• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Someone have a professional using of Gigastudio whith XP ?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Someone have a professional using of Gigastudio whith XP ?

Hi Crystal.

I\'m using Xp and GigaStudio 160 without problems. First with a PIII 512 Ram, now I\'m trying with an Athlon xp 1600 1 gig..
    Generally the problem are with drivers and motherboard incompability issues, I remember I had a lot of problems with a PIII 833 with Gigabyte mobo. My problems was compatibility with midi interface and audio card. I change to my old PIII (different mobo) wih the same Midi interfase and audio card and all work ok.

Pepe Ortega

Long load times point to not enough RAM. For VSL I would want 1.5 GB of RAM or more.

Crystal,

I use Gst and XP every day - no problems, until I reach a badly converted Akai sample, or just occasionally in the editor.

I don\'t have any library the size of VSL though.

I regard Giga as a reliable workhorse.

Someone have a professional using of Gigastudio whith XP ?

I know there is a lot a professional here...

So I just ask that question.

Am I dreaming or GS bugs a lot with XP ?

And with every version : 2.5, 2.53, 2.54 ...

CPU meter bugs... Long loading time to launch the soft... and a unpracticable loading time with some files, like VSL for example (till 30 minute for one file !)...

Regards

The French dyslexic who speaks badly English.

Hi Crystal,

If you\'d like to review my gear on my Official Web Site, click on the link below:

I do use Windows XP Professional...No Problem here:

http://www.alanrussellmusic.com/Equipment.htm

Alan Russell

By the way...

is there a difference between XP home and XP professional in terms of audio use ? Are you all using professional ?

And what motherboard works well in your setup ?

By the way...

is there a difference between XP home and XP professional in terms of audio use ? Are you all using professional ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The main difference between the two is in the networking. Home won\'t let you network more than 5 pc\'s. A word of warning too, I spoke to Microsoft the other day on behalf of a client and there is no upgrade path from Home to Professional. In other words, if you ever want pro you have to go and buy Xp again.

about the motherboard I just bought the new Asus P4C800 deluxe and I like it alot, I also have a MSI Neo FSri (or something like that also that should be here in a day or 2- I\'ll let ya know how that works this weekend.)

one suggestion I wold throw out is get a board that supports Serial ATA (SATA) it is the new standard and is way fast!!! Also a good idea to find one that offers Gigabit LAN incorperated to help transfer data if you use more than one system.
    On a side note, Microsoft lowered the price of their XP Pro I believe last week. It is now a good 30% cheaper than it was when it came out. You may be able to buy a copy for cheaper if you look around.

Home won\'t let you network more than 5 pc\'s.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I have 8 networked pc\'s all running Windows XP Home Edition (all registered) with no problems. I\'ve never heard of any limitation on the number of networked machines for XP Home.

James

Hey Crystal,

I\'m currently using WindowsXP Pro with Gigastudio 2.54 and it\'s working very good.

Initially I had severe problems with random restarts and lockups when doing even the most simple things (can you say: rebuilding the QuickSound database?). But after a clean reinstall of WindowsXP, and strict discipline in not installing more programs than I actually need, everything now works fine.

Some optimizations had to be done though to make it run the best:

First, use at least two harddrives and put the swap-file on the system-disc and make it large, as large as your RAM at least. Also, don\'t make too many partitions, and put the audio programs on the same partition as the Windows folder (usually c.

Secondly, choose to optimize for \"Background Tasks\" in the System settings. Speeds up things quite noticeably.

There are certainly more optimizations that can be done, but these are what came to mind as the most important ones.

Hope it works out!

Go Back to forum