• Register
  • Help

Topic: String notation question

String notation question

Howdy from Texas!

Quick question:

Is the term \"Loco\" commonly used to denote \"return to normal octave\"?

I\'m taking a score, and mock-ing it up. At one spot it has 1st Violins but with a written 8va mark (take octave up), 2nd Violins doing the same thing (and looks the same, but sounds octave down).

Now, at the spot where it would likely return the 1st violins to the written octave, it say \"Loco\". (no \'Spanish for crazy\" jokes, please)

I\'ve never seen this before. Any comments?

Re: String notation question

Austin, I\'ve never heard this term before.

Normally when the 8va line ends then you return to normal pitch.

okay, in light of that, I think what they did was put an 8va and NO LINE, with the Loco mark to indicate where to go back to written octave...

thanks for the input, guyz

I think loco is perfectly normal. 8va or 8vb, then loco. Stops you from having to write dashed lines all over your score.

At least, I\'ve always used it and nobody has looked at me askance - the way they do when you use some weird thing out of an antique orchestration book, like a punto di arco (that one got me laughed at when I did my first demo tape in 1981!).

having sat in symphony orchestra string sections for the past.. eerr..20years 10 of \'em pro. i have never come across this..

as it was mentioned.. as soon as the 8va bracket stops .. trust us, we\'ll know what to do [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It seems likely that the individual player would never see this on their part but only in the full score for spacing purposes.

I just hate it when people ostentatiously shovel on the italian in a vain attempt to prove something. To me, it just seems to make sense to have the score instructions be predominantly in the language that the performers speak.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m all for that, but I figured the orchestration book couldn\'t possibly lead me astray!

Go Back to forum