• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I want demostration how well GPO4 solo strings,and solo brass work

Share/Bookmark

I want demostration how well GPO4 solo strings,and solo brass work

I want demostration how well GPO4 solo strings,and solo brass work if i going make tune which starts solo violin and even later plays only few others like flute,oboe,ja celesta ja piano.... somehow i sure solo woodwindws work fine. but way how crescendos are made with gpo4 makes me think how well works these instruments what have richer harmonic spectrum.
    ps. looks like gpo4 is only solution what i have budget and i hope gpo4 and logic problems are solved.i know there is many clearly better solutions for what trying make but music is only hobby for me. another one ins same price range dont work chamber music type ideas and i dont maybe even want dongles.

Re: I want demostration how well GPO4 solo strings,and solo brass work

Hi, JUPEKU

Demonstration recordings of GPO are very spread out, with some at the Garritan information page about GPO:

GPO INFO AND DEMOS

And there's a Forum here where users post their music which uses GPO and the other Garritan Libraries:

THE LISTENING ROOM

But it isn't all that common to hear recordings that feature the solo instruments so much. The solo strings especially tend to be layered in recordings with the group string instruments. The solo woodwinds are universally praised as some of the best available anywhere.

You are very correct that you cannot find a better set of instruments for this price. Many of us have used GPO and Garritan instruments as our main sound sources for years. I use these instruments on a daily basis in my work.

I encourage you to get GPO and start experimenting!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by JUPEKU View Post
    I want demostration how well GPO4 solo strings,and solo brass work if i going make tune which starts solo violin and even later plays only few others like flute,oboe,ja celesta ja piano.... somehow i sure solo woodwindws work fine. but way how crescendos are made with gpo4 makes me think how well works these instruments what have richer harmonic spectrum.
    ps. looks like gpo4 is only solution what i have budget and i hope gpo4 and logic problems are solved.i know there is many clearly better solutions for what trying make but music is only hobby for me. another one ins same price range dont work chamber music type ideas and i dont maybe even want dongles.

I don't know what your'e saying. I'd compose a demo for that instrumentation, if i could make sense of it. So please reword it.

I want hear solo brass and strings form gpo4 way where there not anything else sounding sametime.
    and ewql so silver is non suitable some reasons sounds too big this kind idea. other way works somethings maybe better.
    ps. i listened factory demos and etc. but they dont show much solo things.

Quote Originally Posted by JUPEKU View Post
    I want hear solo brass and strings form gpo4 way where there not anything else sounding sametime...
    Hello, Jupeku

You're right that the posted demos for GPO focus on full orchestra. Over time I've heard a lot of nice work using the solo instruments, but those recordings are scattered all over.

So I've quickly put together an MP3 for you which demonstrates the basic solo instruments in GPO. There are many others, for instance I had to chose 1 solo violin, but there are 3 in GPO, along with the variations of extra "player" versions. But this will show you what the core solo instruments sound like.

Better demos could be made, to be sure. But I hope this humble offering will demonstrate well enough what you're asking for.

I loaded 12 instruments into ARIA which has room for 16 instruments at a time. When you write music needing more instruments, all you do is insert another instance of ARIA into your project and start loading more instruments. You can keep adding ARIAs and instruments until you've reached the extent of your computer's power.

I used nothing but ARIA for this, simply recording the MIDI tracks and then exporting the results to audio. For reverb, I used Convolution Reverb, which is one of two reverb units that come with ARIA, set to a Chamber Orchestra room.

I controlled the volume of each track with MIDI Controller 11, which works the same way as CC1 does with Garritan instruments. I know you were especially interested in hearing how the soloists respond to volume data, so I made sure to use a lot of expressive volume control on each track.

I wrote a few bars of music, and then soloed the following selection of instruments playing their parts:

flute
    oboe
    clarinet
    bassoon
    violin
    viola
    cello
    bass

Then I have those eight instruments playing together the same few measures of music.

I wrote a few more measures for a second section of music. I first soloed the following selection of solo brass
    instruments.

trumpet
    horn
    trombone
    tuba

Then those four instruments play the same musical section together.

