• Register
  • Help

Topic: Samples in this track.

Share/Bookmark

Re: Samples in this track.

hmmmm...I don\'t know what specific library that is, but i\'ve heard that african choir type lick at :07 plenty of times in Mark Snow\'s stuff from the \"X-Files\" and it was actually in his opening theme for the series \"Nowhere Man\". So with a little deductive reasoning...Mark used the Synclavier on 99% of his TV scores during that period, so maybe that\'ll give you a decent starting point. Don\'t know anymore than that.

So who did this track? Where\'s it from?

Regards,
    Scott

That sure sounds like Russ Landau. Something from Survivor?? I know I\'ve heard vocal planet in Russ\' stuff before, but this sounds unlike any library I\'ve heard. If it is Russ, I know he\'s accumulated material from his various trips to some of the locations. I was lucky enough to recently record a tribe of Maasai that happened to be in town from Kenya. Have an hour and a half worth of great chants and yells. Sometimes, you can actually get by without a library! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    If you\'re interested, the first time I was able to use them was in a trailer I composed here. http://www.uruobsession.com/pages/movies.shtml
    They come in about halfway through.
    Regards,
    Tim

Samples in this track.

http://www.northernsounds.net/useruploads/img3ef894ab5ff2a.mp3

Please excuse the poor sound recording quality.

Im trying to find vocal samples like the ones used in this track. Any suggestions? Whats the vocal sample at 7 seconds from?

Anyway, I dont know if Vocal Planet has this type of thing, but I would rather spend less on a smaller library right now.

Ed

Originally posted by Scott Speed:
    hmmmm...I don\'t know what specific library that is, but i\'ve heard that african choir type lick at :07 plenty of times in Mark Snow\'s stuff from the \"X-Files\" and it was actually in his opening theme for the series \"Nowhere Man\". So with a little deductive reasoning...Mark used the Synclavier on 99% of his TV scores during that period, so maybe that\'ll give you a decent starting point. Don\'t know anymore than that.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Funny, I didnt even have to mention Mr Snow this time. lol. This track was composed by Sean Callery (24\'s music guy) and also uses the Synclavier. (Mark Snow was his mentor) I even read he even trained people how to use them (Synclaviers).

Anyway, I\'ve also heard that same ethnic choir lick in Snows and Callery\'s scores. I have all the Synclavier libraries from Ilio so if its a Synclavier only library Ilio was dumb enought not to include it.

I got an instant message from TvM saying that the samples I want are in the Heart of Africa libaries, but I assume its Heart of Africa volume 2 beucase I only have volume 1. Can anyone confirm this?

Ed

PS: Can someone listen to Enigma \"The Eyes of the Truth\" and tell me what samplelibrary the ethnic chating is from? And before you say its live I once downloaded a demo for a sample libary that had the exact same chanting, but now Iv\'e gone and forgotten the title of it.
    [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I really need/want this kind of ethnic vocal stuff.

Originally posted by TLarkin:
    That sure sounds like Russ Landau. Something from Survivor?? I know I\'ve heard vocal planet in Russ\' stuff before, but this sounds unlike any library I\'ve heard.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually its Sean Callery. I was sent the recording by a friend. Its from a show called \'Sheena\' which is supposed to be VERY bad... but hey, I like the Main Title music! lol.

Perhaps Sean recorded *some* of the vocals live but I suspect most of it is samples.

If it is Russ, I know he\'s accumulated material from his various trips to some of the locations. I was lucky enough to recently record a tribe of Maasai that happened to be in town from Kenya. Have an hour and a half worth of great chants and yells. Sometimes, you can actually get by without a library! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ll send you my address for you to send them [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] hehe

If you\'re interested, the first time I was able to use them was in a trailer I composed here. http://www.uruobsession.com/pages/movies.shtml
    They come in about halfway through.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Is that the \"Uru_Trailer_Music2.mp3\"? Wow, I love it. The vocals sound cool, I want them [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] is iut just me or is this kind of thing a gap in the market? I know people dont like using phrases beucase it hinders individuality, but provide plenlty usualble phrases like this and I think that will lessen. Tim, do/did you have any favourite libraries you get ethnic voices from?

But going back to your track, what other samples did you use in this?? The percussion is so cool. Whats it from?? My guess: Heart of Africa vol 1, right? Hope so, cos I have that lol. *hopes it isnt live*. If you dont mind me asking: How do you go about creating this kind of percussion groove??

Do you reckon they will release Uru music on cd?

Also, in \'Mudpie Open\' is the flute a sample? If so whats it from?

Ed

Is that the \"Uru_Trailer_Music2.mp3\"? Wow, I love it. The vocals sound cool, I want them is iut just me or is this kind of thing a gap in the market? I know people dont like using phrases beucase it hinders individuality, but provide plenlty usualble phrases like this and I think that will lessen. Tim, do/did you have any favourite libraries you get ethnic voices from?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, that\'s the file. Glad you like it. I do use Vocal Planet on occasion for ethnic vocals, although it really lacks in what I\'d like to have. I\'ve also used Voices of Native America for a few yells here and there. All the voices in that trailer are from the Maasai sessions that I did.
    But going back to your track, what other samples did you use in this?? The percussion is so cool. Whats it from?? My guess: Heart of Africa vol 1, right? Hope so, cos I have that lol. *hopes it isnt live*. If you dont mind me asking: How do you go about creating this kind of percussion groove??
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The percussion is from all over the place. I have an XV-5080 with a World card that I abuse, as well as Heart Of Africa and some original samples. I think I used some Heart Of Asia drums as well.

As far as how I create the percussion groove... It\'s usually quite a bit of layering, then removing things that stand out or don\'t work. I\'ll pick it apart beat by beat until I get something I\'m happy with. Lots of tweaking to make it feel natural. Playing with velocities, volumes and samples.

Also, in \'Mudpie Open\' is the flute a sample? If so whats it from?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s a stock 5080 sample.

Do you reckon they will release Uru music on cd?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">We\'re planning on it. Should be released if all goes well in October.

Tim

Go Back to forum