• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway B, C or D?

Share/Bookmark

Steinway B, C or D?

Hi,

I heard about those Steinways but I wish to know the differences between each one, which is better and all the relater information that you can bring me

Thanks.

Re: Steinway B, C or D?

It\'s not a matter of better or worse. As Lee pointed out, generally the larger the piano, the more bass response.

Also as Lee pointed out, with used pianos, certainly no two, even of the same year and size, will sound the same. And actually the same can be said regarding new instruments. Each has its own unique timbre which is determined by variables such as the stiffness of the soundboard, and even the wood which is laminated to make up the case. Of course the differences between new pianos of the same maker and model will be usually marginal, but not always.

Personally my choice, if I could afford one, would be a Steinway B. I prefer an instrument with less low end than a concert grand.

Regarding samples, I have found that the quality of the recorded sample has much more to do with my preference than the piano itself. For example, my favorite sample these days is the Bardstown Bosendorfer although when it comes to a real instrument, I would invariably choose a Steinway over a Bosendorfer.

Hope this helps.
    Jim

I bought a new Steinway upright a couple years ago. (the largest upright they make, can\'t remember the model) There were 2 in the shop, right next to each-other and one sounded thin and nasty and the other sounded like a baby grand. Maybe it has something to do with the assembly. I know that this store put both of those pianos together in house.

Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    I bought a new Steinway upright a couple years ago. (the largest upright they make, can\'t remember the model) There were 2 in the shop, right next to each-other and one sounded thin and nasty and the other sounded like a baby grand. Maybe it has something to do with the assembly. I know that this store put both of those pianos together in house.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have the large Steinway upright also. It\'s called the K-52 (52 meaning 52 inches tall). All Steinway pianos are hand made in either New York (or Germany for the European market). Since they are hand made, each piano is quite unique, and they can sound very different from one another, even within the same model. For instance, I played two Model Bs the other day side by side, one was incredible, the other awful. However, remember also that Steinways, when new especially, require a LOT of setup and voicing. A good piano technician can make all the difference.

To reply to the original poster\'s question, and assuming you are looking to buy an acoustic piano, not a sample source, I would go for the most piano I could afford. If you can afford a new B at approximately $65,000 USD, then go for it. If you have room in your house and cash in your wallet for a D at $85,000 USD, you couldn\'t make a finer purchase. Just remember to play as many of whatever model you can. Again, they are all unique. Going to Steinway Hall in New York on West 57th, you\'d be able to play a lot of different instruments. Might be worth a trip before you plunk down $85K for the only Model D your local store happens to have in stock.

John

Thanks for your info, and I was looking for a Steinway Sample but I didn\'t know the differences between each one

Re Nick\'s Steinway upright. The best uprights ever made, if you can find a good one. There rare.

John G.
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

Go Back to forum