• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Wavelab MP3 sting

The Wavelab MP3 sting

After many months of using Wavelab 4.0 MP3 features I suddenly get a message saying that I had 20 MP3 exports left and that I had to buy the lifetime license to go beyond that point. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Since I couldn\'t see that licensing issue written anywhere in Steinberg Wavelab\'s notes you can imagine my surprise. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Before getting upset at that, I decided to give a call to Steinberg so that they could justify this.
    The tech guy tells me there must be a mistake, that since I got 4.0 there shouldn\'t be a need for any extra license ...etc [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

He goes to talk to his boss and upon returning apologizes and confirms that I\'ll have to pay another $10 for the license. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    He himself admitted that this was a rip off but hey, I need to burn MP3\'s quite often so here is my extra 10.

But really, what is this?!
    You buy a product, use it for months and then these hidden little messages pop up:

still want to use our compressor? : $20

you like this fader? : $15

how about the pre delay of your reverb unit? : $45

wanna keep the midi edit page? : $75

No comments

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Re: The Wavelab MP3 sting

Wow, Sound Forge 6 comes up right away saying you need to register (it gives you 20 times to make MP3\'s) but its registration is free. Funny, I paid half the amount for Forge as I would have for Wavelab. Bummer.

the extra charge for mp3 and mpeg thing is showing up in alot of apps (vegas, cubase, etc)

Its because you have to pay the lisence to use the format I believe (or the software company does...something like that)

how about charging for the MP3 license at the time of the original purchase of the program.
    Since this is a mastering suite you\'d imagine one would use the MP3 feature quite a bit...
    And maybe some warning prior to the purchase would be nice...

dont get me wrogn I agree.

but I think they look at it as. \"You can save money if you already have an encoder of some sorts that you really like\"

Not a huge hassle, but it should pop up earlier thats for sure, or you should have the option when purchasing.

Exactly my point.
    Not to mention i was on hold 30 minutes to get to talk to someone at Steinberg and eventually agree to pay the $10.
    It\'s been 2 days now and I haven\'t received the email with the authorisation so i\'ll have to call again. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    My hourly rate is a lot more than $10/hour. I guess I should charge Steinberg for the difference. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Yah but $10.00??? Just raise the price $10.00 and include the darn license please, thank you.

Hey - I\'ll go y\'all one better... this time from the Mac side of the fence.

Roxio just offered a rebate on its program Jam - it allows RedBook level CD\'s to be burned through Toast... and a friend of mine decided to download it for $60... not too bad...

Not too bad, that is, until he installed the program and wanted to learn how to use it. Jam installed correctly - but there was no documentation on how to use it other than the Help file within the program itself. Not even a PDF manual - or a PDF \"Thank You for buying Jam!\" notice.

This didn\'t sound right to me - I figured there had to be one on-line at Roxio\'s site - so I offered to look for it...

And after an hour\'s worth of searching their forums as well as their site, I finally had him email support to find out where it was.

And they actually emailed him the following:

\"Unfortunately, the download version of Toast and Jam does not include a manual. If you wish to purchase a manual, you may, by contacting Customer Service at 866-279-7694. Keep in mind that the Jam help is very close to the manual.\"

So he called... and the cost for that manual? $16.95.

Mind you, the help files comprise maybe ten pages of text - so that manual must be printed on gold leaf...

Go Back to forum