• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pedalboard for Garritan Classic Pipe Organ

Share/Bookmark

Pedalboard for Garritan Classic Pipe Organ

The Garritan product I've had been waiting for some time finally arrived. For much time I used Hauptwerk (www.hauptwerk.com), but recently I switched over to the organs in GPO (not so realistic, but easier to use and more fun to play).
    Now the Garritan Classic Pipe Organs arrived which (based on the audio demos) provide better realism (the convolution reverb is fantastic)..
    But before I buy, I'm seriously considering getting a MIDI pedalboard.
    Do you know any places where one could get a MIDI pedalboard for an acceptable price? The Roland PK-25 is around 4000 EUR, which is ridiculously high.
    (And I know one Hungarian guy who creates a custom board for 600EUR and an other who creates for 1000-1500 EUR)

Re: Pedalboard for Garritan Classic Pipe Organ

Quote Originally Posted by briff View Post
    ... I'm seriously considering getting a MIDI pedalboard.
    Do you know any places where one could get a MIDI pedalboard for an acceptable price? The Roland PK-25 is around 4000 EUR, which is ridiculously high.
    (And I know one Hungarian guy who creates a custom board for 600EUR and an other who creates for 1000-1500 EUR)
    There never have been too many MIDI pedals made for the Organ.

But you have looked at this one?-- Not as much as the Roland, still expensive, but looks like it could be the best one made:

CLASSIC MIDI WORKS ORGAN PEDAL

Randy

The Garritan product I've had been waiting for some time finally arrived. For much time I used Hauptwerk (www.hauptwerk.com), but recently I switched over to the organs in GPO (not so realistic, but easier to use and more fun to play).
    Now the Garritan Classic Pipe Organs arrived which (based on the audio demos) provide better realism (the convolution reverb is fantastic)..
    But before I buy, I'm seriously considering getting a MIDI pedalboard.

Hi Briff,

If you are looking for a more affordable solution have you seen the 12 Step from Keith McMillen Instruments?

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/12step/overview

While it doesn't have the same shape as a traditional organ pedal board it may be one of the lowest cost prefab MIDI foot controllers that is set to trigger MIDI notes and chords by default. I've seen it on sale from $229-259. This seems to have some really powerful features as each note can also provide an expression via MIDI CC# messages.

There is also the Behringer FCB1010 which is an excellent expression MIDI foot controller at a bargain price. However the buttons on this controller default to program change messages rather then MIDI note numbers. So you'd need to be crafty enough with 3rd party software to interchange these messages into a MIDI note number range of your desire.

Now if you wanted to get really crafty with DIY MIDI controller you could do something like this for sub $50:

http://unrecnow.com/dust/1827

Best Regards,
    Chad

Another DIY option is the Doepfer line (MBP25):

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

Probably around $300 US by the time you've got everything bought and assembled.

There are a number of prefab MIDI pedal boards available. Suppliers include the ones from Classic Organ Works (Candada) like mentioned above, but also Viscount (available through Thomann), Laukhuff and Pausch-e. My knowledge is mostly about European makers/suppliers, but my general impression is that almost all makers and suppliers of real pipe organs also have options that include MIDI.

The cheapest solution I recon is to set aside some time, define some searches on eBay and buy a set of pedals. They do come up every now and then, and is how I got mine. Some are offered with MIDI, and some not. It's a pretty straight forward job to add MIDI to existing pedals. Since you already know Hauptwerk I recon you also know about the Hauptwerk forum where you will find a number of people happy to guide you through the process. Some die hards even build their own pedal boards - like Vidar here: http://www.fagerjord.org/index.php/o...-a-pedal-board

Personally I find that pedal boards from Roland, Hammond and Clavia are not very well suited for pipe organ simulations - they're more aimed at electric and tone wheel organs. However - pedal boards from old tone wheel organs (A100, B3 and C3) are quite often available on eBay. Also be aware of different standards - there's the straight european/german standard, AGO and BGO - and probably a lot that I don't know about. I think the AGO*-standard with it's radius and concave layout is the most comfortable to play.

AGO - (American guild of organists).
    Computermuso since intel8088

I'm bumping up this thread, as I'm close to having something interesting.
    As there is no really affordable solution for this, I've come up with my own invention, a DIY MIDI pedalboard with no moving parts, and with all electronics and everything doable with around $50.

After some talks with some friends I can see some demand for such a solution, but making something shareable from this requires quite a lot of work, and I want to go in the right direction - and for that I want to make some "market" research, as a start in the Garritan community.

So the pedalboard I've come up with looks like this (not a public video yet), and under the video come my questions:

- Would you like to have something like that?
    - Would you pay 5-10 USD to get instructions on how to do that?
    - Would you create the electronics part with your own soldering iron, creating from a DIY printed circuit kit?
    - Would you create that without a soldering iron, using only solderless methods?
    - Would you buy the electronics for around 100$ if it is already assembled and tested and you just need to cut, paste and connect the aluminium foil pedals?
    - Would you need only direct USB connection to your computer or would you standard MIDI output as well?
    - Any other thoughts?

Contact me privately or follow up here in the forum if you can, I'm very interested in your opinions.

I'm bumping up this thread, as I'm close to having something interesting.
    As there is no really affordable solution for this, I've come up with my own invention, a DIY MIDI pedalboard with no moving parts, and with all electronics and everything doable with around $50.

After some talks with some friends I can see some demand for such a solution, but making something shareable from this requires quite a lot of work, and I want to go in the right direction - and for that I want to make some "market" research, as a start in the Garritan community.

So the pedalboard I've come up with looks like this (not a public video yet), and under the video come my questions:

- Would you like to have something like that?
    - Would you pay 5-10 USD to get instructions on how to do that?
    - Would you create the electronics part with your own soldering iron, creating from a DIY printed circuit kit?
    - Would you create that without a soldering iron, using only solderless methods?
    - Would you buy the electronics for around 100$ if it is already assembled and tested and you just need to cut, paste and connect the aluminium foil pedals?
    - Would you need only direct USB connection to your computer or would you standard MIDI output as well?
    - Any other thoughts?

Contact me privately or follow up here in the forum if you can, I'm very interested in your opinions.
    - Would you like to have something like that? YES!
    - Would you pay 5-10 USD to get instructions on how to do that? NO.
    - Would you create the electronics part with your own soldering iron, creating from a DIY printed circuit kit? NO.
    - Would you create that without a soldering iron, using only solderless methods? possibly.
    - Would you buy the electronics for around 100$ if it is already assembled and tested and you just need to cut, paste and connect the aluminium foil pedals? YES.
    - Would you need only direct USB connection to your computer or would you standard MIDI output as well? USB and MIDI please.
    This would allow connection to a PC and connection to a sound module or via an existing keyboard In then thru.
    - Any other thoughts? What a great idea, I wonder why nobody has thought of it before.

It should host a 'swell' pedal perhaps, e.g. have a socket where an expression pedal could be plugged in.
    The MIDI channel on which it transmits should be assignable by the user.

Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    There is also the Behringer FCB1010 which is an excellent expression MIDI foot controller at a bargain price. However the buttons on this controller default to program change messages rather then MIDI note numbers. So you'd need to be crafty enough with 3rd party software to interchange these messages into a MIDI note number range of your desire.
    Chad, I've used this to perform an organ part, and it's possible to trigger MIDI note numbers from the foot controller. No 3rd party software required. However, for an organist, it doesn't have the feel of a real pedalboard.

Clever!

Are the pedals velocity sensitive or do they work as On/Off switches.

- Would you like to have something like that? Perhaps, but not sure if i'd actually use it.
    - Would you pay 5-10 USD to get instructions on how to do that? Probably not.
    - Would you create the electronics part with your own soldering iron, creating from a DIY printed circuit kit? Sure.
    - Would you create that without a soldering iron, using only solderless methods? Either way.
    - Would you buy the electronics for around 100$ if it is already assembled and tested and you just need to cut, paste and connect the aluminium foil pedals? In my mind i would be more interested in a robust board and then raid the electronics from some other device.
    - Would you need only direct USB connection to your computer or would you standard MIDI output as well? MIDI over USB seems adequate to me.
    - Any other thoughts? The wiring is fine for a prototype but I think for long term use it would drive me crazy. The cat would have fun with it I'm sureVery cool idea!

For those interested and adventurous I've created a guide how to build this pedalboard: http://bartruffle.blogspot.hu/2014/0...-home-for.html

Go Back to forum