• Register
  • Help

Topic: Demo of my upcoming Concert Flute

Share/Bookmark

Demo of my upcoming Concert Flute

Adagio in G- by Albinioni. MIDI file sequenced by M.Yaskawa (I think), with a couple of edits done by me. I added breathing noises, different articulations and velocities, and switched the instruments.

Violin 1 -> Maestro Concert flute beta 1
    Violin 2 -> Maestro Clarinet
    Viola -> Maestro Clarinet

What do you think of the flute sound? Any comments appreciated. My ears are a bit fatigued, after I´ve edited samples for several hours today. This gig file is a first draft, though it contains several articulatiuons and effects. The vibrato does get a little heavy at times, but there´s nothing I can do about it now. Anyway, flame on [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://exce.ath.cx/~route909/audio/adagio.mp3

Mats

Re: Demo of my upcoming Concert Flute

This is one hell of an expressive flute! Even the clarinet is awesome!

Nhick

I find the tone and playing to be quite nice.
    especially in the lower/mid registers.

I\'m still a bit spoiled by VSL\'s legato tool tho. Still I like most of this sample\'s sound.

Great work so far!

Can you let us know a little more about articulations and such?

You\'re right the vibrato can get a bit much, but some of the expressiveness in the non vib playing is pretty interesting to me.

There\'s some lack of consistancy in air pressure from note to note but it might be something that can be controlle with some EQs on certain notes, or just plain fixed with reverb wash [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I think its nice. Hopefully you sampled trills and possibly runs as well.

are you/will you still be recording, or is it all \"in the can\".

when is someone gonna sample a \"jethro tull\" type flute? Some super expressive jazzy/bluesy stuff and mouth noises in there too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Very nice flute. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

King, have you checked out the singing flute in the Roland sample-CD series?

/Tobias

I think King said it all. He sure knows how to pinpoint a flaw or two.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    I find the tone and playing to be quite nice.
    especially in the lower/mid registers.

I\'m still a bit spoiled by VSL\'s legato tool tho. Still I like most of this sample\'s sound.

Great work so far!

Can you let us know a little more about articulations and such?

You\'re right the vibrato can get a bit much, but some of the expressiveness in the non vib playing is pretty interesting to me.

There\'s some lack of consistancy in air pressure from note to note but it might be something that can be controlle with some EQs on certain notes, or just plain fixed with reverb wash [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I think its nice. Hopefully you sampled trills and possibly runs as well.

are you/will you still be recording, or is it all \"in the can\".

when is someone gonna sample a \"jethro tull\" type flute? Some super expressive jazzy/bluesy stuff and mouth noises in there too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Too bad, it´s all in the can. I recorded with a friend of mine for 5 hours straight and I doubt she´d do it again... but there are mouth noises sampled, breathing noises, semi hard starting notes (3 vel), smooth starts without \"tuh\" (3 vel), legato notes (2 vel), staccato (2 vel), tounge fluttering and key noise for every individual note. 441 samples all in all, at 171 mb. Remember that this is a mono flute. That means that there is about 1 hr 40 mins audio in this gig file.

There are no separate non vibrato samples, sorry, and I did not sample trills and runs - I believe that they should be playable from the sequencer. In my Clarinet sample they can, and it sounds pretty good. The goal is to do the same with this one.

The lack of consistancy in the air can partly be blamed on the extreme Controller 11 use in the file. Sometimes, the mp samples are as loud as the f ones.

All in all, I think the flute sounds pretty good for a first beta.

Mats

Originally posted by route909:

Mats [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">heck yah it does

If you could get her back in to do Trills I think it would be a good idea. While I also believe that they should be played from teh sequencer, without having actual REAL note to note legato samples (and having multiples of thsoe) it will never sound \"right\". Its usually the dead giveaway to most \"non musicians\" that you\'re using samples. Its the onee thing that jerks me out of any wind performance IMO.

no seperate non vib notes, really? Is it just a delay in the vibrato on some notes, because it sounds like some notes dont have any vibrato. Anywho, sounds like a nice sample IMO.

tob,

nope, but now I have to!

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by route909:

Mats
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">heck yah it does

If you could get her back in to do Trills I think it would be a good idea. While I also believe that they should be played from teh sequencer, without having actual REAL note to note legato samples (and having multiples of thsoe) it will never sound \"right\". Its usually the dead giveaway to most \"non musicians\" that you\'re using samples. Its the onee thing that jerks me out of any wind performance IMO.

no seperate non vib notes, really? Is it just a delay in the vibrato on some notes, because it sounds like some notes dont have any vibrato. Anywho, sounds like a nice sample IMO.

tob,

nope, but now I have to! [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Spoke to her, before we went to stage at a concert today. She said ok to re-record some of the stuff, as well as adding trills, tounge flutter, runs, non-vibrato samples, etc. So don´t worry.

Mats

woohoo glad to hear.

Please do some sfz flutter tongue samples, with a hard attack [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Those would rock.

Heheh. Nice one. Think you can trick me into thinking that flute isn\'t being played by a real person live? Think again! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Man, this sounds *nice*! Outstanding work! And keep a lot of vibrato on the samples. Lots and lots of it. I love the sound of vibrato on flute.

Go Back to forum