• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sub-conscious ripoff check and a question for Maarten

Share/Bookmark

Sub-conscious ripoff check and a question for Maarten

I like to post my new stuff here at least once to make sure I\'m not subconsciously ripping off a theme from some movie I\'ve seen. So.. have a listen and please tell me if I\'ve ripped off something. *crosses his fingers*

EDIT: File moved to:
    http://www.samhulick.com/Hero_Theme.mp3

Oh yeah, and the question for Maarten.. why are the bones so much louder than the horns? I don\'t recall this being the case a while ago. And get this.. the trombones are at volume levels of around 80 or so.. the horns are full blast at 127! Am I missing something?

Re: Sub-conscious ripoff check and a question for Maarten

Doesn\'t sound like a movie rip-off to me. Sounds good! I really think you should boost the cello part or get some double basses in there somewhere because the bass is kind of lacking. Really good, though. Is this for \"Maximo: Army of Zin\"? I can\'t wait for that game. I\'ve always loved the \"Ghouls \'n Ghosts\" series, so I\'m hoping this one won\'t let me down. I already know the music won\'t, from what I\'ve heard. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Heya greatzed..

Yep, this is for Maximo vs. Army of Zin. Although I\'m really starting to like this melody and am considering just stashing it away and coming up with something else for the game. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You know, keeping it for down the road for something else. It almost sounds like it would be a good movie main theme. But I suppose on the negative side, if it\'s stored away, then no one will ever hear it..so what\'s the point then? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You\'re right, I listened to it in my car, and there was a definite lack of bass (except the bass drum that strikes with the cymbal crash). I\'ll have to EQ the cello section.. and/or add a bass section doubling the cellos.

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    I\'m really starting to like this melody and am considering just stashing it away and coming up with something else for the game. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You know, keeping it for down the road for something else. It almost sounds like it would be a good movie main theme. But I suppose on the negative side, if it\'s stored away, then no one will ever hear it..so what\'s the point then? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ve always wondered if composers did this. I always use to think like if Hans Zimmer is writing a score for a really crappy movie he knows is going to be a bomb, but comes up with a beautiful theme, would he actually use it for that movie? Or would he think something like \"Well, this particular film doesn\'t need something THAT good...\" Or if a composer that\'s scoring some obscure indie film that\'s only going to be seen by two thousand people is really going to try to write the best score he possibly can.

Anyways, its just neat to see someone actually say this. (And no, I\'m not comparing the game your scoring to a crappy bomb of a movie or an obscure indie film)

The only track the melody reminds me of is the theme Danny Elfman did for \"Tales From The Crypt\" on HBO. And even then it\'s a bit of a stretch.
    -Hudson

I would have to say that the opening 15 seconds or so sound a bit like Zimmers\' \'Journey to the Line\' (Which is no bad thing, man I love that tune!) but the rest is very cool.

Rich B

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    Oh yeah, and the question for Maarten.. why are the bones so much louder than the horns? I don\'t recall this being the case a while ago. And get this.. the trombones are at volume levels of around 80 or so.. the horns are full blast at 127! Am I missing something?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hello Sam,

Both have been normalized differently. The trombones have been peak normalized per indidual sample (for maximum signal), the horns per articulation section (to keep the natural dynamic curve throughout the range).

If you want you can do a normalization batch on the horns, just like you can with any Giga library. Export All from the editor, batch normalize the files, and Replace All again.

We thought the first method worked better for the bones, the second one for the horns though.

Maarten

I don\'t believe there is any ripoff here - also I think it\'s really cool, the best thing you\'ve done IMHO, if that is not too offensive! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ditto Mr Ravn

christianb

The best thing I\'ve done. I\'m so offended. Not [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks! No, that\'s not offensive.. I think it would be worse to have done better in the past and have gotten worse with time.. after all, I think all of us would rather improve with time.

Judas: I\'m pretty sure I\'m not the only composer who does this.. I imagine it\'s fairly common. I think it\'s looking at the game/movie, and looking at the track, and thinking \"this piece is meant for something else.\" After a while of working on a project, you get a feel for how the music should be, and sometimes the themes that come to your head are useful, but not for what you\'re currently working on. On the other hand, the more spec demos I submit, the higher chances I have of landing the job are higher. So it\'s a dilemma really.

Anyway, I\'m really relieved this isn\'t a ripoff! Thanks for listening.

Go Back to forum