Finally, I return to the first theme, this time with all twelve instruments playing together.

Please over look any deficiencies in the recording, and listen to how each instrument sounds alone, and when playing with the other instruments.

I hope this helps you see that GPO is the very best collection of instruments you can buy on your budget. And remember that there are many other instruments included in the Library - Group sections of strings, percussion, piano, and harp.

GPO SOLO INSTRUMENTS DEMONSTRATION

Randy

Hi Randy

That's an extremely useful demo...thanks for taking the time to do that...
    Not sure how you find the time with all the moderating you're doing ;-)

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to post the midifile you created for the demo?
    I am sure a lot of people would find it very enlightening to analyse the midi controllers, velocities etc.
    you used to produce the end result.

...and I promise not to ask the $64,000 question as to when the rest of us will get access to the new
    version of ARIA ;-)

Regards
    Tuch

Some people have same work what is their hobby rare but possible. but i listened demo now only guietly with mac mini 2009 late speaker (listen better speakers later in this day) worst are maybe strings to my taste (but flute works best what i allready thinked based what i understand how instrument timbres changes ) and even they work when there is other things and even reverb helps lot and best when we know ewql is not suitable small sections but if i want big hollywood sound is better. but i want both
    which means i think gpo4 ,and other plugins. but not ewql becouse i want more unique sound than basic bread butter sound which i means now stuff which almost all users music sound. and another reason why not ewql is too heavy my current computer and currently i dislike dongles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuchwood View Post
    Hi Randy

That's an extremely useful demo...thanks for taking the time to do that...
    Not sure how you find the time with all the moderating you're doing ;-)

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to post the midifile you created for the demo?
    I am sure a lot of people would find it very enlightening to analyse the midi controllers, velocities etc.
    you used to produce the end result.

...and I promise not to ask the $64,000 question as to when the rest of us will get access to the new
    version of ARIA ;-)

Regards
    Tuch
    Hello, Tuch!

Great, glad that little demo is useful to you. It was a fun, very short project for yesterday afternoon.

Here, I've saved the MIDI file version of it. You'll see it just has the basics - velocities as per input with my keyboard, CC11 volume control (works the same as CC1) which was also recorded live from my keyboard, and there's a touch of Pitch Bend on a couple of the instruments, and AfterTouch for vibrato on the Trumpet.

MIDI file for GPO solo instruments demo

The tracks are labeled in the MIDI file, but this screen shot of the loaded ARIA could be helpful. You can see the various volumes I set in the mixer, and the amounts of send going to the Convolution Reverb of a small chamber.

You'll notice that originally I loaded all 16 slots, but decided not to use the brass overlay sounds. I usually use those in pieces, to make the brass ring at select points.

Now with the Garritan Pipe Organ released, I wouldn't be surprised if the ARIA upgrade soon becomes available for all Garritan users. I do know that GPO and the other Libraries will need to be updated eventually to take advantage of the new controls in this ARIA.

Hi, Jupeku - Your reply appeared as I was putting this post together. Glad this was helpful. Once you have GPO, you'll see that you can get the big Hollywood sound from it also. And remember that layering various Libraries from different companies is what most people do to get the biggest, most lush sound.

Randy

I listened this and i say works some uses very good way when we look one imporant thing i mean price i think some of sounds are quality what i can imagine use even then when i get bigger (i almost wrote better which is not true there is not perfect orchestra recording (i mean real performance form real orchestra) or orchestra samples) libraries. Maybe so good is my next music software and after this i need only few maybe before some goes non working state. and i know blending thing. and all libraries have own gems. i think is even possible maybe simulate stacatto using short notes what have quick volume change...

and my idea is something violin starts tune and quickly there is also flute,piano,celesta at least maybe also marimba,and french horn. ps. i dont know if i make my idea some day. i have only timbral ideas which seems best for idea what i have,and tempo info etc for it not melodies.
    one very good thing in gpo4 sound balance is realway in gpo4
    and offtopic is garritan other products sameway i mean soundbalance thing ?

Thanks Randy....much appreciated

Cheers
    Tuch

Go Back to forum