• Register
  • Help

Topic: Donkey Dance

Share/Bookmark

Donkey Dance

Dancing Donkey

This a rewrite of an organ piece, "El Burrito Chningado", now retired. It seems to work better as a piano solo, so here it is. Time, about 4 minutes. The mp3 uses GPO Steinway.

Richard.

Added 30 June:

I changed my mind. I will keep them both. Here is the original organ version, for those who wish to compare.

El Burrito Chingado

The mp3 uses GPO organ.

Both versions have the same wrong notes about two thirds into the piece, but they are not bad, and are being corrected for the final version of the score.

Re: Donkey Dance

Hey Richard,

So funny ... I loved this piece when you first posted it, but by the time I got around to commenting, I couldn't find it! Ahh ... thought I was going crazy but after not finding it, I figured, OK let me try Richard's 'donkey' ... voila! ... same piece, new orchestration. So glad I had downloaded the original organ flavor ... love to compare different orchestrations of the same arrangement.

Ironically, I was going to comment on the organ version and tell you I really liked this "La Cuccaracha theme and variations on loco weed", but would love to hear it on piano vs the organ ... and now, here it is, on piano! Just great, a really creative and infectious piece ... very Mexican, very classical, very jazzy ... Simply loved it!

Regards,

Frank

Well, I have re-instated the original organ version, put the link back at the start of this thread.

The piano version is more distinct than the organ. The organ is a bit muddy, needs work on registration.

Your comments, as usual, are accurately descriptive. Perhaps I should have included a reference to La Cucaracha in the title, as a free fantasy suggested by it, but it seemed clear enough without explanation.

Originally, the piece was named "Peyote Papa", but that was discarded because of my total aversion to mind altering substances. Maybe "The Cuckoo Cucaracha" would have been a better choice.

I think the original version of La Cucaracha lyrics were something about a person grouching because he could not get any marijuana to smoke! Cucaracha is, or was, a slang term for an old grouch.

Does anybody really need to know all that? Well, they know it now!

Richard

As someone else who previously heard the organ version, and then wondered where the post went, I also raise my hand in voting for the piano version as being the more effective of the two. I see you now have both versions in the thread header, good idea.

As someone who at least at an earlier age had no aversion to mind altering substances, it's good you didn't use the title with Peyote in it. The music doesn't have the right hallucinogenic feel, it's too animated in a non-altered way for a Peyote reference to be appropriate. "Donkey Dance" fits the nice, quirky quality of this little piece.

How did you delete your original post--? Did you put in a request to the Admins?

Randy

Well, Randy, deleting was not problem. There were no responses, which is why I was able to delete. I selected edit this post, then delete, and zap! it was no longer there!

The piano version is definitely crisper and clearer, more expressive. It remains my favorite, but at least for a while, I will keep both versions.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    ...There were no responses, which is why I was able to delete. I selected edit this post, then delete, and zap! it was no longer there!...
    Ah! I see - If a thread starter is the only post, then it can go >poof< - But if there are responses added, at that point it would need the magic of the Admin to delete it. Got it.

Randy

Choices, choices!

I do believe I prefer the organ version...

Most interesting to hear the different renditions, though.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Well, David, thanks for your thoughts. Today, I prefer the piano version. Yesterday my favorite was the organ version. But ....tomorrow is another day.

It took me a while to notice your remarks, because my data hard drive died and locked up my C drive. I now have a new data drive, and have restored essential music and document files. However, there remains a significant number of photos that I hope to recover if I can find a data recovery person whose rates are not going to send me into cardiac arrest! This particular problem is one that I can not solve by myself!

Randy, you got it right. You can delete your own posts, only. So if there had been responses, I could have deleted my post, and left the responses dangling.

Richard

Go Back to forum