• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Legend of Erthia OST - Main Theme (The Second Movement)

Share/Bookmark

The Legend of Erthia OST - Main Theme (The Second Movement)

I spent the day yesterday composing the second movement to the main theme to The Legend of Erthia. The overall theme will consist of five separate parts. This composition is different than what I have been sharing. I used a lot more dynamics while creating this. The overall theme will be about 10-15 minutes once I finish composing all of the movements.

"Six heroes arrive in Felicia. The challenges that await them are of the most dangerous. In the end, Erthia's fate will rely on the choices they make..."

Libraries used:
    - Garritan Instant Orchestra (Majority of the instruments)
    - Dimensions Pro
    - EWQSO Silver

Re: The Legend of Erthia OST - Main Theme (The Second Movement)

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    I spent the day yesterday composing the second movement to the main theme to The Legend of Erthia...
    Hi, Richard "Sururuck" - Goodness that's fast work! I've literally never been able to produce anything that fast, no matter how simple the music. I admire your ability to zip along like that!

And this piece certainly fits nicely into the moody pastiche you're composing for the game. The more flowing, organic sounding dynamics you have in this are duly noted - nice work!

Randy

Excellent bit of fantasy drama. Sets a great tone for epic nature of the game. I've no idea what the game will be like but I know the music will be excellent. Game does look good though - I love a bit of old school roleplaying.

On the render, some of the string marcatos sound slightly off the beat (and not purposely so), or maybe they are losing definition or perhaps 'attack' and so are sounding that way to me. Not sure.

Another cool fantasy piece though.

Cheers
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

@Randy
    Thanks, I agree! After spending more time with the dynamics. I truly believe it is worth while. I also used some quantization option in sonar on a lot of the tracks to make it sound less machine like. I never really played around with the feature until now. All this time of composing I always just stuck to the very basics such as hand drawing in each note, applying the plugins, and occasional dynamic. Today, I began my first song which I am creating with a midi keyboard rather than the hand drawing. I bought it a couple years ago but got frustrated because I couldn't play it properly. However, I spent few hours today experimenting with it. It definitely helps a lot with the volume dynamics rather than hand editing them in. One thing I found though, it does have that nice flow as compared to the hand drawn method. I am going to have to start practicing more with it.

@Graham
    Thanks for the feedback and for listening to the composition. What I did with the fast marcato strings is I faded them in and out. Perhaps it was a bad idea for consistency, but I really wanted the theme of the horns and percussion to shine. I found while keeping the marcatos at a consistent high volume level it drowned out the strings and also didn't give room for the left percussion. Thanks again for the feedback, I am glad you are enjoying the compositions.

Nice work on this, Richard; you have some strong,
    dramatic thematic elements, worthy of development.

Remember always the four horsemen of performance:
    tempo, phrasing, dynamics, articulation!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum