• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Organized Chaos" by Rodney Money for Harpsichord (Score, Sample, and LIVE)

Share/Bookmark

"Organized Chaos" by Rodney Money for Harpsichord (Score, Sample, and LIVE)

I wanted to share with you all an experience that I had using samples to inspire performers to play my music. I presented Dr. Brian Bailey, who is a professor of organ and sacred music, with the score and the recording. After he read the score while the music was playing I simply asked,“Do you like it?” He said, “Yes. When would you like for me to perform it?” I told him the date and like they say, “The rest was history.”

Organized Chaos uses a modern compositional technique in which every measure modulates to a different key. So each measure acts as a pivot chord to the next. I first wrote the chord progression then melodic lines connecting them with passing tones. What started as a compositional exercise turned into an actual composition surprisingly enough. Right before Dr. Bailey was about to go on stage he turned to me with a smile and said, “You know what? This is the first time I have ever played a work that ended in a diminished 7th chord,” and in a weird way that made me happy.

Music Score: https://www.box.com/s/d4a81e741bdd10aaaa5d
    Garritan Harpsichord Sample: https://www.box.com/s/7b9e1e3f7357f9c16978
    Live Recording: (the live recording was in Rosen Concert Hall) https://www.box.com/s/73465506d02260df0299
    ~Rodney

Re: "Organized Chaos" by Rodney Money for Harpsichord (Score, Sample, and LIVE)

What can I say? Wonderful idea and even beautiful realization! Never heard about this way of composing!
    Very very nice, it's all I have to say =D

Best,

Andrea
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

"Square" - The debut album by Andrea Maria Ottavini

Available on http://cdbaby.com/cd/amottavini

Shortly even through iTunes, Napster, Great Indie Music and USA Stores.

Hi, Rodney - What a great post!

Wonderful story about demoing the piece, and Dr. Bailey immediately agreeing to perform it.

And it's always a special treat when someone is able to post both the MIDI demo and live performance versions of their music. That happens once in awhile here, and it's always so interesting. It's inspiring to play the two versions, to hear how successful Garritan driven demos can be, and to listen for the differences between MIDI and live. --Nice to hear applause from the audience at the end, too!

"Organized Chaos" is an apt title! My personal taste veers away from a lot of contemporary music, it often sounds so random and cacophonous that I can't say I enjoy or appreciate it. But - it can be interesting! hehe - horrible word to use in feedback, "interesting." I'm just saying that the piece itself doesn't do anything for me, but I'm pleased to hear an example of your work, and I admire it very much that you had this experience of having it performed!

Randy

I'm certainly with Randy on this one. Great to have a piece written, mocked up, and then performed. Though the piece itself is far removed from what I would listen to. I enjoyed the story attached to it. Even more so due to it being performed on a harpsichord.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hello there, Rodney, thanks for posting this! Though I'm in the same boat as everyone else in that this is not typically the style of music I typically listen to, I enjoyed this very much! And yes, it is always great to hear live versus sampled music!

That is an interesting composition technique, I've always wanted to try something along those lines, only instead of the key signature changing, the time signature would change every measure. I'm not sure I would have the patience to write it, though

Great job and congratulations on the performance!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

I understand completely that this is not the type of music that the ears are accustomed to, but with compositions using contemporary technique I presume that the ultimate goal is to discover new sounds. The listener is used to music that has a songlike melody with supporting chords and a form that provides a strong structure so the listener feels satisfied that the work came in full circle by its conclusion. Concerning structure, I can give you support! The form of “Organized Chaos” is simply ABB. A is from measures 1-16, B is from measures 17-32, and then B is simply repeated with some added grace notes for color and contrast. At the end of each B section a ritard brings us to the end of its phrase. Obviously, there is a larger ritard at the end of the second B section.

I wanted to make an attempt to let you hear just the “melody”of the work so I isolated the pitches simply with the violin in an attempt that the line will sound more “songlike” or melodic. Trust me, you won’t hurt my feelings if it’s still not “your cup of tea” but I just wanted to share.
    ~Rodney

B section, measures 32 to the end: https://www.box.com/s/4669cf775a7acd0dc54c

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    I wanted to make an attempt to let you hear just the “melody”of the work so I isolated the pitches simply with the violin in an attempt that the line will sound more “songlike” or melodic...
    oh, well I'm sure none of us wanted to offend you, Rodney. But I can see we made you feel defensive. Speaking for myself, there just isn't much atonal, modern work that I find interesting. It seems academic to me, with the audience only being other academic types. I don't insist music be "melodic" per se, but whatever form it takes, I do want it to engage as much of me as possible, and not just my mind.

There was a great guy who used to be on the Forum posting music all the time. He and I had a friendly joke going back and forth, with me basically saying that he was writing "cat walking on the piano" stuff. I would always try like all get out to find things to like in what he posted, and I usually could, but he knew that for me it was more of a chore than a pleasure to listen to his new projects.

THIS is a fun experiment, isolating what could be called the melodic line of your "Chaos" piece. Now that I've heard the solo violin, I think what I'd like is a marriage of the two versions. Harpsichord playing the rhythm and bed to the piece, with the violin on top giving some shape to the proceedings. I think I'd like that.

Thanks for the new post - And hope my added thoughts about modern experimental music make my own thoughts on the subject more clear.

Randy

Hey Randy! Trust me my friend I took no offence or trying to be defensive what so ever. I promise, and I knew exactly what you meant. It's all good! The posts actually inspired me to see if what I heard in my head concerning melody was actually coming across on the harpsichord. It was so much fun hearing the work on a different instrument and joining all of the melodic motifs. I like your idea of bringing the two together. It might actually breath some new life in the piece.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    oh, well I'm sure none of us wanted to offend you, Rodney. But I can see we made you feel defensive. Speaking for myself, there just isn't much atonal, modern work that I find interesting. It seems academic to me, with the audience only being other academic types. I don't insist music be "melodic" per se, but whatever form it takes, I do want it to engage as much of me as possible, and not just my mind.

There was a great guy who used to be on the Forum posting music all the time. He and I had a friendly joke going back and forth, with me basically saying that he was writing "cat walking on the piano" stuff. I would always try like all get out to find things to like in what he posted, and I usually could, but he knew that for me it was more of a chore than a pleasure to listen to his new projects.

THIS is a fun experiment, isolating what could be called the melodic line of your "Chaos" piece. Now that I've heard the solo violin, I think what I'd like is a marriage of the two versions. Harpsichord playing the rhythm and bed to the piece, with the violin on top giving some shape to the proceedings. I think I'd like that.

Thanks for the new post - And hope my added thoughts about modern experimental music make my own thoughts on the subject more clear.

Randy

Hi Rodney,

I'll echo most of the previous comments: So great to post the virtual performance, score, and an actual performance ... excellent of you to share this complete package! Great for analysis and to learn from. Thanks.

Although I live closer to the tonal, simpler music forms, I do enjoy taking a ride beyond the gates every once in a while. It's easier for me to try and create something in this area (where I know where the music is heading), versus listening to a piece like this where it's harder for me to follow (and absorb) something this unknown.

As far as the concept of constantly shifting the tonality at every measure (which is a pretty cool concept!), in jazz, nearly the same effect is accomplished through extensive tonicization ... as a matter of fact, can you tell me where the two concepts actually differ? (For a great example of extensive tonicization, check-out Bob Brookmeyer's "First Love Song")

Anyway, although I won't be humming 'Chaos' in the shower tomorrow, I liked listening to it ... helps keep my ears from growing back into my head!

Regards,

Frank

Well I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is the type of music I enjoy, even a little "tame" compared to some of the stuff I listen to :-)

Keep up the good work.

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast