• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anituba's Dance...just for fun

Share/Bookmark

Anituba's Dance...just for fun

Hi, all...

In my younger days, a couple friends and I used to do a lot of low brass demonstrations and clinics. I had prepared a slew of easy "flex-band" accompaniments that could be used for middle-school or high-school bands to accompany one of us as a tuba or euphonium soloist. We did easily-recognizable tunes to help get kids off those squeaky trumpets and on to euphonium or tuba, and to show reluctant parents that low brass instruments were cool as well.

Long story short, I thought I had lost all of them (on disk and on paper) in the flood that ruined my basement four years ago, but I found some of them on an old hard drive about which I had totally forgotten.

I love the GPO tuba and the GPO woodwinds, so here is one of them, Anituba's Dance from the Peer Gynt Suite. EDIT: Revision in later post.

I am not a great mixmaster; in fact I just work in notation and draw in some controller data. My setup is simple, but I still enjoy doing these. Not a great work of art, but just fun.

I decided to accompany the solo tuba with a woodwind ensemble--Flute, oboe, E-flat clarinet, 3 B-flat clarinets, B-flat contrabass clarinet, and bassoon. Also present is, of course, the triangle. All from GPO 4. I moved the key up a half-step to put it in a more brass-friendly key (my friends played either E-flat or BB-flat tuba) and to take advantage of the great pedal B flat at the end.

Jim W.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Anituba's Dance...just for fun

Randy--AMAZING!! Thanks for the pic!!! Is that your own Photoshop or similar creation? What a great illustration!!

I may try to get the file to sound better if my schedule permits. Lots of gigs to do next couple weeks, then I am off to Adult Jazz Camp for a week!!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Randy--AMAZING!! Thanks for the pic!!! Is that your own Photoshop or similar creation? What a great illustration!!

I may try to get the file to sound better if my schedule permits. Lots of gigs to do next couple weeks, then I am off to Adult Jazz Camp for a week!!

Jim
    Ha! Glad you got a kick out of that, Jim. After hearing your very nifty adaptation of Grieg, the idea just popped in my head to cook up an image for you.

I did a quick Photoshopping of two images. The dancing girl is actually Anitra, as illustrated by the famous artist Arthur Rackham. Here's a page of art prints from his "Peer Gynt" series:

RACKHAM'S "PEER GYNT"

Anitra is in the bottom row at the far left. I found a good high resolution copy of that.

The Tuba is from 1879, by C. G. Conn - Being a Tuba enthusiast, you may know his name. Here's the page where I clicked the second photo to get a nice big, high resolution copy of the instrument:

CONN TUBA 1879

I layered them, erased the background in the Tuba photo, did some coloring and water color filtering on the Tuba to blend the two layers together better, and pasted in some of Anitra's costume to swirl around the instrument.

You know, that composite picture is large, good resolution, and would print nicely. You could use it for a printed and bound copy of your adaptation!

The recording was quite sufficient. I could hear all the instruments, and how well you adapted the original. If you go back to work with it more, the woods could come up in volume - they're not going to easily over power that big ol' Tuba lead!

Thanks for the fun music, and glad you like my illustrated response.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    It deserves its own illustration - so here you are!
    Tubular, dude!

What a cool Idea. I have always liked Anitra's Dance and this is a great interpretation. I enjoyed very much.
    Thanks for posting. Jay

I also can't ignore Randy's great pic.

Hello snorlax, great to see you posting again! This is indeed a fun piece, and I have to admit, though the Tuba is wonderful, the triangle really makes this piece

Loved the arrangement, and thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Just a few quickie comments before I put this one to bed...

1. Thanks to all for listening and for the encouragement

2. Special thanks to Randy for that amazing artwork!!

3. I did a quick revision that can be found here. Per Randy's advice I bumped the tuba down a bit and the woods up a bit--perhaps could use a bit more ww and still less tuba. I also made some of the woodwind swells sweller and twiddled a few other bits. That's it for this one now...

4. Randy, CG Conn Co. is well-known in brass and woodwind circles. My musical mentor, Harvey Phillips, played and endorsed a Conn tuba until the last few years, when he switched to Holton, but now they are all under the same banner due to merging and consolidation anyway. My current euphoniums are a Miraphone (made in Germany) and a "Yamaholton"--stamped Holton but made by Yamaha...quite common in the instrument biz. I have owned a few Conn instruments through the years. In the heyday of bands, Conn, King and Holton were the cream of the crop. For you non-brass players, please google "Harvey Phillips" and learn about the man...I miss him every day. I'm still on the board of his foundation and am still dedicated to his cause of increasing awareness and respect for the tuba and euphonium.

5. For a fascinating history lesson, go here and see the Conn factory in all its 1911 glory!!

6. Sanyarem: Yes, it's nice to be back. Several people on the forum have had some crap in their lives and have had to curtail activity for a while...my turn came a while back and I'm just getting back into the swing of things after a bit more than a year.

7. I'm just as fired up for Garritan libraries now, after 7-8 years of using them, as I ever was, & am looking forward to posting some more when time permits.

8. I'll do a couple more of these "tuba or euphonium plus flex-accompaniment" things then move along to some jazz.

9. I'll be in "Adult Jazz Camp" from July 8-14...non-stop euphonium snorbop will invade the University of Louisville...

10. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to be a performer so I could do more with my libraries (well, not exactly, but I'm so heavily invested in performing, and enjoy it so much, that I don't dare quit for another few years).

Back to practicing...

Snorlax
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Nice going, Kid!

Good tuber work. I can see the poor tuber player's lungs emerging from the instrument bell.

Enjoyed it.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I know i'm a few days too late, but i really enjoyed that!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast