• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sinking

Share/Bookmark

Sinking

Hello there!

Though I haven't been posting much lately, I have certainly been reading/listening frequently. Time has really just flown by, I sincerely believed I made my last post in the Listening room merely weeks ago only to realize it was nearly 5 months ago! So, here is a 10-player percussion ensemble called "Sinking"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...ongID=11740013

This is my loose attempt at programmatic percussion by describing the descent of a ship to the bottom of the ocean. (It skips all that ship-wrecky stuff and starts just as the ship goes below the surface)

Here is a breakdown of the instrumentation and samples used. Though there are more VDLite instruments listed than GPO, most of the VDLite instruments play a smaller role (save, perhaps, the marimbas), than the other instruments.

GPO

Xylophone
    Vibraphone x2
    Crotales
    Bass Drum
    Suspended Cymbal (Played with Medium Gong sample)
    Triangle
    Tam-Tam

VDL

Timpani
    Bells (Glockenspiel)
    Marimba x2
    Chimes
    Triangle
    Snare Drum
    Ride Cymbal
    Medium Toms
    Tambourine

Thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Sinking

It's a great Sunday, for several reasons, and a high reason on my list is that we have more music from Michael "Sanyarem."

Michael, the way you create such evocative pieces with percussion instruments always weaves some real magic over me. It's something I've never done, wouldn't know how to do, so I really admire your expertise.

This totally works for me. Wonderful. - But omigosh, 5 months between posts?! You gotta fix that.

I take it that you prefer those VDL Marimbas more than GPO, also true of Tympani and the other instruments from VDL that you use here. Can you say what qualities those instruments have that you prefer? I'm just curious, mostly because I've used the GPO Marimba a few times, and thought it worked superbly.

Thanks for the music!

Randy

Aw, Randy, your words are too kind! I'm blushing....wait, I don't need to tell you that, I can show you! There is an emoticon around here somewhere for that.... I'll find it eventually.

As far as my preference of instruments in VDL vs. GPO, at the moment, it does not really have to do with which sample I prefer over the other as much as which sound I need for the piece I am working on. I am currently only using samples that came pre-packed with Finale 2011. (Though I'm seriously considering getting a full library of percussion, just want to do more research before I make a purchase) Anyways, because I have neither the full library of GPO or Virtual Drumline, I use instruments in each depending on what I am looking for. Ah! There it is.

For example, The VDL Marimba has a softer attack (i.e., softer mallets) than the sample I have for GPO marimba. It also has a full 5-octave range, which really comes into play in the lower registers. The vibraphones are the same way, except I haven't taken the time to figure out how to get VDL vibraphones to use vibrato (if there even is a way), and so I almost always prefer GPO for that. The Timpani is the same reason as the marimba, though, I think there are a few sections in this piece I could use the GPO timpani to simulate switching to harder mallets. (Imagine switching entire sets of timpani! That would be a sight.)

Some of it, also, just comes from the way Finale works. I typically use GPO Snare Drum because the Roll sounds much better than adding a tremelo mark to the VDL Snare, but in this case, the player (staff/channel) I was using for snare was the same as some of the other VDL instruments, so it was easier to just use the VDL snare.

I also forgot to mention the Vibraslap and Crash Cymbals...The Vibraslap is VDL, and I use crash cymbals from both libraries.

Anyways, those are my excuses....I mean...reasons for using VDL over GPO in these cases
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Mr. Sanyarem, Schlagzeugmeister...
    A tip of my hat to you for several reasons:

1. It's a great piece. Your knowledge of the instruments is evident, and the writing is very engaging.
    2. The realization is also good...and...last but not least...
    3. Anyone who can make percussion work in Finale 2011 or newer must be a genius. Maybe it's a bit simpler since you
    probably had 10 separate lines with one player/instrument to a line, but percussion in Finale still requires a PhD in
    cryptology and the patience of Job, especially with multiple instruments on a staff!!

I'm glad to be hanging around a bit this weekend

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Hello there, snorlax, I'm glad you enjoyed listening to this! Yes, Finale can be frustrating sometimes with Percussion. Though I have heard the trick of placing each individual percussion instrument in its own staff, I haven't quite broken down to do that yet, but if I do get a full library with more auxiliary percussion, I may be reduced to that for quicker writing. Right now, if I really need to, I usually just use layers. What is really upsetting, is I know there is much more GPO auxiliary percussion that comes with Finale (having used it in 2008), but for some reason, it is extremely difficult to get those sounds on a staff with percussion mapping. That is something I would like to do on a rainy day (provided we get a rainy day). The other issue is mallet rolls. Ugh, they randomly decide to bleed over into the next measure, and the only way I've figured out how to fix it is to just record and re-record until I'm lucky enough to get something that plays them correctly. (But if I have a part that rolls for measures on end...forget about it)

I am definitely going to wait before purchasing a full library until I have a day I can dedicate to installing it and setting it up with Finale for these reasons.

Thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Hey Michael,

So good to hear you back at the site again ... I always look forward to your stellar percussion forays.

This one, "Sinking", was superb! I loved the descent; great underwater music. I always loved Bernard Hermann's "Beneath The 12-mile Reef" for his underwater descent music ... your's was equally evocative. Great job!

When I was in the Navy, we were involved in a near-collision with a long, concrete wharf (loss of gyro) ... from that day on, anything to do with a sinking ship has both mesmerized ... and terrified ... me! That night, I wrote a dark, dense piece called "The Collision" and your piece conjured up memories of that day.

I'd love to know the various chairs for your percussion tentet ... IOW, "Mallet 1-marimba, xylophone"; ... "Mallet 2-bells", etc.

Glad you posted this one, I enjoyed it.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hey Michael,

So good to hear you back at the site again ... I always look forward to your stellar percussion forays.

This one, "Sinking", was superb! I loved the descent; great underwater music. I always loved Bernard Hermann's "Beneath The 12-mile Reef" for his underwater descent music ... your's was equally evocative. Great job!

When I was in the Navy, we were involved in a near-collision with a long, concrete wharf (loss of gyro) ... from that day on, anything to do with a sinking ship has both mesmerized ... and terrified ... me! That night, I wrote a dark, dense piece called "The Collision" and your piece conjured up memories of that day.

I'd love to know the various chairs for your percussion tentet ... IOW, "Mallet 1-marimba, xylophone"; ... "Mallet 2-bells", etc.

Glad you posted this one, I enjoyed it.

Frank
    Hello Frank, I appreciate the anecdote, I'm really glad you enjoyed this one! I did try to avoid much of a, erm..."terrifying" sound in this one, but I can imagine where you are coming from.

I have actually not heard of Bernard Hermann, so I will have to look him up! As for the chairs, I can give you a run down in score-order.

Timpani - Timpani (in case you couldn't guess...)
    Bells - Bells (Glockenspiel), Crotales, Chimes
    Xylophone - Xylophone, Chimes
    Vibraphone 1 - Vibes
    Vibraphone 2 - Vibes (not shared with vibe 1)
    Marimba 1
    Marimba 2 - (not shared with marimba 1)
    Percussion 1 - Bass Drum, Suspended Cymbal (also used to play crashes), Tam-tam, Ratchet, Medium Triangle
    Percussion 2 - Snare Drum, Ride Cymbal, Splash Cymbal, Medium-small Triangle
    Percussion 3 - Tambourine, Chimes, Toms, Vibraslap, Suspended Cymbal (only played as crashes), Small Triangle

Note that these are the instruments that are meant to be played, not necessarily the samples I used to represent them. (i.e, suspended cymbal crashes were crash cymbal samples and I only had 2 different triangle pitches) There are also some things I simply did not attempt to recreate, such as a the bass drum being played with thin wooden sticks towards the end and a suspended cymbal being scraped with a triangle beater.

The Chimes are shared by the Bells, Xylophone, and Percussion 3 players. In situations where I want multiple players playing the same instrument, I almost always need to draw a diagram of the setup to ensure I don't have a player making a 100-yard marimba-hurdle dash to get to the instrument he/she needs to play

Thanks Frank for your comments, and thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

I love how you've mastered these percussion instruments - the music is full and evocative with lots of colour and variation, something I wouldn't have immediately associated with a percussion ensemble because I'm sure I've not heard enough of this style.

I got that sinking feeling for sure.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks for the ensemble breakdown, Michael ... I always find this interesting and educational.

Good Herrmann starters: Try Youtube-ing 'Bernard Herrmann - Vertigo (theme)' and 'Bernard Herrmann - The Duel With The Skeleton' ... it's from "7th Voyage Of Sinbad" and is loaded w/ percussion ... enjoy! (Note: There's actually the entire "Beyond The 12-mile Reef" movie on Youtube as well, but unfortunately, it's really lo-fi for the score.

Regards,

Frank

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast