• Register
  • Help

Topic: old Roland Solo Strings Vol 1

Share/Bookmark

old Roland Solo Strings Vol 1

Anybody remember/use this?

I was rummaging and \"rediscovered\" this disk. I forgot I had it, and haven\'t used it of course for years (don\'t recall using it much before, either). Let\'s see: Roland Solo Strings Vol. 1, copyright 1993....L-CDP-05...translated to Giga (thanks, Garth!)...

I\'m thinking of experimenting with layering it on some sections, etc.

anybody use this, have comments/memories?

Any particularly special patches, etc.?

Was hoping to refine the exploration process a little. Not much discussion here or web-wide that I can find...

TIA

Re: old Roland Solo Strings Vol 1

My plan, my secret was not to use a new leading strings library and to go back to the old days, to the vintage sounds of Roland. So my advice is that you better stay away from them. It\'s mine. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

------------
    Alex Cremers

And it\'s 16 bit , for Christ\'s sake!

------------
    Alex Cremers

There should be a muted violin called
    STR Vl mut vb 1a
    which sounds quite sweet by itself and also layers well with the other Roland string ensembles, depending on the sound you want.

I know people who absolutely refuse to retire their Roland 760\'s solely because of those old Roland string/brass/percussion libraries...kinda reminds me of the time Chuck Heston raised a rifle over his head yelling \"Not from my cold dead hands\" at an NRA convention...they\'re *that* fanatical about it. Point is the old Roland stuff seems to be worth having in any event, and would prolly convert over to giga format reasonably well.
    -Hudson

Chicken Systems claims Translator optionally converts the samples into Giga with that special unique Roland sampler sound. And you know what? It\'s kinda true! But you haven\'t heared this from me. My lipps are sealed. Sssstttt...

------------
    Alex Cremers

I layer the marcato strings from the Roland library all the time with SI strings. Also, some of the low strings have a great low end presence which I layer with GOS and SI.

Colin

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    Chicken Systems claims Translator optionally converts the samples into Giga with that special unique Roland sampler sound. And you know what? It\'s kinda true! But you haven\'t heared this from me. My lipps are sealed. Sssstttt...

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Whats that \"special unique Roland sampler sound\"??/

Ed

Ed, this is from the Translator manual.

The wavedata information sampled with a Roland S-700 Series sampler is treated with a Frequency Emphasis boost, which pumps up the high end. When the Roland plays the sound out of its outputs, its internal hardware filters compensate for the built in frequency emphasis, making the sample sound normal again.
    Actually, all samplers do this, but the Roland did it intentionally with a much greater effect than normal.

What this means is that if you transferred normal 16-bit wavedata from any other source to the Roland, and then played it through the Roland, it will sound duller since the outputs would be de-emphasizing the high end, without the data being emphasized first. Conversely, any Roland sound data you play through another medium will sound tinny, since the frequency emphasis is not being filtered.

Go Back to forum