• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Free Crumhorn Samples, Alto and Tenor

Share/Bookmark

Free Crumhorn Samples, Alto and Tenor

About 6 months ago I sampled an alto and a tenor crumhorn. Tob generously offered to host the files. So here they are, along with a demo.. for you to use however you like.

I haven\'t looked at the gig files for a while, but I believe there is a sustain and a staccato in each instrument. The upper range of the alto has been extended, and the lower range of the tenor so one *could* so SATB crumhorns.. but that\'s a lot of sample stretching.

I\'m no crumhorn expert, but here\'s what I came up with.

Demo - Crumhorn Trio

Download - Alto Crumhorn

Download - Tenor Crumhorn

Perhaps \"crummy\" in some ways, but it\'s free. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Free Crumhorn Samples, Alto and Tenor

The ictus/icti ? tend(s) to be a bit short and by the sound of things either the instruments are of plastic or alternatively of a lighter weight wood than something like grenadilla which would give a slightly darker tone.
    Similarly, as you pitch shift up, the harmonics tend to dictate that this has indeed been done.
    If you use Cooledit or something similar(with care) to lengthen just the attack fraction only, this should help. Perhaps also you could analyse the change in partials in comparison over the notes as they traverse the scale and filter by amplification or attenuation of the same as the pitch rises, this should improve matters considerably.
    Otherwise a very palpable example of how they should sound.
    In the end when played in a consort of other like instruments, I doubt that most people would ever tell the difference on a non-analytical listen apart from the fact that very few will know what a true Krumhorn/Cromorne/Crummhorn sounds like.

Aenigma,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. One can never have too many crumhorn samples, if one\'s ambition is to do something as wonderful as Phil Pickett\'s \"Alchemist.\"

Any more like this?

Greg

Somebody made a plastic crumhorn?!

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    Somebody made a plastic crumhorn?!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">http://www.susato.com/historicalwinds.htm#SusatoCrumhorns&Kelhorns

Y\'know, I\'ve heard some otherwise picky people say rather nice things about the tone of Yamaha\'s Bressan alto ;-) The fogging problem with plastics is another matter.

Greg

Kinda like an artificial fart, isn\'t it?

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    Kinda like an artificial fart, isn\'t it?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I guess how you feel about crumhorns depends a lot on how you were raised. Me, I was raised on Dr. Seuss *and* early music [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Greg

I\'m now sitting here, positively giddy, downloading away.

I mean, I\'ve been searching for crumhorn samples for I don\'t know how long... and plastic crumhorns? I didn\'t know... and right now, even if they are plastic, finding that these samples are available is pure bliss. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And Oksi - I agree with you - one can never have too many crumhorn samples - but are there others and I\'ve been too blind find them? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

And oh, to find a bass crumhorn sample...

Aenigma - thank you thank you thank you! This has made my week... (and thanks to Tob for hosting them... hmmm... G-Town Crumhorns? The mind boggles at such possibilities...)

I was raised on early music too - my first instrument was recorder, and I kept going when most people switch to a \"real\" instrument! (Although I do play several real instruments too...)

The Yamaha VL1 has a great crumhorn program, and that\'s what I\'ll use if there\'s every a call for it. It\'s amazing that instrument didn\'t catch on, as I might have mentioned once or twice!

Originally posted by x$:
    And Oksi - I agree with you - one can never have too many crumhorn samples - but are there others and I\'ve been too blind find them? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

And oh, to find a bass crumhorn sample...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have the VL crumhorn patch Nick mentioned (albeit running on a mere VL70), and I agree it\'s tres swell. If you want a sure-enough bass crumhorn sample and are willing to pay a little, try the Northstar Ancient Worlds library:

http://www.northstarsamples.com/AncientAkai.html

I have it and am pretty happy with it.

That\'s about it, as far as I know. I was auditioning some old DX7 patches the other day (using a pretty nice DX7 emulator for SynC Modular), and blow me down if a so-called \"electric guitar\" patch didn\'t sound closer to a crumhorn than any other synth patch I\'ve ever heard! Just goes to show . . . something, I guess.

But again, Aenigma, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Greg

Go Back to forum