. In Maple, you will need to select MaestroTools as a plugin on one of the channels. You can do this by expanding a port in the left window and selecting a channel, or by double clicking a channel in the right hand window. I would suggest you to start by selecting Port 1, channel 1. A new screen will appear in the right window, and in it will be a \"Effect Name\" list box. Choose \"MaestroTools\" from this list (the only entries during this beta should be <None>, Grandioso, and MaestroTools). You will now get the MaestroTools capabilities on the channel you selected. All features should work exactly the same as in earlier MaestroTools versions.

Wow! Thanks for ALL the info folks. If I can\'t get it going now I\'m probably going to sue myself.

Thanks also for the kind support for the BOS BACH. You may be surprised to learn that I\'m using Audigy 1, that\'s right, a second-rate sound card to make the files at mp3.com. What\'s worse, I recorded them (inadvertently) in \"rear speaker\" mode, which (in addition to that fact they are 128kps files) very much detracts from the quality of the sound. So I\'m updating the \"updated Bos\" versions with a clearer file, which uses the appropriate Audigy output.

Also, wrestling with the verb, which I think is pretty obviously excessive (and obsessive) in places.

I DO think the Bos versions (notwithstanding my initial troubles) are superior to the old Steinway B versions, although I know there are still folks out there that like the latter.

J.G.
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

yepp, big thx for infos, searched the whole net, found nothing...:-(

now waiting for the DL-link from postmedia.com

btw: no way to get more and \"easy to understand\" infos @ postmedia?

greetz

Go Back to forum